I miss my nerites!

fantailfan1

I have some nerite snails in my GF tank. However, I cam currently treating the GF tank with prazi and salt so out came the nerites and I put them in my betta tank. The snails are doing fine in the betta tank (and it's never been soooo clean!) but the main tank is atrocious!! The diatoms are back with a vengeance!! :yikes

I moved the snails out about 2 1/2 weeks and I don't think they will be back for another week or so. If I didn't have the nerites there is NO way I would have just left the diatoms to grow as they have. I've resisted the temptation to scrape them off with each water change, knowing the nerites will have a feast when they are back in the tank. If I remember, I'd like to do a before, maybe some during, and after pics of their work! Those little buggers are amazing when it comes to diatom removal.

Now if only I can make it the next week or so without cleaning it off myself! :)

I love my nerites.............they are awesome !!

and btw..............GO BUCKEYES !!!..............."OH"...."IO"......................... :rofl

I just had to raz ya ~~~ One male nurse in the ER was a michigan fan, and we razzed him all the time !!...................... :D

I just got two nerites (quarantining them now) and I can't wait to put them in my 75g goldfish tank! My tank grows a lot of diatoms. Just like you, I'm resisting the urge to clean them off so that the snails will actually have something to feast on once they go into the tank! :)

Yeah, yeah. All you Buckeye fans are the same . . . :) My neighbor went to Ohio State and we have just agreed not to talk about it!! LOL. A patient of mine whom I've seen for years now and knows I'm a big Michigan fan AND who went to Notre Dame had to rub that game in my face. Whatever. Just wait til he gets his contacts and glasses and can't see out them. Then we'll see who's laughing. :yikes

Just kidding!! I just love college football and my husband went to Michigan. He grew up in East Lansing so we route for Michigan State too.

Anyway back to the topic!

So nerites don't do well with prazi? I took them out because of the salt but that's good to know for future reference!

I just got two nerites (quarantining them now) and I can't wait to put them in my 75g goldfish tank! My tank grows a lot of diatoms. Just like you, I'm resisting the urge to clean them off so that the snails will actually have something to feast on once they go into the tank! :)

When I got mine it took them a good 3 or 4 days before they started to really eat anything. Just remember not to expect too much too soon. They will not disappoint you!

Yeah, yeah. All you Buckeye fans are the same . . . :) My neighbor went to Ohio State and we have just agreed not to talk about it!! LOL. A patient of mine whom I've seen for years now and knows I'm a big Michigan fan AND who went to Notre Dame had to rub that game in my face. Whatever. Just wait til he gets his contacts and glasses and can't see out them. Then we'll see who's laughing. :yikes

Just kidding!! I just love college football and my husband went to Michigan. He grew up in East Lansing so we route for Michigan State too.

Anyway back to the topic!

So nerites don't do well with prazi? I took them out because of the salt but that's good to know for future reference!

They can't tolerate salt either..................

If you want I can send you some OHIO BUCKEYE memorabilia..............lol...............just kidding you, If I lived in Michigan I would probably be a fan too............I do not really follow college football, I am not in to the tail-gates.................LOL

Actually, Nerites are snails that actually should be able to handle salt just fine. Their eggs actually need brackish conditions in order to hatch. This is actually an advantage for freshwater aquarists who don't necessarily want lots of baby snails. :)

Sharkbait3--thanks but I think I'll pass on the OSU memoribilia. So nice of you to offer . . . lol. :)

Alex--now that you mention that, I do remember they need brackish water to breed successfully. That's one of the reasons I went with the nerites. Boy, my memory is failing me!

Just curious--what salinity is considered "brackish"?

According to Wikipedia,

Fresh water = less than 0.05%

Brackish = 0.05% to 3%

Saline = 3% to 5%

Brine = greater than 5%

I don't know up to what concentration of salt Nerites will tolerate though.

When I got mine it took them a good 3 or 4 days before they started to really eat anything. Just remember not to expect too much too soon. They will not disappoint you!

Yes, I know. :)

I'm glad you took them out. I can unfortunately confirm that the Prazi will kill the poor Nerites :(

I actually didn't think about how it would affect nerites but I've doubledosed with prazi with them in there and not had problems :oops: Both in my 30 gal and my 10 gal. So 4 nerites that acted as if nothing was wrong.

To be honest, I didn't even think about Prazi effects on Nerites until I found them all dead in the tank. At the time, I had Prazi + 0.1% salt. That's when I started looking, and a number of places, including our own, have reported Nerites sensitivity to Prazi. I still don't quite understand it, actually :(

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/78381-zebra-nerite/

my nerites keep running away :(

:o

When they were alive, they would go all over the place, including inside the filters, but they never actually attempted escape.

I thought my single nerite in the 20 gal with Kai ran away but he was hiding on the back of my sunrise quartz towards the bottom where I couldn't see. :teehee

I did a wc in my betta tank and thought I should gather up the snails to feed them as I don't think the tank they are in provides enough algae to keep them alive. I looked and looked and looked and finally found one in the filter. I was getting a little nervous before I found him and slowly with my eyes half closed peaked behind the tank, afraid I might find him crawling on my counter--or worse, dead on my counter!!

That is strange about the prazi. I wonder how it affects them and why some are so sensitive to it and others survive without a problem? :idont

Edited by fantailfan1