Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
blackxlilies

Long term effects of algeacide overdose? :(

Recommended Posts

About a month and a half ago I was an absolute idiot and overdosed my 55g tank with API Algeafix, instead of doing the 1ml/10gal I did 10ml/10gal :( I don't even know how I misread the directions. I dosed the tank sometime late at night and went to sleep, the following day I didn't really paid attention to the fish as I was running late for work and by the time I came back in the afternoon I noticed them being lethargic. Looking at them more closely, their slime coat were pretty much falling/peeling off them and they were starting to get what looked like fin rot. I panicked and did a 100% water change, cleaned the heck outta my tank and rinsed the filters out as best as I could.

Sadly my smallest fish, Frodo the lionhead, didn't make it. A few days later he started bloating, then pineconing (is that even a word...?) and being floaty. I tried isolating him and giving him metromed food but he died a couple days later. My other fish took a week or so before they started acting normal again. As far as I can tell anyway. Elessar never fully recovered from the water python accident earlier this year and has been somewhat floaty ever since so it's hard to judge if he's having any new issues with buoyancy. Arwen and Tenshi seemed to be doing okay, but last week Arwen started acting floaty and Tenshi started getting bloated and pineconing (I tested the water and everything was normal, there hadn't been any changes in food and I did try treating him for bloat until he started showing signs of pineconing). I started them all on metromed food and they both responded pretty well to it, a few days later they were both back to normal. They still have another 5 days of meds to go and they're still doing okay, slime coats are back in place and fins look healthy again.

I'm not concerned about the water quality right now, I've been testing it often since this whole mess, and everything is within normal limits and I also keep up with my weekly water changes. I haven't used algeafix again and probably will never again.

Do any of you guys have any info on the long term effects of Algeafix overdose or have any advice? I was pretty heart broken to loose Frodo (never thought I'd cry over a fish!) and I really don't wanna loose my other fishies :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a number of ways to get rid of algae that does not depend on chemicals. This is one of those times where ANY type of chemicals really should be avoided.

I'm sorry, but I don't know what the long term effects of these algicides are on fish. One of the active ingredients (ethylene dichloride), however, is a known carcinogen. It's not good for the fish, or for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used an algae chemical one with a bad outcome. I will never try it again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i used AlgaeFix years ago.. then i realized what you saw.. funky slime coat. it was only in there for about half an hour, so i can imagine what the situation would have been like to have had them sit in it for almost 24 hours with such an overdose.

the only thing i can recommend right now is A. check their gills. what colour are the gills? B. increase aeration to the point where their only just starting to fight the current. finer bubbles not those huge glug glug bubbles. i don't know how you can save the floater. perhaps in a shallow tub with daily 100% wc? dunno. i'm sorry this happened to your fish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would guess that the chemical overdose caused kidney damage, thus the issues with controlling their fluid balance.

There probably wan't a need for metros since this wasn't a bacterial issue (presumably), but don't stop now since you've started. If you have jumpstart to feed them when they're done that would be good.

But there is some good news. Unlike us, goldfish can regenerate kidney tissue. So follow Stakos' advice, do your best to keep their water very clean and perhaps they'll make a complete recovery :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did try other things first, the issue was that it was getting direct sunlight because I had issues with positioning the tank :( I ended up having to take out my bedroom door to be able to push the tank over enough so it won't get any direct sunlight anymore, hopefully that'll solve that issue.

I don't really have a floater, Elessar has had buoyancy problems for a long time now but they're not severe and thankfully the other two fish have gotten a lot better since I started the metromed, I do have lots of water movement in the tank as well as two air stones, so hopefully that's helping. Their gills look normal to me right now, or at least they don't look dramatically different, it's not really something I pay close attention too but I'll start to from now on.

I don't have any jumpstart but I'll make sure to get some to keep in handy.

Thank you guys! It really does make me feel better to hear about the kidneys. I'm staying far, far away from algeacidals in the future, I'd rather have green water than dead fish :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd order the jumpstart asap as it is meant to be fed directly following medicated food :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
  • Create New...