Sign in to follow this  
redgold54

Driftwood...

i eventually want to add anubias to my tank (attached to driftwood). I was wondering where you get your driftwood from?

I went to a fish store yesterday and they only had rock (small and expensive)

I had mine gotten on ebay recently. It was a good price for a large piece, free shipping. Let me go find the link. :)

OK here you go, the link to the ebay store I bought from. They have great prices and very nice pieces of wood, and some of them are even with free shipping (as was mine).

http://stores.ebay.com/cumberlandriverdriftwood

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

I had mine gotten on ebay recently. It was a good price for a large piece, free shipping. Let me go find the link. :)

OK here you go, the link to the ebay store I bought from. They have great prices and very nice pieces of wood, and some of them are even with free shipping (as was mine).

http://stores.ebay.c...driverdriftwood

Did you have to boil yours?

I've heard people boil driftwood to remove snails and other stuff.

The wood they sell is completely dry. I highly doubt that any aquatic creature really survives on the fully dried wood.

The piece I bought was too large to boil, so I soaked it in water for... 2 weeks or so, to make it sink (fully dry wood often floats). I kept replacing the water every other day with the hottest water my tap would produce (which is extremely hot in my case).

I have had only 1 critter come with the wood, which was a cute little pill bug which got forced off the wood when it was soaking. I fished it out and put it in my back yard to live with all the other pill bugs on my patio :lol

There were no problems that I encountered with the wood. It was great quality, no rotting parts, no unusual dirt (a little bit of dust and small pieces of wood coming off), no pests. There is a little bit of moss on my piece, but it is doing fine in my tank.

I don't know if there is any other way to disinfect driftwood. Due to its porous material, I would not trust using bleach, vinegar or salt on it. The wood might absorb too much of it and then slowly release it into the tank, harming the fish. Boiling or soaking are the only things I would do with driftwood :)

EDIT: Now that I think of it, a Potassium Permanganate soak would probably be fine. It should not discolor the wood (brown discoloration on brown wood LOL) and the PP will get neutralized by Hydrogen Peroxide added to the water. Should have though of that earlier :D

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

The wood they sell is completely dry. I highly doubt that any aquatic creature really survives on the fully dried wood.

The piece I bought was too large to boil, so I soaked it in water for... 2 weeks or so, to make it sink (fully dry wood often floats). I kept replacing the water every other day with the hottest water my tap would produce (which is extremely hot in my case).

I have had only 1 critter come with the wood, which was a cute little pill bug which got forced off the wood when it was soaking. I fished it out and put it in my back yard to live with all the other pill bugs on my patio :lol

There were no problems that I encountered with the wood. It was great quality, no rotting parts, no unusual dirt (a little bit of dust and small pieces of wood coming off), no pests. There is a little bit of moss on my piece, but it is doing fine in my tank.

I don't know if there is any other way to disinfect driftwood. Due to its porous material, I would not trust using bleach, vinegar or salt on it. The wood might absorb too much of it and then slowly release it into the tank, harming the fish. Boiling or soaking are the only things I would do with driftwood :)

EDIT: Now that I think of it, a Potassium Permanganate soak would probably be fine. It should not discolor the wood (brown discoloration on brown wood LOL) and the PP will get neutralized by Hydrogen Peroxide added to the water. Should have though of that earlier :D

Wow thank you!

My tank is fairly large (tall version of the 100gallons) so I don't want to buy a piece of drifwood and not have something to boil it soak it in.

Someone on here a while ago used a metal garbage can and made a little platform with bricks and put barbeque charcoals on the inside of the platform and lit it then boiled his driftwood in the big garbage can. Worked great for him!

I highly reccomend boiling it because it gets out most of the tannins so you don't have to worry about it discoloring your water and changing the pH as much. It is also much quicker because I am impatient hahaha

Please be careful when using Drift wood in a tank... If your Ph or KH is to low the wood will lower it farther down. :o

Also make sure you have plenty of aeration in the tank or you will wind up with stagnate water :o

Its generally best to boil or soak wood until it stops discolouring the water. I also have a piece of wood in my tank which was too large to boil and I did similar to Fang, I just used hot tap water in a bucket, soaked one end at a time until the water stopped discolouring and the wood was totally waterlogged. I did also periodically fill the bucket up with water boiled in a kettle just to make it extra hot.

Its also a good idea to scrub the wood with some sort of clean brush (like a nail brush or bottle cleaner) while its soaking just to get any dust etc that may have settled onto it while its been sitting around in a suppliers storage or shopfront.

Koko is right - wood can effect water chemistry. The more it is pre-soaked the less likely this is to happen.

I have a friend who swears by buying the wood from show tanks in shops, because its usually been soaking for a long time before you buy it and will have leached most or all of the tannins out. I have asked her about the danger of bringing disease home from the store tanks but she says she just boils it for a few hours when she gets it home to kill anything in/on it - I am not suggesting you do this yourself, just putting it out there.

it often take very long time to soak or even boil!!! my 3-year old wood still discolour the water.