Sign in to follow this  
number20121

Too many tiny bubbles?

Is there such a thing as too many tiny bubbles? My bubble wand produces an enormous amount of tiny bubbles. I have moved it up to about 2" below the water surface which reduced the amount by maybe a third.

Now I know that this probably oxygenates the water wonderfully, but can these small bubbles be of any disadvantage to the fish or the filters? The video doesn't even show all of what is going on and I often find bubbles stuck to the fish's slime coat.

I also imagine that the fish will probably swallow quite a bit of these bubbles - can this add to floating issues?

I do not mind the look of the bubbles, just making sure this can not cause any problems. There are even tiny bubbles at the bottom of the tank, they are literally all over the place.

They look rather neat to me. What kind of bubble wand & pump is it?

They look rather neat to me. What kind of bubble wand & pump is it?

It's just a standard 18" bubble wand, the light green type. Got that thing for a couple years at least, I think I got it at Petsmart. The pump is a Whisper 300 which is split between three tanks though. But even before I used this particular air pump I had a ton of these bubbles, but lately I wonder if that is actually ok for the fish.

I personally don't mind them at all. It looks like reverse snowfall in there :lol

I like it! Jacuzzi for the fish! They look like they are more than happy with the bubbles. :)

Hugo is so very beautiful! Those fins :wub:

Hi Fang,

There is a phenomenon called supersaturation, which can cause gas bubble disease, and this can occur acutely (right away) or chronically (slow development). While those bubbles look great, I am a tad concerned, because with chronic supersaturation, we won't know until they start developing issues.

http://books.google.com/books?id=fLpSO6iOVwsC&pg=PA39&lpg=PA39&dq=aquarium+supersaturation+bubbles&source=bl&ots=pFZHIj8Fv5&sig=n8YKLjbLPHDmsREoKrdH7w9gwL8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ZPpzUKuCPeeW2AXJr4DQDQ&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false

I think in the end, it might be better to go with the bigger bubbles.

Hi Fang,

There is a phenomenon called supersaturation, which can cause gas bubble disease, and this can occur acutely (rightly) or chronically (slow development). While those bubbles look great. I am a tad concerned, because with chronic supersaturation, we won't know until they start developing issues.

http://books.google....uration&f=false

I think in the end, it might be better to go with the bigger bubbles.

Thanks! That is something I was wondering about too. I think I'll get a needle today and see if I can reduce the small bubbles by poking a few larger holes into the wand, or maybe I'll replace it with the bubble disk :)

can u not get a air tap to slow the bubbles down, goes on your air line

Or could put a small clip on the airl ine to slow the amount of air going through as a quick fix

Edited by Jay

can u not get a air tap to slow the bubbles down, goes on your air line

Or could put a small clip on the airl ine to slow the amount of air going through as a quick fix

I could also just tie a knot into the airline, line I do it one some of the other tanks that are fed by the Tetra Whisper 300 LOL This bubble wand always used to make these ultra small bubbles though, so today I am switching to a bubble disk I have, which I know makes larger bubbles :)

I just want to say your fish are beautiful. Loved watching the video.

I just want to say your fish are beautiful. Loved watching the video.

Thank you very much! :)

I have switched the bubble wand out with a nice big bubble disk. The output on it is enormous and I have to weigh it down with a large river rock. No more bubbles stuck to the slime coat of the fish either, yay!