Sign in to follow this  
mjbubbles

Fluffy & Friends

Hi All. I've been away for a while...but still keeping fish.

I've been having very high nitrates lately, so have added a few new plants, including a peace lily in the filter. I hope this will help moderate the 30-40 ppm nitrates I'm getting within 5 days. Any suggestions about what's causing it? In the past I've had no more than 20 ppm even after a week. I started feeding Repashy Soilent Green, and I added 4 nerite snails around the time this started.

anyway, here's the picture of Fluffy and friends and their new plants:

1349973509.jpg

Oops!! I forgot to mention that I am hanging my tank from the ceiling now...it's a bit hard to keep the water in that way, but allows for more floor space.

Sorry! How do I flip the image? Can't figure it out!

Oops!! I forgot to mention that I am hanging my tank from the ceiling now...it's a bit hard to keep the water in that way, but allows for more floor space.

Sorry! How do I flip the image? Can't figure it out!

your doing what???

Can we have a larger image? and don't stay away so long :(

Wait what? You're having your tank hang from the ceiling?

What size tank was it again? I can imagine the nerites to add to the nitrates, especially when there's 4 of them. One mystery snail/apple snail need about 2-3 gallons each, the nerites are about half the size. So with 4 of them, you do add about 50% bio load of what one goldfish produces. Also do not forget that Fluffy grows and eats more / produces more waste :)

I think mj said that because the photo was upside-down when she first posted it. Right?

Hi mj! The tank looks good, but we need more pics! lol :P

I too would love to see a bigger pic :) your tank looks stunning!!! Also have you tested your tap water for nitrates?

Edited by MissColonel

Hi MJ. :) I was just thinking to myself that I haven't seen you around much. Nice to hear from you. :)

Yes, I also would like a bigger pic to admire it properly! :)

We've missed you MJ. I hope to see you around more :)

Hi all. Sorry I've been gone so long. I've been away from my computer a lot lately.

Yes, I made the comment about hanging the tank from the ceiling because the photo was upside down. Now it's mysteriously right side up.

I've decided I'm overstocked - tap nitrates = 0, And as Fang said, I have 4 goldfish that are growing, 5 nerites and 4 wccm's in a 55 gallon tank.

I can't decide who to re-home, though. Possibly the snails - last in, first out and all that! But they do such a good job of cleaning up the algae.

The goldie I'd get rid of is Hercule, but he's not my fish...he belongs to sweetie. :( Plus, I don't trust giving a goldfish away to a stranger since they might keep it in a bowl or something. :blowup:

So that leaves the wccms - Darn! I like them a lot. :bye2:

Anyway! Here is a bigger picture of the tank with the new plants.

1350065316.jpg

Edited by mjbubbles

Now that is much better ;)

The Tank looks great :)

Sorry about the high nitrates and having to re home anyone :( it's a choice I will probably have to make down the road myself with 4 in my 55 as well :(

Hope to see you around more often :)

That's a very nice tank! I love how you used the terracotta pot bottoms as planters. That's a great idea! :)