Sign in to follow this  
Pearlscaleperfect

Kai Update!

So I know, two topics in one day?! Well I took these a few days ago when I cleaned the tank but just got around to sorting them out now, so I have some recent pictures of kai for you all! Here is a previous comparison pic from august (I have to make a new one)

Here is what she looks like today!

DSC07913_zpsb4d133b2.jpg

fat and growing like a weed! I'm pleased to see her eyes are still in proportion with her skull size, I'm so afraid of stunting haha, even with waterchanges!

1-1_zpsdf8cee7d.jpg

2-2_zpsa1253383.jpg

3-3_zpsc23d29a9.jpg

Still fairly short tailed! I'm interesting to see if her fin proportions stay the same while she grows

4-4_zpsced4bac9.jpg

Determined to be a tosakin!

5-5_zpseb088a63.jpg

How can you resist that face?!

6_zpsbd0fb106.jpg

Current tank layout! finally superglued all the plants down and the vals are starting to get big!

7-7_zps12d1bc7e.jpg

'feeeeeed meeeeee'

8-8_zps2bb459a6.jpg

DSC07938_zps2112d83d.jpg

my nerite named jerry

Thanks for looking :) You guys must get tired of my constant updates but I feel like she gets bigger every day!

Very nice job! That hump is coming along nicely, and there is quite a bit of body depth! :)

Tired of your updates? Never!

Kai looks great, and I'm glad you included a photo of your nerite too! Is in an olive nerite?

Very nice job! That hump is coming along nicely, and there is quite a bit of body depth! :)

Thank you! I've never seen such growth from a fish I've had so I think I'm doing something right :rofl She's getting so tall!

Tired of your updates? Never!

Kai looks great, and I'm glad you included a photo of your nerite too! Is in an olive nerite?

thanks :teehee Yes it's an olive! They're cheapest so I tend to buy them when I go snail shopping, don't need em to look pretty just munch diatoms!

Also I've read on here that calicos tend to not have as pronounced humps as other colors? does anyone know if this is true and if so why? I'm pretty curious.

I have never read that about calicos at all and judging from the calicos that helen has I'd say that would not be accurate.

What I HAVE read however (in an old daryl post) is that the second hump is mostly affected by .... ok I can't remember now. It was either that it was a fat deposit or a meat layer and that carbs were good or bad for developing the hump. I'm useless :rofl

I've also recently read that you have a small window when grooming ryukins humps and it needs to be done fast when they are young or they will never develop to the full potential. (also can't remember where I read that but it makes sense that older fish can't conform to a new body type as easily as younger fish)

Either way Kai is a BEAUT :wub:

Kai is beautiful............. :clapping:

You must be proud of your water baby !!!............... :clapping:

Kai is so gorgeous, what a beautiful fish!

I am guessing the fins will stay in proportion to the body as they are right now. Maybe a little growth in length, but from what I see short finned fish usually stay short finned :)

Very nice.. Love the tank too :)

Kai is beautiful. I love her shiny scales! :wub:

aww what a pretty and chubby fishy you have there :) thanks for the update!! I love these :)

She looks amazing. She is a very unusual color too.

Is it a 20 Gallon tank? I love your tank layout for one goldfish.

Kai is just stunning :heart she is growing so nicely and I love the tank set up :)

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Kai is so cute. I love her colours and body shape!

P.S. I really like that your nerite snail is called Jerry, I just think that is really sweet.

Edited by Frenzy

What a cute fish. I too like your tank set up and wondering what size it is for your one goldie.

It's good to know that the calico color in relation to hump size is a myth! I thought it seemed odd but I had seen it mentioned a few times.

Is it a 20 Gallon tank? I love your tank layout for one goldfish.

What a cute fish. I too like your tank set up and wondering what size it is for your one goldie.

Yes that is a 20 gal! The plants are 3 different anubias species and corkscrew vals which are still growing! This is not her final tank but it is suitable for her for the time being. This tank is in my apartment at my college so it has to be fairly small, I might try and fit a 30 high next year though. :rofl

I love your kai updates, im so jealous of the growth spurts you get from your little guys. >:P Keep up the good work and teach me your secrets!

That is some really great growth for such a short amount of time! Kai is adorable and please keep,the updates coming!!

I love your kai updates, im so jealous of the growth spurts you get from your little guys. > :P Keep up the good work and teach me your secrets!

That is some really great growth for such a short amount of time! Kai is adorable and please keep,the updates coming!!

Thank you! The key is to start really young and just bulk em up! Plus Kai just seems to have the genes for fast growth! :rofl