Pigment in fish?

I just had a thought ("oh dear not again Becs" I hear you cry!!!) :idea

Here it is, don't laugh....................................................When goldfish get in to their twilight years do they begin to loose pigment in their scales? Like in humans, our hair goes gray?

I am asking because Hercules looks like he could be going through a colour change, just round his mouth he is getting more white. He is a calico fantail. Off to check my old pics of him on photobucket!

I've seen a few colour changes in my guys - they all started off orange, and one gradually turned completely white. One developed black patches, kind of like a cow lol - I've thought and thought about this, and it just doesn't fit the bill of burns/healing marks, but I always thought black was a colour that got lost, not gained! He's gradually lost all of the black since, and is orange again!

I once had a common goldfish that lived in an aquarium for about 2 years. Then we moved it to our pond to breed with some other goldfish. Maybe a year later we moved it back to the aquarium and it had a lot of black on its upper body. I believe this faded quite a bit over time in the aquarium. So black can come and go.

My mother started turning gray at 9. She was fully gray when she finished high school and white at 30. In her thirties, her contemporaries were turning gray and dying their hair. She was amused when their husbands raved about her beautiful silver hair. They were not quite as amused, LOL.