Sign in to follow this  
goldylove

bigger tank growth spurt? & new fishy update

after upsizing from a 15 gal to a 55 it seems my common has grown about half an inch in a week & is about 3 inches long now! it's hard to get an accurate measurement as when i approach the tank he goes crazy thinking i'm going to give them food & doesn't sit still. my fantail is also seeming a bit larger & is at about 3 inches including tail. i thought i was imagining it but my partner agrees that they have grown. must be loving the new digs! interesting how quickly they adjust....

my new ryukin & moor are doing well in quarantine. nothing nasty or spotty has shown up yet. currently doing the first round of prazi & salt. looking forward to adding them to the main tank in a couple of weeks. the moor is so funny to watch. i sprinkle food so it falls LITERALLY onto its head & it still doesn't see it, preferring to fossick for it in the sand instead. i've seen it catch maybe 2 pellets out of 50! i'll always make sure he gets something to eat tho, i realise he is at a bit of a disadvantage visually but i think he will make up for it with his persistant vacuuming of the gravel! the ryukin used to gobble the peas then spit them all out again but has started to eat them properly now.

Congrats on the upgrade :) and yes I'm sure your fish are very happy with the extra space and showing their appreciation in new growth :) (mine did the same ;))

How about a full tank shot :)

photos are tricky! they don't sit still long enough & i am using the camera on my phone :veryangry: i'll upload a video instead! my jaffa is finally losing all his black bits, i had hoped they would stay but he's still my special little guy... nancy has also gotten a lot more orange on her, i didn't really notice it happening til i looked at an old photo. the second vid is from a couple of months ago in the smaller tank. he had a nasty bout of flukes at the time & was looking a bit worse for wear. she didn't seem affected but got prazied anyway!

http://s1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee517/strangedays101/?action=view&current=09102012029.mp4

after upsizing from a 15 gal to a 55 it seems my common has grown about half an inch in a week & is about 3 inches long now! it's hard to get an accurate measurement as when i approach the tank he goes crazy thinking i'm going to give them food & doesn't sit still. my fantail is also seeming a bit larger & is at about 3 inches including tail. i thought i was imagining it but my partner agrees that they have grown. must be loving the new digs! interesting how quickly they adjust....

my new ryukin & moor are doing well in quarantine. nothing nasty or spotty has shown up yet. currently doing the first round of prazi & salt. looking forward to adding them to the main tank in a couple of weeks. the moor is so funny to watch. i sprinkle food so it falls LITERALLY onto its head & it still doesn't see it, preferring to fossick for it in the sand instead. i've seen it catch maybe 2 pellets out of 50! i'll always make sure he gets something to eat tho, i realise he is at a bit of a disadvantage visually but i think he will make up for it with his persistant vacuuming of the gravel! the ryukin used to gobble the peas then spit them all out again but has started to eat them properly now.

It is nice to hear that your fishes are growing. Even I have a black moor and I literally do the same thing like you do. I always keep a close watch on him if he is getting to eat something.

I know what you mean it is hard to get a good shot of a 55 gallon for some reason ;) I really like your set up in both tanks the natural feel is very nice :) Thanks for sharing :)

Your tank looks great and your fish are adorable.

thankyou! im pleased they are happy & healthy. the plants were starting to look a bit tragic but after adding sera florena the java fern especially has perked up again. i had a scary incident with my eheim 2217 filter late last night. i thought it seemed to be making a slightly different noise than usual so i kinda tilted it on a 45 degree angle & let it drop back to level again, thinking it may have had some air in it or something. the inlet hose came off & water started gushing out all over the floor!! luckily there's no carpet but i felt sick thinking i hadn't done it up tightly enough all along & it could've come loose while i was at work. there would have been enough water left for the fish to survive but the 2 internal filters i have running in there atm would have probably burnt out & the eheim as well. CHECK YOUR HOSES PEOPLE!!!

I know that feeling! Omg, I had a similar experience once, so now it has become habit to check the hoses regular.

Congrats on upgrading your tank. Your fish are pretty.

I like your substrate, it looks like very fine gravel? is that what it is? or sand? I like that size, there is no way they would choke on those little bits.