Sign in to follow this  
Ridewithme38

Have i forced my Goldfish into a life of Misery & Slow death?

Ok, i figured a catchy title would help more people read this thread...It may not be that bad...

Yesterday, my Aquaclear 110 motor started getting louder, so i figured it was time to take it off the tank and give the impeller and motor and filter a good cleaning...I was AMAZED and DISGUSTED at how the inside of my filter look, Gunk & Yuck Everywhere on every surface....In a state of Shock and Amazement at the Yuck in my filter, i turned on the shower and just threw the whole thing in there.....Scrubbing and Rinsing, Scrubbing and Rinsing, within about 45 minutes,not only was i soaked to the bones but, everything looked brand new......Unfortunately, i made a newbie mistake....and included my Filter Media in this scrubbing and cleaning with Tap water....

Have a killed my Cycle? I also have a 4" and 3" air driven Sponge filter in my tank...that haven't been cleaned in a week

I realize i could have posted this all as one line "I washed my AC 110 media in tap water, but i have a 4" & 3" filter i haven't cleaned in a week, Did i kill my cycle?" But that wouldn't have been interesting for you to read!

Just monitor your cycle. I've used tap water before with no problem.

Well, the title caught MY attention (for what that is worth :) ) Anyway, yes, my guess is you probably killed your cycle, but if you put the sponge filter (that wasn't washed, correct?) in the filter box under the media, it should repopulate. I'd feel lightly and keep on top of your water params for awhile, until you're sure that things are stable again--but the good news is that you can use the sponge filter to reseed the media in the Aquaclear if you need to.

Edited by spillie

If you scrubbed for 45 minutes with chlorinated tap water...then yes, chances are good that you killed most or all of the good bacteria.

As other have said, monitor your perams very closely and you can try to seed the AQ with media from the sponge filters.

I have found with aquaclears, it's a good idea to give them a good cleaning about once a month to cut down on 'gunk' :)

So remove the media and rinse it in used tank water or fresh dechlorinated, and you can scrub all the other parts in the sink if you like. If you find your filter is really getting 'gunky' fast, it may be a sign that you are overstocked or over feeding.

Chlorine kills beneficial bacteria. Since you have sponge filter which have BB then you have a hope that your cycle is not broken.

I'm going to buy a Aqaerion err Aqearon err Aque...How ever you spell the name of that water changing do-hickey that connects right up to the sink after work today....I'll check my numbers after work and start doing a 50% daily water change if i see any ammonia at all...it'll be SOO much easier with that thingy

ETA: Since i'm here....These Expire on 10/14!

10% off $40 purchase at PetSmart

http://slickdeals.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1478796&d=1349795311

5% off $25 purchase at PetSmart

http://slickdeals.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1478776&d=1349795096

Edited by Ridewithme38

Ok, those links don't work...So i created my own links and Images(don't go to the base website, it was sort of setup as a troll)...

Sale ends 10/14 guys!

$10 off $40 purchase

http://nvctruth.com/petsmart10.jpg

$5 off $25 Purchase

http://nvctruth.com/petsmart5.jpg

You can also use Code: 5TWO25 for $5 off $25 online

Edited by Ridewithme38

For future reference, gentle cleaning of filter media in dirty tank water (or clean I just use dirty when I'm doing my water changes) is normally all that's needed, just enough to get the gunk buildup off. And I store them separately when I'm deep cleaning my filters but I only do that twice a year (before and after pond season)

I definitely didn't need the 50' one...and....wow, plastic to attach to the faucet? I cross threaded it ALREADY and can't get it back off!!

For future reference, gentle cleaning of filter media in dirty tank water (or clean I just use dirty when I'm doing my water changes) is normally all that's needed, just enough to get the gunk buildup off.

Up until yesterday, i had be squeezing and smoshing and twisting and trying to get every little bit of muck out of my sponges...But i had been using dirty fish water....Am i over cleaning my AC 110 sponges?

What do you mean by 'gentle' cleaning? Just the surface stuff? Do they get clean that way?

Edited by Ridewithme38

Gentle cleaning for me is swishes in the water, picking visible gunk or wiping the surfaces. Normally wringing and squeezing sponges shortens the life of them, the stretching seems to cause them to degrade faster causing them to be replaced more.

I've notice that swishing in the water does about the same as squeezing. Most 'gunk' is leftover food or poo, that normally doesn't travel to the inside of the sponge. I'd say cleaning the container of the filter is important for the filter to function properly but I wouldn't be deep cleaning your sponges often.

I deep clean mine twice a year, before the pond and after the pond, and not all at once either, one each cleaning so that if there is a bump, it's just in one sump and I'm not doing massive water changes on all my 'tanks'