Sign in to follow this  
JouteiMike

Ranchu or not?

Always wondered if one of my little ones was indeed a ranchu or not. No significant head growth, but he still some of the more common ranchu features. What do you think? Maybe an eggfish and a ranchu?

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?ui=2&ik=fe2724adc2&view=att&th=13a4297b6cf0b24b&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-GyQGHMiGcl-8pnnI645ZO&sadet=1349737104643&sads=0WTAZfLEWsmNGVtR8r76muOYErg&sadssc=1

Had to put a link, guess I'm not allowed to use the image feature?

I couldn't get the link to open, but I'll check back soon. I have a mystery 'chu too--lol!

The link leads to your email attachment. You should be able to post photos; try uploading them to photobucket or similar, and link them from there :)

No, that one wasn't quite right either. I second photobucket; it's free, and it's very easy.

If you check the how to section there is some links for how to use photobucket to post pictures (:

Depending on how the wen growth develops I'd say you have a lovely lionhead ahead of you. The back isn't smooth but I notice that once you get a bit of growth the back will smooth out. I however, am not too sure whether a tail will tuck over time or not.

Beautiful fish either way :)

Looks like a lionhead to me too. There isn't really a tail tuck. He's a nice looking fish, no matter what he is. :)

IMO, it's a Ranchu: from the lack of pronounced head growth (I agree with bodoba, the wen will come in time with good grooming), the curve of the spine (lionheads tend to have almost ramrod straight backs), and while the tail tuck isn't a tight 45 like the "standard" the angle is similar to TVR. Could even be a Lionchu. Still a pretty little fish =) Looking forward to pics in the future!

I would say it is a Lionhead.

Ranchus have a sudden tilt of the tail and an arched back. Lionheads have almost straight backs and not a tilted tail.

It seems it doesn't have a straight spine but it's nothing to worry about. I have a ranchu with its spine not straight.

These types of goldfish are really nice to look from above :)

Also note that not all Lionheads necessarily have to have a headgrowth.

Your's has a really vibrant colour.

Edited by Spyromon

If you ever breed Ranchu you will find every possible tail angle in a batch of fish. A Ranchu with a bad tail doesn't make it a lionhead. Everything about this fish other than the tail tuck is a Ranchu.

Ranchu. Lionheads have a tubular peduncle.

What's a penduncle? Is it part of the tail?

The transition area between body and tail, where the two meet :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The transition area between body and tail, where the two meet :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! What a fun word to say. :)