Sign in to follow this  
soupmonster

Stressful Lighting

Hey, guys. I recently planted my 40gal with oodles of short anubias. I also bought 39W LED lighting to help my anubias grow a little better. However, whenever I turn it the LED light on, my goldfish get super stressed! Peachos bottom sits in the corner and Lorenzo will start gasping in the (meager) shade of the plants. And then they snap back to grazing mode the second I turn it off, haha. Is it just too bright to the point I have to use a different light? Or should I buy more shade producing decorations?

Is there any way you could turn the light on gradually? Perhaps you could cover most of the light before you turned it on and then gradually expose more of the light.

Like take the bar of light off the top? Hmm. I could let it sit on the side, a little distance away.

Fish normally get startled when the lights come on, but this usually goes after a couple of minutes.

Is the LED the only lighting in the tank or is there a flourescent tube also? are you turning them both on at once?

Its to do with the way their eyes work and the fact they have no eyelids. Imagine walking from a dark room into the sunlight, except not being able to blink.

Shakaho is right to suggest staggering the lighting if possible (if you have multiple lights then turning them on one at a time may help). something else you can do is make sure you turn the room lights on about 30mins before you turn the tank lights on, and vice versa when you switch them off at night.

If your fish have never had lighting It could take them a while to get used to it.

Hmm. The aquarium light is LED's only and have only one switch... on and off. Thanks for the room lamp suggestion. I think it will help their eyes train to the light since they've been used to lamp lights already. :D

I try to turn on the light after the sun has already come up so they're already awake and accustomed to some amount of light. Try associating the lights with food so they'll be less stressed out and more excited when they're turned on.

Yes, I agree, I allow the room to light up (daylight or a room lamp if you have no daylight) to acclimate them better before I blast them with the fluorescent light.

My husband tells me it's fairly common for corals to get shocked by fancy new LED lights in marine tanks, and one thing people do for that if they don't have a dimmer switch is buy the kind of screen stuff you can put in your windows to keep bugs out, and make layers of that over their tanks and below their lights. You don't want to do it where it would be directly touching the light or the water. But you have, say, 4 or 5 layers of it or however many it takes to make it shady enough, and then you take a layer off every few days and gradually raise the amount of light over the tank. So you might try that, if the room lights thing doesn't help.

Edited by Courtney

I try to turn on the light after the sun has already come up so they're already awake and accustomed to some amount of light. Try associating the lights with food so they'll be less stressed out and more excited when they're turned on.

This is nice idea, even my fishes seems disturbed when i turned the lights on. This idea will make them like light.