Sign in to follow this  
LovelyChaos

Betta aging? Or other problem?

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 0

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

Mardel Strips

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

2.5, 4 months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

Aquatech 1-3

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

Every other week, 80%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

none

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

Prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

HBH Betta Bites

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

No

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

None

[*]Any unusual findings o

n the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

Bubble nest is less clumped together and neat, more bubbles detached and all over

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

See above

So, I got Yuki right around this time last year. At first he would not eat, and it took me a week to get him to start eating and he would only eat bloodworms but now loves his pellets. When I got him I didn't notice him making his nests but a couple of months ago, and last month, I noted his bubble nests were impressive, large, and very well formed. They have gotten less formed as of a couple of days ago when I switched him from the 20 back to his 2.5g. I read that when bettas bubble nests become a little sloppier it could be a sign of illness. He has always been very healthy, active, and aware. His eyes are clear and only closes his fins to swim around. He does this weird thing with his pectoral fins (the long thin ones that come from under his actual fins) it goes out to one side and it kind of looks like it is bothering him. Is his lowered skill in bubble nest making something I should be concerned about? Sorry for the improper terms for his fins :P I am rusty on betta anatomy. I can't get pictures or videos because it is too dark for now. I will get some tomorrow (:

I don't think you need to be concerned about the nests and the behaviour in terms of illness. moving to a much smaller tank would definitely have it's toll in terms of stress level, so just keep an eye on him for the time being. Can I ask why he has been downsized? He would be a lot better back in the larger 5 gallon tank.

Still make a video, just to be sure, but I honestly don't think at this stage that anything needs be done, other than making sure the water is clean, warm, and keeping an eye on him. I think he is just stressed :)

Bubble nests will occasionally not be as well formed; that is normal. When they are quite big and individually or slightly displaced on the surface is when there might be an issue, but it still doesn't mean that there definitely is an issue :)

I don't think you need to be concerned about the nests and the behaviour in terms of illness. moving to a much smaller tank would definitely have it's toll in terms of stress level, so just keep an eye on him for the time being. Can I ask why he has been downsized? He would be a lot better back in the larger 5 gallon tank.

Still make a video, just to be sure, but I honestly don't think at this stage that anything needs be done, other than making sure the water is clean, warm, and keeping an eye on him. I think he is just stressed :)

Bubble nests will occasionally not be as well formed; that is normal. When they are quite big and individually or slightly displaced on the surface is when there might be an issue, but it still doesn't mean that there definitely is an issue :)

He was downsized because I had to use my 20 for a QT when my 10's filter went out. I plan to build a community tank soon, and he will be going back in there or he will get his very own 10 gallon since I now have one to spare. (: I will get the video up for him. He has always been in the 2.5 (I thought it was a 5 at first) and he will get a bigger tank but for now that's all I have \:

He was downsized because I had to use my 20 for a QT when my 10's filter went out. I plan to build a community tank soon, and he will be going back in there or he will get his very own 10 gallon since I now have one to spare. (: I will get the video up for him. He has always been in the 2.5 (I thought it was a 5 at first) and he will get a bigger tank but for now that's all I have \:

Ah ok cool! :) Well I think it would just be a little stress and should calm down :)

Sorry for not video updating! When I was going to upload it I noticed he made a bigger bubble nest than I have ever seen him make! It was stacked really high and was about 1/3 an inch above the water (: he is also more lively and has gone back to attacking his food :rofl