Sign in to follow this  
redgold54

Do you recommend this canister filter? Please....

Found it on ebay. My tank is 110 gallons and I want to increase filtration. So far all I have is 350g/hour

Sorry I thought I had posted the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261107831955?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Edited by redgold54

Would you please post a link? That way we can get a better idea of what canister filter you are talking about.

Would you please post a link? That way we can get a better idea of what canister filter you are talking about.

Sorry about that. Link is posted.

I believe Ashlee18 had used this brand before, and it broke after 1 year.

I have one of these filters, and I have no complaints about it at all! It's been running for about 6 mos, and is pretty easy to maintain. The baskets on it are good sized, and fit a lot of media. I have the bottom basket & the very top basket filled with a bunch of floss, and then middle 2 filled with about 200 bio balls, sandwiched between a bottom and a top layer of coarse filter pads. The UV bulb is not very strong wattage, so, I don't know if it actually reduces pathogens, but, it does do an excellent job of making your water super polished and clarified. It needs to be replaced every 2-3 months, though, so, this is something to consider, when calculating the operating costs. The only complaint I have is that I wish there were handles on the sides of the unit to make it easier to maneuver when moving it to clean it. The sides are smooth, and it is pretty heavy- the latches on the top to hold the lid down will pop up if you try to use them for picking it up. Also, be very careful to not bump the valve at the top that closes the hoses off when you disconnect them and move it for cleaning, or you will dump water on to your floor. The valve doesn't lock hard into place when closing the hoses off, but, it does not leak when closed. Other than those 2 relatively minor complaints- I love it as a large, high capacity filter for a very reasonable price. It is my first canister, though, so, I really don't have any basis of comparison.

Unless you it's a high wattage UV (15+) coupled with low flow, you aren't likely going to be killing any pathogens.

I have one of these filters, and I have no complaints about it at all! It's been running for about 6 mos, and is pretty easy to maintain. The baskets on it are good sized, and fit a lot of media. I have the bottom basket & the very top basket filled with a bunch of floss, and then middle 2 filled with about 200 bio balls, sandwiched between a bottom and a top layer of coarse filter pads. The UV bulb is not very strong wattage, so, I don't know if it actually reduces pathogens, but, it does do an excellent job of making your water super polished and clarified. It needs to be replaced every 2-3 months, though, so, this is something to consider, when calculating the operating costs. The only complaint I have is that I wish there were handles on the sides of the unit to make it easier to maneuver when moving it to clean it. The sides are smooth, and it is pretty heavy- the latches on the top to hold the lid down will pop up if you try to use them for picking it up. Also, be very careful to not bump the valve at the top that closes the hoses off when you disconnect them and move it for cleaning, or you will dump water on to your floor. The valve doesn't lock hard into place when closing the hoses off, but, it does not leak when closed. Other than those 2 relatively minor complaints- I love it as a large, high capacity filter for a very reasonable price. It is my first canister, though, so, I really don't have any basis of comparison.

Awesome! I'm on a really tight budget so I can't afford those expensive canisters. What do you mean by "floss"?

filter floss. Some people call it quilt batting. It's a really fine material used for polishing the water, and helping to keep it super clear. :)

Filter floss= http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ribbon-Polyester-Filter-Fiber/dp/B000255NOG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1350095501&sr=8-3&keywords=filter+floss

I have also known people to use Polyfiill from the craft section of Walmart, saying it is the same thing. It is safer to just get the stuff approved for use with fish, though, in case there are any extra chemicals, or whatever, used in the other stuff. For that sized bag, it would run just about $12 and last 3 mos, or so.

Unless you it's a high wattage UV (15+) coupled with low flow, you aren't likely going to be killing any pathogens.

Exactly what I was thinking... The bulb is only 9 watt, and I wouldn't consider it to be low flow, but I could be wrong. Good for water polishing? Sure... killing off ich spores or anything like that... probably not. :D

Ich takes the most powerful of the UVs to kill, and even then it won't be a complete eradication.

With 9w, you can reasonably expect water clarity, but that's about it. :)

I have the 264gph one for 2 months and so far loving it. There's a great review for one in this forum products review section, that pretty much made my decision.

They come under different brand names but I believe they're all similar, and have amazing feedbacks throughout. Mine came inside a very professionally packed SunSun box.

I also have this filter and spot on, description is spot on too :) had mine about a year and no worries, would add that clips on the top are cheap plastic and have had on break on me when it was delivered, but they sent out a new one for me no charge, but would say there's not really a lot of media with this and can top up with more

I have two of those filters, Iv'e had them for over three years and never had to replace any parts (except the UV bulb). The flow rates are slower than top brands however they do provide a no bypass filtration and can hold a ton of media. Def. a good value.

i got a similar no-name 1200 litre an hour filter with no uv. it worked fine but found it a little bit noisy to be honest. mine is kept on bare floorboards, not in a cupboard under the tank or the like. pulled it apart & found it was the impeller making the rattling noise & although nothing was actually wrong with it, it was annoying me & after 2 days i bought an eheim 2217 to replace it (which is almost dead silent btw!) i think the cheapies are hit & miss, they may work well for a while but if something does break you may not be able to replace the part & have to buy another complete unit. totally understand the budget issue tho, it was a stretch for me to fork out for an eheim but the silence pleases me greatly. others have had success with cheaper canisters, i hope it works out for you! :D