Tropicals and goldfish

glublove

The gouramis and cories have different living requirements than goldfish. On here, it is recommended to keep goldfish only in a goldie tank, although some (including myself) have other coldwater species like white cloud mountain minnows in the tank.

good luck,

mj

Actually, I would too. I LOVE the wccm's but I feel the tank would look better and if it were just one species or the other.

Ideally, I'd have another 55 for the wccm's but I do not want to have the maintenance for two tanks.

I would definitely recommend sticking to goldfish.

mj

Tropical fishes need heater while goldfish is cold-water fish so it is not advisable to keep them together, also feeding will be a problem. There are some fishes which may be compatible with goldfish.

follow the link http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/comfish.html

Providing inadequate conditions for either tropical or goldfish can result in lowered immune respsonce leaving then susceptible to illness, so it is never a good idea to mix tropical fish with goldfish unless they are considered compatible as tank mates and their water conditions overlap :)

I did keep a goldy in with some trops for awhile in a 20 gal tank. The gf become ill with septicemia and I almost lost him. Now I mostly keep gf with other gf but sometimes I put rosy reds in with them. They have the same requirements and get along fine so it works out.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few BN Plecos in the goldie tank......they get along just fine! They have even bred & hatched babies....unfortunately the goldies like to eat the babies :yikes

Many people with goldfish in tanks are actually keeping a sub-tropical or temperate climate tank. My unheated tanks, for instance, stay at 72-75 degrees. If you search for sub-tropical, temperate or even cold-water fish, you will find many varieties that also will be fine in goldfish-tank temperatures. It is not true that all fish like cold water or tropical temperatures.

Still, keep in mind that temperature isn't everything. Like any community tank, temperament of all the fish is important -- you don't want anything aggressive that will bully your goldfish. You might have to feed more variety -- goldfish like pellets, but your other gang might want flakes. And smaller schooling fish might need more plants and decor to make them feel secure.

I have a small school of glowlight tetras in my problem-goldfish tank. I got tired of seeing a tank with just two bottom-sitting fish, and I didn't want to add another goldfish that might harass my resting goldies. So I got a small school to add some activity. It's been working out. The tetras are doing great, and the goldfish are fine -- one goldie even seems better. The gang even went through a vacation fast, and no one was eaten or damaged. :)

That's true about temps. But I had mollies and serpae tetras that chased my gf quite often and/or nipped at him. He ended up getting too stressed and got sick. But if the fish are ok with each other then it isn't that bad of an idea to keep some trops with gf. I hear they do ok with platies for example.

• 1 month later...

Choose the tropical fish that you keep with your goldfish based on wheather or not they will get along and choose the tropical fish that like the same water hardness and ph as your goldfish.

Most tropical fish like a temp between 70 and 80F. Goldfish are fine in that temp range and can live in warmer. Goldfish are cold water fish which means that they can survive cold winters and live under the ice. But they prefer the warmer summer temps of 65 to 75 but can also live in 90f water. My aquariums are up stairs and range in the middle to high 80's in the summer and the goldfish don't have any problem with those temps. So anything less than 80 is well within their comfort zone.

• 2 years later...

My goldfish share a tank with a weather loach and will soon share it with a trumpet snail. I've seen dinosaur bichirs coexist peacefully with large koi so I think size is a major component.