Sign in to follow this  
Stratt14goldies

How do you guys measure prime?

Apologies if this is the wrong forum.

I was wondering how you guys measure Prime. Do you use a syringe with ml's or something else?

The instructions on the bottle tells you that under normal circumstances, you should use 1 ml for every ten gallons. There are threads in the cap to mark each ml. Of course, using a syringe is the most accurate way, and this is what I do. :)

My tank holds about 85 gallons, and 1 capful of Prime treats 50 gallons. So I usually add about 2 capfuls of Prime and call it good. I know that's a little more than necessary, but I would rather add too much than too little, especially now that I have trace ammonia in my tap water.

No fancy measuring tactics here, lol.

I use the cap as well. Mine is a large bottle so one cap treats 100 gallons. So I just add in 2 caps.

I use the cap as well. Mine is a large bottle so one cap treats 100 gallons. So I just add in 2 caps.

Do you use 2 caps for one water change?

If you have very small quantities of prime to measure, you can buy the smallest bottle of prime (I think it's 50 ml?) and it comes with a dropper cap. Then you can dose 2 drops per gallon. I do this, and then refill the small bottle from the larger ones for economy. Comes in handy if I need to dose a bucket or a small tank.

Edited by Courtney

I usually do about a capful... I have a 40 gallon, the cap treats 50 and like Sakura I'd rather be a little over than under ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have very small quantities of prime to measure, you can buy the smallest bottle of prime (I think it's 50 ml?) and it comes with a dropper cap. Then you can dose 2 drops per gallon. I do this, and then refill the small bottle from the larger ones for economy. Comes in handy if I need to dose a bucket or a small tank.

That is an awesome tip, thank you! :D

Maybe that was you Courtney that told me the same thing as you told telesc. I use 1 capful for my 55 gal. and when I do about a 60% weekly water change I'll just add in 1 capful. Better having a little extra than not enough. I keep a gallon jug filled w/water to tap off tank if needed days later and I put in a few drops. (heard it from you courtney...I guess. thanks)

I use 1 capful for my 40 gallon as well, as I have the 1cap=50gal-sized bottle. It's better to be safe and overdose Prime by a little bit than sorry you didn't, I assure you.

No fancy measuring tactics here, lol.

Same here, I have a 55 gallon so I usually just slop in a capfull 'plus some' :rofl

For my smaller tanks I guestimate, I just figure better too much than too little and go with that.

5ml treats 50gallons, 5ml is also give or take one teaspoon. The dripper top from the small bottle fits on the big bottle.

I have a 40 breeder (close to 45 gallons)I have the dripper top from the small bottle on my larger bottle and I use a teaspoon at every water change.

sent from the bathroom using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Ridewithme38

I use a syringe, but now am interested in this dropper capp--I did not know about that!

I think I'm the only one around here who trots out the small prime bottle advice like a broken record, so if you heard it here, that was probably my fault. :)

5ml treats 50gallons, 5ml is also give or take one teaspoon. The dripper top from the small bottle fits on the big bottle.

I have a 40 breeder (close to 45 gallons)I have the dripper top from the small bottle on my larger bottle and I use a teaspoon at every water change.

sent from the bathroom using Tapatalk 2

Yes, same with me. 5ml = 1.01tsp so I put in a tsp with each water change on my 40g.

If you need a syringe, just stop by the pharmacy and pick one up. They will usually give a 1ml oral syringe or insulin syringe (with the needle removed) for free. My dog takes oral meds twice a day so I buy them by the 100's.

These will allow you to measure down to 0.1ml for treating 1 gallon.

Edited by Philcav7

Philcav7, Thanks for the great tip. I think I have a pharmacy med. syringe laying around in my kitchen from when my daughter was real young. I'm going to do it this way now for my gallon jug.

I usually use the cap ,two cap fulls for the 55, and one for the 29 high, I also have the dropper bottle and use this for the smaller Betta tank ;)

Since you can use up to 4x the dose of Prime, I usually just go by "that looks good" - which is about half a cap for 20 gallons, a full cap for 50 gallons, a quarter cap for 10 gallons etc etc.

I try to rather use a tiny bit more than not enough, but even with that a big bottle lasts me for many months.

Has worked for me and my fish for the past four years.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

I find it easiet to dilute the prime. I put 100 ml of Prime into an empty 500 ml Prime bottle (labeled "diluted 1:5") and fill it with water. With the diluted stuff, I need 1 teaspoon for 10 gallons. That kind of measurement is easy and accurate.

Since you can use up to 4x the dose of Prime, I usually just go by "that looks good" - which is about half a cap for 20 gallons, a full cap for 50 gallons, a quarter cap for 10 gallons etc etc.

I try to rather use a tiny bit more than not enough, but even with that a big bottle lasts me for many months.

Has worked for me and my fish for the past four years.

I just started using prime the past few weeks/several weeks and I too go by,"that looks good" ha ha