Sign in to follow this  
DieselPlower

anyone done half bare bottom and half rocks?

I have been wanting to try the bare bottom in my 29 gal for a while because I think it looks very sleek. Problem is I know my commons love digging around in the rocks looking for food. Anyone tried half bare bottom and half rocks? Look silly? Fish move the rocks all around? Anything else come to mind? I was thinking about putting a clear divider across the middle of the tank that is a about 6 inches high to keep things separated. What do you think?

Give it a try!! I personally don't care for the completely bare bottom look. I have a thin layer of pebbles & stones. The goldfish are ALWAYS digging around!!

I used to have bare bottom with some river rocks, but the fish managed to move them around :D

I would just spread the rocks around some. Like some small groups of rocks here and there and the fish will love picking at them.

I am not too worried about "silly looks". I want my fish to be happy and if a "silly look" does so, then I see nothing wrong with it :) If the aquarium is preferred to look perfect, one should rather go for a shrimp or snail tank :D

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Right now I have a 'mostly' bare bottom tank with a few river stones and plants that are tied to stones. My fish has enough in the way of places to forage, and it also still has the sleek look and easy cleanup associated with going bare bottom.

I agree, Although we like our tanks to look nice, we do not live in the tank~~~goldfish do, and so I try to decorate with them in mind !!!

I keep it simple and easy to clean~~~and the fish are growing like weeds~~so I must be doin something right.............. ;)

I have had a very thin layer of large river rocks on my tank bottom for a couple of years. I don't think it looks too bad, it's easy to clean and the fish do get to forage more than they would with bare bottom.

Here's a (low quality) pic...

010-7.jpg

Edited by Chrissy_Bee

I had barebottom with a few riverstones for a long time but I just love watching my goldfish forage in the sand I have in there now. :)

Wow thanks for the comments and the video! Those fish do seem to like floating around on the bare side just fine.

I have a mix between sand, rocks, and bare bottom :)

DSC02922_zps16c10a14.jpg

I have had a very thin layer of large river rocks on my tank bottom for a couple of years. I don't think it looks too bad, it's easy to clean and the fish do get to forage more than they would with bare bottom.

Here's a (low quality) pic...

010-7.jpg

I really like your tank set up. I think it looks great and I love your plants.

We scattered about a cup or so of gravel and added several smooth stones in our 55g. I consider it on the "almost" bare bottom side. We have some other ornaments in our tank and I really love how it turned out. I'd like to think the fish love it also and enjoy swimming in their spacious home.

Thanks for the tank pics. They look great!

How did you put plants on the rocks?

Here is my tank, it's bare bottom with colourful aquarium rocks scattered around. It's super easy to keep clean and the fish love poking around the rocks!

DSC01376.jpg

Sorry this pic was taken from a distance! :unsure:

Nice tank UKBecs :thumb:

I just change my tank recently too.. Will get some photos.. Mine is just fake plants and an air stone with a few marbles in it. :thumb:

I just change my tank recently too.. Will get some photos.. Mine is just fake plants and an air stone with a few marbles in it. :thumb:

I know you have been busy and all~~~but "Pics or it didn't happen"....................... :rofl

UKBecs............love your tank..................... :clapping:

I know you have been busy and all~~~but "Pics or it didn't happen"....................... :rofl

UKBecs............love your tank..................... :clapping:

Oh Touchee :lol3

You can tie them there with fishing line, plastic mesh, or even superglue them on. I use plastic mesh because it gives something for the roots to really hold on to.

You can tie them there with fishing line, plastic mesh, or even superglue them on. I use plastic mesh because it gives something for the roots to really hold on to.

:exactly I usually use fishing line or some sort of twine.

Oooooh, now I am tempted to add a little "beach" area to my big tank. How do you add the sand (and is it regular Play Sand?) do you just pour it in? Do you take the fish out while adding? Let me know...I am interested!!!!