[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0ppm

[*]Nitrite Level? 0ppm

[*]Nitrate level? 0ppm

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.4

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.6

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Mardel Strips

[*]Water temperature? 70

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20 gallons, used as QT

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Aleas XP-80 176 GPH

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Every 2 days, 80%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 guppy, 1 inch

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Flakes once a day

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? Guppy

[*]Any medications added to the tank? No

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? He was attacked by other guppies

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Slight C shape, Lethargic

So my neighbor just brought up a little guppy that had been attacked after feeding time. I don't keep guppies and I have no clue what to do. I have him alone because I can't very well put him with my goldies :P I figure I will let him de-stress and see how he is doing in a little while. She has a 5 gallon with 4 guppies and is trying to upgrade to a 10. Is there something I can do to help him heal? I can't get a video because he is so small my camera won't focus on him. Do I... Salt the aquarium? I just don't know what to do with guppies \:

Guppies can handle brackish water, so salt away- I'd say up to 1 tsp/gal slowly. Does he just have shredded fins? Any other signs of illness? For fins, salt would be great... but, if there's anything else going on with him, he may need more help. Get a nitrate reading on her tank regarding the c shape- can be a sign of advanced nitrate poisoning... which he may not pull through. The going from high trates to no trates suddenly can also cause too much stress for them to handle. :( Does he spin in circles at all, or anything when he tries to swim? Get a video, plz. ;)

Guppies can handle brackish water, so salt away- I'd say up to 1 tsp/gal slowly. Does he just have shredded fins? Any other signs of illness? For fins, salt would be great... but, if there's anything else going on with him, he may need more help. Get a nitrate reading on her tank regarding the c shape- can be a sign of advanced nitrate poisoning... which he may not pull through. The going from high trates to no trates suddenly can also cause too much stress for them to handle. :( Does he spin in circles at all, or anything when he tries to swim? Get a video, plz. ;)

Ok, I will salt. Right now I have him with my plants but I will take them out first. He seems to have straightened out nicely. He doesn't look too bad, but he is bottom sitting. She has only had the tank for a week, and I have been giving her prime and she changes like half the water every day or every other day. He seems to like to rest on the plants. I think he is just beyond stressed right now. I will probably salt in a couple hours to give him some adjusting time. I can't get a video tonight but I will try tomorrow, if I can find him. He hides really well :rofl

Edited by LovelyChaos

Awww poor baby! For small fish like those I like to raise the salt much slower, especially when already stressed.

I add 1tsp per 3 gallons every 6-8 hours :)

Other than that there is not much you can do right now. Maybe your neighbor can upgrade sooner than later. I think the number of guppies she has in a 5g tank is alright, but the 10gallons will keep the toxin levels at only half of what there is now, getting the fish through the cycling process easier.

As for why he was attacked, I can only think that he is ill (maybe nitrate poisoning) and the other fish just followed their natural instinct.

Last but not least, don't guppies like it warmer? Not like bettas for example, but in the mid 70s range; that might help the little guy too :)

I have had some fairly aggressive guppies over the years, particularly males. I'm thinking that things may be better if your neighbour upgrades the tank, and also recommend that she adds some plants to give the guppies refuge.

If that doesn't work, he may have to be separated from the group. They can really pick on others and wear them down, compromising their immune systems through stress :(

edit: Are they all males?

Edited by Chrissy_Bee

They are all males and she is going to be upgrading as soon as she can get a bigger filter (: He looks so much better today! He is no longer in a c shape and is out swimming around (:

She was able to upgrade today, they are now in a 10 gallon. She now has 3 guppies, 1 oto, and 2 ghost shrimp. This guppy is doing much better after the salt. When is the soonest he can he go back? (:

I'd give him a week minimum, and keep a super close eye on her nitrate levels- it is sounding like nitrate poisoning, which can make them bend in a c shape and get lethargic, like you described. Guppies would actually prefer to stay salted all the time (even as low as 1 tbsp/10 gal- which is a concentration that hardy plants would also live in), but, the oto certainly will not. Unfortunately, the oto being alone in a newly set up 10 gallon doesn't have high chances of making it. They are very shy when not able to shoal, and really need a well established tank- both due to sensitivity in parameter fluctuations, and needing well established aufwuchs to have enough to eat. Depending on what variety of ghost shrimp she has, they may also do well with a lightly salted tank. The guppies and shrimp will also do fine in plain fresh water, but, most live bearers really thrive in a lightly salted environment (and can even thrive in brackish conditions).

SO glad to hear the little guy is on the mend! Your neighbors (& their fish) are super lucky to have you close by! :hug

Actually the Oto is super happy in there and he swims around all the time! I couldn't believe it! There is tons of algae and she feeds them zucchini when there isn't enough algae (: I told her that if he starts looking down to bring him up here so I could keep an eye on him.