Sign in to follow this  
cmclien

How have you treated swim bladder issues?

This kind of goes along with jeana727's post about drinking air, but more specifically I am wondering if you have had success with dealing with this issue and what has worked for you? For instance, I found this article:

http://freshaquarium...er_disorder.htm

that I thought was very informative and it listed raising water temps among other things. Has adding a heater helped any of you etc? or has something else you have done helped?

Edited by cmclien

Honestly, I think it depends on the fish and the environment in how you might go through treating it. I've heard that gel foods (Homemade, Repashy, etc.) are something to be looked into when dealing with 'floaty' fish, though. Because they are normally not made with fillers or air in the process they seem to help keep the floating from occurring too often, more as a preventative than a treatment. The treatment I have heard most about is fasting and peas, though.

I started mine on repashy 3 days ago, so maybe it will take time? I give them about 1/4 - 1/2 pea with each meal also just to help keep them regular as one of them has major constipation issues, (ironically, not the floaty one). Hoping the repashy helps with that too.

Edited by cmclien

I've heard from others to be careful with the peas too often (like daily) as they can make a fish gassy. Do you have any green beans on-hand? Those work well too. And yeah, it takes time to 'heal' like most other disorders and diseases goldies get.

[e] Also, with the constipation you might want to consider fasting that goldfish so it has time to 'clear out.'

Edited by GoldenSpoiledRotten

Yes, I have green beans, I can switch to those for a few days and see if that helps.

I would only feed them peas once a week max. Goldies really shouldn't have them as a staple diet ;) beans would be a great substitute or maybe zuccini, kale, spinach,or cucumber :)

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

I would only feed them peas once a week max. Goldies really shouldn't have them as a staple diet ;) beans would be a great substitute or maybe zuccini, kale, spinach,or cucumber :)

Do you think the peas would contribute to their floatiness issues then? Because right now they are really bad, both of them. My ryu's hump is out of the water :(

I just fed them a little bit of green beans, nothing else. I will repeat that in a few hours, I'm giving them tiny amounts, like about .25 inch of a green bean at a time so that they can digest it.

I've heard from others to be careful with the peas too often (like daily) as they can make a fish gassy. Do you have any green beans on-hand? Those work well too. And yeah, it takes time to 'heal' like most other disorders and diseases goldies get.

[e] Also, with the constipation you might want to consider fasting that goldfish so it has time to 'clear out.'

Actually if the swim bladder is becoming misformed by odd growth and not an infection or illness it is something that will most likely worsen as the fish grows and the swim bladder becomes more and more compressed.

Do you think the peas would contribute to their floatiness issues then? Because right now they are really bad, both of them. My ryu's hump is out of the water :(

I just fed them a little bit of green beans, nothing else. I will repeat that in a few hours, I'm giving them tiny amounts, like about .25 inch of a green bean at a time so that they can digest it.

Peas can actually make floaters worse in some cases. I would try green beas or kale. If they're really floaty I'd just fast them however.

Most of the time this poor guy is constipated and laying at the bottom, so I give him peas to get him up and going which always works. Now here I am with the opposite problem tonight. Always seems worse at night, do you know why? I am wondering if I should feed repashy in the morning and beans the rest of the day?

He is really floaty today, the worst I have seen him with his hump still out of the water after hours of this. I will fast him until he appears to be swimming more normally. Sometimes by morning he is all better OR I find him laying on the bottom in the morning! so then I give him peas. I feel like I'm in a vicious cycle and can't seem to work out what to feed them, between the floating and the laying on the floor of the aquarium. He is a big boy, heavy for his length and when he lays too long then his ventral fins get little blood streaks in them that don't go away until he's swimming again. Today was repashy and peas, obviously a mistake. Maybe just repashy, or maybe just green beans? I feel like it shouldn't be so hard for me to figure this all out yet day after day they have buoyancy issues.

I have ordered the heater, it should be here tomorrow.

When he has the problem, he is just laying on the bottom, he will periodically swim around and then lays back down again. It appears to be constipation related which is why I switched to repashy a couple days ago and why I feed lots of peas. Today was the first day in awhile when I got up he was not laying down but swimming so I am hoping that is because of the switch to repashy. Maybe the combination of repashy and peas was too much and made him float.

Just FYI He was treated for 2 weeks with M&M's and had 4 rounds of prazi. Like I told Alex here, there were no buoyancy problems for those 2 weeks he was on the MM's, it was a nice break :)