Help!

Edgar

My little cousin (she is 2) decided to buy me fish today >.<. It was very nice of her to think of me but now I don't know what to do with the fish. I'm setting up QT at the moment and I guess they can go into my tropical tank. Now the problem is that I have no idea what species two of the fish are. She got me one guppy and two other fish that look like barbs. Can anyone help identify these two fish?

102_6376_zps473591c7.jpg102_6375_zps4d3d547c.jpg

Its hard to see through the bag, but they look like they could be Rosy Barbs to me.

They are fish that really ought to be kept in 6+ numbers otherwise they can be prone to fin nipping on tankmates (like any barbs really).

I've never kept them myself but they are allegedly community safe IF they are kept in big enough numbers and you dont have other fish with long trailing fins (so they may not be ideal with the male guppy).

I would be V. wary of adding them into a community tank, especially without bulking their numbers up.

Maybe somebody else here has experience of keeping them and can give more advice?

Another vote for rosy barbs. They are usually pretty mellow in larger numbers, but can be nippy with just the 2. The problem is that they can get to be 5", but usually stay around 3 in a tank, and you really need 6+ of them- so, you're looking at a lot of tank space, if you happen to get some 5 inchers. They also like cooler tanks than most tropicals (65-75), but, can tolerate temps at about 80... they're pretty hardy. Oh, and they tend to be plant eaters, but, will usually leave your plants alone if you give them spinach as an alternative. They are really pretty when swimming in a group, though! Very nice color, and very shimmery. I kept them about 20 years ago in a group of 6- they were pretty little fish... mine stayed around 2 and 3 inches each, and didn't bother any other fish- they were kept with platties, mollies, sword tails and some cories.

Thanks! I checked out a few rosy barb pictures and they look exactly like the ones I have. Now i don't know what to do! I guess I can take the barbs back, and exchange them for guppies. Or maybe get 4 more rosy barbs and exchange the guppy.

Darn it those Rosy Barbs look so nice swimming together! Now I want to keep them and buy more, but then I have no idea what to do with the little guppy. She is a really nice bright orange and I think she is pregnant. AHHHHH what to do, what to do...... :krazy:

Are rosy barbs generally as aggressive as tiger barbs? If not do you guys think it would work out if i get 4 more tiger barbs and keep that 1 guppy alone. Do you think they would bother her in the 20 gal?

Tiger barbs are MUCH more aggressive than rosy barbs that are kept in an appropriate sized school. You could try the guppy in there with the rosy barbs and tetras, if you have a lot of plants... otherwise, a 10 gallon starter kit (tank, light, & filter) at Wally World is like $30, a little heater is $14, and a bag or gravel is $3... if you have the spare funds and space, might be fun to do a little nano guppy tank with a bunch more guppies and plants! *wink wink*

Tiger barbs are MUCH more aggressive than rosy barbs that are kept in an appropriate sized school. You could try the guppy in there with the rosy barbs and tetras, if you have a lot of plants... otherwise, a 10 gallon starter kit (tank, light, & filter) at Wally World is like $30, a little heater is $14, and a bag or gravel is $3... if you have the spare funds and space, might be fun to do a little nano guppy tank with a bunch more guppies and plants! *wink wink*

Lol I would love a guppy tank, but I must resist the temptation. I think I might just buy 4 more barbs and keep the guppy. If it does not work out I guess I can keep the guppy in the 5 gal. qt tank and move the barbs out to the tropical tank.

DARN IT! Every time I make up my mind about returning the barbs I see those little guys swimming around so happily and then change my mind about returning them. >.< They are so active and look so nice swimming up and down. They would look great in my 20 gal.

Keep them in the 20 gallon, they will get along fine with the tetras. They really are mild mannered, unlike the tiger barbs (who are little striped terrors). If they pick on the guppy, you could always get a few more guppies, maybe a few red cherry shrimp, and plants for the 5 gallon. That would also be gorgeous, and the shrimp and guppies wouldn't mind the small tank at all. In a school of 6+, though, if there is plant cover- you have good chances that they will leave him/her alone. They really are a very mild mannered fish, when kept in a school. They are also really pretty in a large school when they fully color up,and they're so metallic- it's really eye catching, and they provide a lot of dramatic flash and movement. I really enjoyed them when I kept them- it is making me want to go out and get some for my community tank just talking about them. LOL. They're definitely a nice addition to a community tank- a lot of bang for the buck, and pretty laid back. I'm totally a fish enabler, though... I would totally do barbs and tetras in the 20, and then a little 5 gallon guppy and shrimp tank with some heavy plants. :D