[*]Ammonia Level? 0ppm

[*]Nitrite Level? 0ppm

[*]Nitrate level? 0ppm

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.6

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.6

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Mardel Strips

[*]Water temperature? 70 F

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 2.5 gallons

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Aquatech 3i or something like that for a 3 gallon

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? every 2 days, 80%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 king betta, 3 inches

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? once a day

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? betta

[*]Any medications added to the tank? none yet

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Dropsied, fin rot

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Bottom sitting

Not Yuki! My disgusting methhead neighbor left her betta when she moved out. He hasn't been fed for like 5 days. I noticed his scales are slightly lifted, most likely from her assortment of hollow ornaments. I didn't get to test his water, but I imagine the readings were off the charts. His water was murky and clouded with poop and food. He also has fin rot.

DSCN2097.jpg

DSCN2098.jpg

I have never dealt with dropsy and am not prepared. How can I help him?

Edited by LovelyChaos

It doesn't look severe enough imo to treat for dropsy, in my experience horrid water quality can cause slightly lifted scales but this is in no way anything but a minor case. Once betta really fully pinecone it's very hard to bring them back, much harder than goldfish, I would just keep up the super clean water and get on a good feeding schedule. Clean water should take care of the rot too but if it progresses and doesn't stop salt at .05% and then in a few days move up to .1% if he handles the salt well. If he gets any worse we can start to look at other treatments but I think clean water and better living conditions should fix everything.

It doesn't look severe enough imo to treat for dropsy, in my experience horrid water quality can cause slightly lifted scales but this is in no way anything but a minor case. Once betta really fully pinecone it's very hard to bring them back, much harder than goldfish, I would just keep up the super clean water and get on a good feeding schedule. Clean water should take care of the rot too but if it progresses and doesn't stop salt at .05% and then in a few days move up to .1% if he handles the salt well. If he gets any worse we can start to look at other treatments but I think clean water and better living conditions should fix everything.

That's a relief to hear (: I will do that and see how he does.

:) It was great of you to rescue him, ammonia can do real damage in large amounts so if his scales may never lay completely flat depending on how long and the severity of the ammonia he was exposed to. I rescued a betta that was nearly dead from horrible conditions and the ammonia had left his gill plates so damaged they never closed properly, he looked a lot like your boy yuki, and he only lived a few years. I suspect he had serious damage from the poor water quality since his gills never were the same and he was always easily winded (for lack of a better term).

fishh003.jpg

damaged gills (he's not flaring) all that junk in the water is the cup he came in.

scales003.jpg

top view

lala009.jpg

After a few weeks with clean water

I know this is a bit off topic but I thought it might help?

I agree that since the scales are barely lifted then it may not be dropsy. But watch very closely to see if they get worse or he starts to bloat. I have had 2 bettas come down with dropsy and it happens so fast (literally over night) and sadly neither survived in the long run. Hopefully the nice clean water and good care will heal him up :)

By the way PSP, that betta was amazing!!!

Gosh he is pretty! I learned about ammonia fairly recently. This guy is 3 years old. He is huge! Twice the size of my Yuki (in volume) he is still bottom sitting, so I am thinking getting changed to clean water probably upset him a little. Hopefully he will adjust well though.

After coming from high ammonia he might have gill damage, I wouldn't be surprised if he just sits for a few days to recuperate and become acclimated to better water conditions. Try keeping his tank nice and dark too, drape a towel over it to keep him relaxed perhaps.

Clean water does work wonders, Captain Quarantine also was quite severely ill when I first got him and still has labyrinth and breathing issues, but compared to the poor water he came in, he had a near 100% full recovery. He also was quite pineconed. Let us know how he goes!

Unfortunately the going from terrible water to good water quickly can have a stressing effect on the fish & throw them a little off- it will pass, though. 5 of my female bettas had ammonia poisoning so severe their bodies were bleached almost pure white when I brought them home, they were supposed to be (3) orangy-peach with gorgeous red fins, (1) brilliant peacock blue, and (1) deep purple- and their gills were the color of a bruise inside. They still have a little "shortness of breath" to this day- it will never pass, but, they can at least be happy & live a good life, now. The same can hopefully be true for your pretty, new, rescue boy. Methylene blue dips can be helpful when dealing with ammonia/nitrite/cyanide,/ etc. poisoning due to its oxidizing effects in the gills & antibacterial properties, but, you have to be kind of careful with it, so, only use it if he doesn't start improving soon, and get really good directions on how to use it. Also, the meth blue can not go in your display tank, as it will stain the silicone, decor, and kill off all of your BB colonies. It's one of the "old school meds", from way back in the day when I started keeping fish, but, it can still be useful for some things, when used properly. Don't confuse it with malachite green (aka victoria green), though, that stuff is pure death in a bottle, and used for different purposes- it would actually be likely to make the fish worse, as it burns the gills of fish, and is pretty toxic. Bettas are very hardy fish, though, and have amazing capabilities of "bouncing back" from water quality induced illnesses if they are given pristine water, low stress, and good nutrition. Hopefully you won't need anything more than that. ;)

Wishing you and your new finny friend the best of luck! :heart:hug