Sign in to follow this  
mattyhills1987

why they keep chasing?

Hello there!!..been doing some research on this but i just want your thoughts.... My fish have been chasing the same fish (not all the time) but sometimes, and its always the same one... reading up that it could be the female fish and the others are trying to get the eggs ??....Some other people say that fish do this because its dying and they can sence the sick fish ?... others say they are fighing for territory..

Anyway iv make a short clip of it... to see what you lot think..cheers

best to start at 15secs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpwHkZnIWdg&feature=youtu.be

Edited by mattyhills1987

it certainly could be breeding behavior, OR it could be food aggression too, Does this behavior seem to happen shortly after feeding??

how many fish and how many gallons is the tank??

I am no EXPERT on fish behavior, so we will see what other members say about this .............. :D

Edited by Sharkbait3

Looks like breeding behavior to me. The male fish bumps the females full belly to encourage the eggs to come out.

it certainly could be breeding behavior, OR it could be food aggression too, Does this behavior seem to happen shortly after feeding??

I am no EXPERT on fish behavior, so we will see what other members say about this .............. :D

99gals with 6fish just happens random, with or without been given food...... then they will just all stop after lol

Looks like breeding behavior to me. The male fish bumps the females full belly to encourage the eggs to come out.

thats what am edging too, since last year i found a baby fish inside the back of the pump in my old river reef 94L.. and they were doing this in there aswell with the same fish....

It does look like possible breeding behavior, but any of the things you listed are possibilities. The thing I would keep an eye out for is the health of the fish being chased. If you see any abnormal behavior (bottom sitting, hiding, clamped fins etc) you may want to start a D&D thread just to rule it out. Do any of your fish have breeding stars by chance?

My fantail did that to my oranda in my 10 Gallon since they joined together even though there both males (white spots on gills). My fantail eventually stopped with the food aggression about 5-6 months later?

Check if your goldfish has white spots on their gills, that means their males.

My 2 do this during feeding, but also thought it could be breeding behaviour

Yeah the one that is doing it the most has the most white little spots on its gills, and a few on the front fins... others that chase it aswell have white spots but not that many.

Yeah the one that is doing it the most has the most white little spots on its gills, and a few on the front fins... others that chase it aswell have white spots but not that many.

If you don't see white spot on one of your goldfish, it must be female. If the male is picking on the male, the only answer left is food aggression

Sounds like you have some boys in breeding condition in your tank :D If the chasing becomes aggressive/constant and your lady fish becomes too tired/stressed it is a good idea to give her a break. You can use a tank divider or float her in a large colander to give her a little recovery time :)

Hello again my fishies!!

Sooo a few weeks after i had made this post i woke up today (20/10/12) and seen alot of small clear balls on the bottom of the sand... As having a baby fish born in my old tank last year. I take it that these might be eggs.. I defo dont have no snails in there so its not them and snail eggs are like gue last time i had snails in my old tank...Also how do i know if they have been fertilised??

Anyway less talk more pics!

YYgABl.jpg

98J7kl.jpg

Just to be on the safe side iv put around 15 in the hachery that i bought last year for my baby fish that was born.. To see if they are fish eggs...

N6p9il.jpg

They look like fish eggs but be advised that eggs are highly probable to develop fungus on them if they are unfertilized, this puts your other fish at risk for fungal infections if your water quality dips.

After 24 hrs unfertilized eggs will become opaque or white, remove those before fungus sets in.

Fertile eggs will be pale yellow or amber coloured.

Good luck, many people keep a fry journal on here to log their development. :)

WOOT Eggs :thumb:

Well good news 4 are swimming around abit then they stop. I've had to wrap the hatchery in filter wool as the holes are bigger than the tiny little fishes... some of them I think are still growing as they are curled up still but I'll see in a get days time I guess.....

I'll start a new post on here later on when they are bigger don't want to start one then they die :(