How to UN set up a planted tank?

LovelyChaos

:rofl I just had to put this here. It won't necessarily not be a planted tank, but i will be limiting what kind of plants I can get. I want to go barebottom, I just love how clean it looks. My question is how do I go about getting the sand I have in my 55 out? I can get gravel no problem, as my net has wide enough mesh to separate them, but I also don't have a good way to get my sand out. What has worked for some people? Also, I hate the oak trim on my 55, would there be any harm in painting it black? All fish have been moved to QT tanks to get them treated with prazi (some never have had a prazi treatment) so I have some time to redecorate (: How long should I give my tank afterwards to regrow the lost BB on the gravel and sand? Should I add some colony or tetra safe start to help out after removing the substrate? I plan on getting potted plants, like sword and anubias, maybe some ludwigia (:

Scoop out whatever you can using a bowl/cup etc. when you are down to the bottom of it, use your siphon/water changer without the attachment (just the tubing) to suck out the last bits of sand

Tithra told me to do that last week, and it works great!

Be careful though, the suction is SUPER strong, and can really hurt your fish, if caught in the crossfire. :( The buckets also fill up very quickly, so have one eye on those, and the other one on your fish. I almost overflowed my 5 gallon buckets a few times because I had three and a half eyes on my fish.

When I did it, I just put my finger over the front of the hose, so that nobody could swim up to it.

I had to do it twice before I got everything up, but it looks great.

About the BB's, I am now having a small bump, but I'm hoping it'll be over soon. :(

Is the oak trim actual wood, or is it a sticker/veneer? If it's actual wood, I don't see why you couldn't paint it. You'd just have to be very neat about it.

Tithra told me to do that last week, and it works great!

Be careful though, the suction is SUPER strong, and can really hurt your fish, if caught in the crossfire. :( The buckets also fill up very quickly, so have one eye on those, and the other one on your fish. I almost overflowed my 5 gallon buckets a few times because I had three and a half eyes on my fish.

When I did it, I just put my finger over the front of the hose, so that nobody could swim up to it.

I had to do it twice before I got everything up, but it looks great.

About the BB's, I am now having a small bump, but I'm hoping it'll be over soon. :(

Is the oak trim actual wood, or is it a sticker/veneer? If it's actual wood, I don't see why you couldn't paint it. You'd just have to be very neat about it.

I think it is just a plastic trim. My fish are all out of the tank so I have no worries they would get caught in the crossfire (:

The plastic might not hold the paint so well. If you plan to drain it, try to paint a corner of the back wall, and see how it goes. Using brushes will probably give you deep brushstrokes though.

There's always black duct tape! :D All the patterns it comes in now...it's too cool!

The plastic might not hold the paint so well. If you plan to drain it, try to paint a corner of the back wall, and see how it goes. Using brushes will probably give you deep brushstrokes though.

There's always black duct tape! :D All the patterns it comes in now...it's too cool!

I could do a moustache pattern! I might try different things, like paint, electrical tape and duct tape (: