Sign in to follow this  
redgold54

Best way to keep water crystal clear

According to your experience what is the best/most effective way that you have found keeps YOUR tank water crystal clear?

Frequent water changes and filter maintenance. A UV filter will also be very helpful.

Adding koi clay has helped tremendously for me as well.

I agree with Alex :)

And for me I sometimes get this white/grey haze in the water that I find I can only get rid of with carbon. I have 3 hob filters, so two of my filters are just plain ol filter pad and one is carbon. It seems to have taken care of the problem.

Frequent water changes and filter maintenance. A UV filter will also be very helpful.

Adding koi clay has helped tremendously for me as well.

using koi clay as substrate?

It's not a substrate. There is a certain amount (very small) that I add right after water changes. There is a link in my thread about koi clay :)

Using the fine white filter wool ontop of your standard filter floss/sponge will help remove alot of small particles, if you dont already use it.

It does need frequent cleaning/replacing though, and doesnt have any positive effect on your cycle, just visually clearer water.

I've recently within the last few months begun using seachem purigen in my tanks, and they keep the water super clear. Although chemical filtration isn't really needed, it is still a great media for removing organic matter, keeping the water clear, and it doesn't need to be replaced as it can be regenerated several times before needing replacement (I've had mine for about 4 months and regenerated it once)

I actually rarely have cloudy water or anything other than crystal clear. For a while I used filter 'pads' that contained diatomacious earth in them which really made the tank sparkle (even if it initially makes the tank cloudy :rofl) It helped cut down on the diatom growth too, I really should get more of that!

I have the 25 watt UV sterilizer from Goldfish Connection and it is awesome! The fish look like they're swimming in air. I also have the smaller one from Goldfish Connection and that one works great as well! :) I prefer the 25 watt one though since it also kills free-swimming bacteria.

I never recommend adding "clarity chemicals" in the tank, but that's just me. As previously mentioned, proper filter maintentance and routine water changes are key, and in most situations, all you will need.

I have the 25 watt UV sterilizer from Goldfish Connection and it is awesome! The fish look like they're swimming in air. I also have the smaller one from Goldfish Connection and that one works great as well! :) I prefer the 25 watt one though since it also kills free-swimming bacteria.

i was thinking of getting one of those. After seeing your videos on youtube it pretty much makes it a no brainer to get one. : )

I just have good filtration a bit more than the recommended 10 X per gallon (700gph in my 55) and (350gph in my 29high) and do frequent large w/c's

Adding a 3rd filter definitely helped my water clarity too so now I'm at 600gph or 15% more than my 40g would require at the 10x.

So this is the first time I've heard of Koi clay. After reading the posts I'm wondering. What is best for your tank, a UV sterilizer, Koi Clay or carbon? I was having issues with my tank not being very clear even with a wet/dry filter, so I added another filter and it cleared right up. But it came with some carbon so I don't know if the carbon cleared it up or the filter. I just took the carbon out because it was a month old. My tank still looks clear but it has only been since Sun. Always looking for the best thing for our fish babies.

Jaime, I opt for koi clay AND the UV. The koi clay because it has so many other properties, other than helping to clear the water :)

Quadruple post! lol How'd you manage that Alex? :rofl

LOL. How else would I inflate my post count?

Anyway, Tapatalk was being stupid on my phone.

LOL. How else would I inflate my post count?

Anyway, Tapatalk was being stupid on my phone.

Aha, trade secrets revealed! :rofl