Sign in to follow this  
Spyromon

New goldfish from pet store has swollen belly on the right side

I have some left over pills of Amoxicillin (doctors here give them as if they are candy). I will get the box and inform you what it says on it.

Please have in mind i've been treating the fish with salt (it had Ich now Ich is gone) and also Fluke-Solve medication ( http://www.fish-treatment.co.uk/fluke-solve-aquarium.html ). I used PraziPro before but run out.

Do i have to do a big water change in order to add the new medications? or can i use them all together? I don't use Carbon by the way for obvious reasons.

According to Noga, amoxicillin is best used by top coating, which basically means you coat your current pellet food in it and feed the fish.

Let me know the strength of the tablet, the type of food you use to feed, and whether you have a scale. We will need to measure out the amount of food to use.

I don't have a scale to measure weight.

I can try to find one, but a bit hard.

I have called my local pharmacy and they can supply me with Metronidazole (they have 250mg and 500mg tablets i can smash).

Is there a recipe for gel food i can mix it with?

I will go buy the meds during my lunch break and will tell you in a few hours of what i have obtained.

There are recipes for gel food in my signature. You can use any one of them.

Let me know later what you have, and I can devise a plan. How is your fish doing?

He looks the same, normal swimming, fins are in great condition Ich has completely gone (as you saw on the photos), scales are flat/normal, he looks very healthy, swims all the time.

Forgot to mention he had green poop so i'm pretty sure he ate a leaf from the Anubias. Poop was normal, not string, no bubbles of air in it, solid, not long poop.

Maybe i'm worried for no reason and it's just a birth defect.

I think the tumour/bloated side went a bit down... i might be wrong.

Is it possible it was caused by Parasites or Worms and now is slowly healing on its own?

Fluke Solve has praziquel so it should handle the parasites and worms and also used 0.1% salt for the other parasites.

I will take some more photos on the next water change to compare.

I'm pretty sure he had parasites because the other fish in the tank they were keeping him at the pet shop had Ich (all of them), fish with ripped fins, fish bottom sitting, also saw 3 fish with raised scales (dropsy). I even saw a fish lice jumping off him when i was taking the photos and killed the fish lice (so i guess the others at the pet shop also had fish lice).

Having meds on hand can only be useful, but we will want to thoroughly examine him prior to doing anything, so pic updates will be necessary. :)

It turns out i don't have Amoxicillin. I wish i knew that when i went to the pharmacy. I will have to buy it tonight. Is it ok if we don't use amoxicillin and just use metronidazole?

I bought the pills called Dumozol 250mg it says each tablet has 250mg metronidazole.

What's next?

We can try the metro by itself, but the spectrum of things we can fight off will be less.

Ok i now have both Amoxicillin and Metronidazole.

I will smash it separately and await instructions of HOW MUCH to use.

I have looked at your "Agar gel food 2" recipe you have (very smart, thumbs up).

But i have no idea where to buy Agar (i will check a healthy food store). Is there a different name for AGAR?

Can i force the fish to take the powdered medication with some smashed fish food? They seem to like a lot Tetra Golden Japan food and Frozen Daphnia.

That's actually what I would like for you to do, actually. Crush the amoxicillin and the metronidazole and mix it well with about 10ml of water. Then every day or every other day, take out the fish food want to feed (pellets are best) and sprinkle the antibiotic water onto the pellets so that they soak. Let the pellets dry, and then use that to feed the fish. You can make enough antibiotic laced pellets for 2 days at a time.

Does this make sense?

Yes this sounds easier from finding Agar to create gel food.

How many pills should i smash of each medication?

I have:

250mg Metronidazole pills

500mg Amoxicillin Capsules (i just open the capsule, no need to smash)

I also have Ultrabiotic Pro capsules

Just one of each and add it to 10 ml of spring (no chlorine) water.

ok thanks a lot.

I will do it in a few hours.

I will take more photos every 2 days to see the difference and upload them to keep you posted.

Hi again

These are the latest parameters and recap of the whole situation

Ammonia: 0ppm

NO2: 0ppm

NO3: 15ppm

Goldfish is male (checked and possitive about that-he is an adult)

7cm size without tail.

Has no raised scales.

Had him in quarantine for 2 weeks now and being treated with salt and Fluke Solve.

Also created madicated food with Metronidazole 250mg, Amoxicillin 500mg, Ultrabiotics and feeding it twice a day. He has a very big appetite and is very active.

I know for sure he had Ich (salt took care of that), Fish lice (i think he only had 1 and i killed it), fish is alone in tank, and he probably had parasites for sure as the rest of the goldfish at the pet shop had (i continue treating with Fluke Solve).

It's been two weeks and he seems the same, active and very hungry. I have him in a dark room and only feeding him medicated food. There have not been any changes.

He looks very normal and active. I will post new photos but the have not been any changes.

What do you think it might be?

Toumor?

Liver fat?

Birth defect?

It could be a tumor. I just can't see it being fat, given that the bulge is only on one side.

Do you have new pics? Has it gotten any bigger?

No it hasn't gotten bigger, neither smaller.

I will post new photos tomorrow so you can also compare.

Sorry for the delay, i have so much work...

can you post a close up video instead? i am having difficulties seeing the pics clear enough. you use a clear container to take the pics, is it clear enough to get a side view with video also? i think a vid from top and side views would be better. can you manage that?

what are the current behavioural symptoms of the fish whilst swimming, are there any boyancy issues? floating or resting to one side?

how has the fish been pooping since you commenced meds? are they consistent and normal? or stringy and white?

and lastly, is the fish a confirmed male? and would this fish by any chance be a Ryukin? seeing a ryukin from topview often shows a square butt.