canisters and replacing media/carbon

For those of you who use canister filters:

have you continued to replace/add carbon or have you gone the no-carbon route?

what types of media do you use and/or recommend?

what I'm getting at with this, is whether or not carbon is necessary for filtration? I saw/read somewhere of people that don't use carbon in their filtration.

My filter came with media but I'm curious as to whether or not there are other alternatives out there. Or maybe different (more efficient) ways to set up canister filtration then what manufacturers say.

I have a Fluval 206 and I don't use carbon in it. I use the sponge material it came with, the biosponge in the first basket, and then ceramic noodles in the last two baskets. Carbon is only really needed for removing meds from the water or for removing some smells/polishing water but I would rather do water changes if that's needed. :)

I don't use carbon 90% of the time. Once carbon has exhausted in adsorption capabilities, it's not likely to leech back. However, what it can and will do is serve as perfect breeding grounds for things like Aeromonas and Pseudomonas, and you will see this manifested as fin issues and ulcers in your fish.

I use a canister I got on eBay, sun sun h0303b ( I think) had no trouble, use the fluvel media to top it up as was only cheap media it came with

I use a canister I got on eBay, sun sun h0303b ( I think) had no trouble, use the fluvel media to top it up as was only cheap media it came with and carbon unless I'm treating for illness

I took the carbon out of mine (and kept it just in case) and replaced it with fluval biomax. More biological filtration is always a good thing and for me the hassle and expense of always replacing carbon is more than enough reason to not use it, since it's not needed.

In my fluvals, I don't use carbon. However, you will need to replace the filter pad about once every two weeks or once a month. It will degrade after a while. But as long as you have bio balls or other media, it won't matter much cycle-wise.

In my fluvals, I don't use carbon. However, you will need to replace the filter pad about once every two weeks or once a month. It will degrade after a while. But as long as you have bio balls or other media, it won't matter much cycle-wise.

Which filter pad are you talking about? I haven't replaced any media in my Fluval and it's been running for 6+ months now, I just rinse everything in tank water once a month. Everything seems to be holding up really well but I hope I'm not missing something. :idont

Which filter pad are you talking about? I haven't replaced any media in my Fluval and it's been running for 6+ months now, I just rinse everything in tank water once a month. Everything seems to be holding up really well but I hope I'm not missing something. :idont

I do the same miss Jenny, I do replace carbon as it does degrade over time but as long as the filter floss is intact and not tatty and falling apart, just simple clean with old fish water

I took the carbon out of mine (and kept it just in case) and replaced it with fluval biomax. More biological filtration is always a good thing and for me the hassle and expense of always replacing carbon is more than enough reason to not use it, since it's not needed.

No Carbon for me just filter pads and biomax in my fluval 405

So those of you who don't use carbon, about how often do you replace (and/or clean) the media you use?

Right now I have carbon in my tank because it came with the new filter, but usually I don't use it. I swish my filters in the old tank water when I see them getting gunky. I check them once a week, though, when I do my big water changes.

Well there really is no need to replace any filter media unless it's totally falling apart, like I said earlier I've gone over 6 months without replacing any media in my Fluval canister. Once a month I just open it up and rinse the sponges out really well in old tank water and lightly rinse the ceramic media as well. My cycle has been very stable and my tank/water stays very clean.

I haven't had my canisters actually running like with a real fish in the tank for long enough to do anything to the media yet, but I will probably shoot for doing one of the two every two weeks or so, so that each one is cleaned out about every four weeks.

my eheim 2217 came with a carbon pad they said to remove after running it 2 weeks as it was only intended to remove any residue (chemical?) from the new filter. i get the impression carbon is not essential unless you want to remove medication from the water. as others have said, replacing media is only required when it starts disintegrating. i've replaced fine floss every month or 2 cos it looked brown & is inexpensive but things like bio balls or ceramic noodles would last indefinately & i only rinse them & my coarse sponge gently in tank water every month. i'm pretty much a noob so i've learnt all of this off kokos!

Which filter pad are you talking about? I haven't replaced any media in my Fluval and it's been running for 6+ months now, I just rinse everything in tank water once a month. Everything seems to be holding up really well but I hope I'm not missing something.

I am talking about the "polishing pad" or a pad in there as replacement. Those are not made to last like the sponges.

I do not use carbon, I use chemi-pure, it lasts alot longer and works amazing. I do not like using polishing pads, they may clog up in as little as a week. The first layer is sponge that I rinse and reuse every month and the rest of the baskets are filled with ceramic rings.