Help

chelsea

my oranda glimmer shes not good....i woke up this morn and she was floating at the top so i tapped her to see if she was alive and she was so i fed her and she swam around a little bit and i couldnt do anything else cause i had to leave for school and i got home now and she was stuck on the filter and trying to get off and so i pulled her off but its like her back is broken sorta and shes just floating around aimlessly where the water pulls her and my stats are: 29 gal tank, 5 fish, weekly waterchanges, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, ph is 7.4...she doesnt have any scales sticking out, no dots, she looks absolutely fine....help please this is my most favorite fish, my first oranda ever...

aaaww chelsea! im sorry to hear that your favorite little one isnt doing too well? :o

you said she acted as though she had a "broken back" so, is she bent a little. if you look down on her, does she have a crook in her body? is she breathing ok? is she pooping at all? if so, what does it look like? do you think maybe she has sbd from constipation? sometimes goldies with sbd will let the filter intake screen "hold" them there. they may feel more stable like that. jmo.

have you thought about trying to fast her for a couple of days and then feeding hers peas for a few more? ive read that it works wonders for "floaty goldies"!

i sure hope she comes around for you soon! :unsure:

I'm sorry about Glimmer Chelsea....At this point I think that you can no longer do anything for your beloved fish...When they start to float like you are describing they go no where but downhill. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

toothy, i already did the fasting thing this week, 2 days ago. and then yesterday i fed them the sinking pellets so i dont know that i'd be sbd? there is a definate crook in her body...shes breathing slow,..not pooping... :(

my nemo,

actually, no disrespect intended, ive read many cases were people were able to "control" there goldies sbd and/or constipation. hopefully glimmers case will be one of them! :)

oops, you must have posted when i was typing my mine.

do you have any med-gold that you could feed her for a while? if a bacterial infection has anything to do with it, the med-gold will help.

unfortunately, i have very little to no experience when it comes to this strange "bent fish" syndrome. maybe emma, happy or pm94 has some info on this malady. sorry i cant be much more help! :unsure:

although ive read that injections of antibiotics in fish can work miracles, maybe thats something to look into. :(

nah...no medigold. i dont think my parents would let me take her somewhere for an injection..actually, i KNOW they wont..yeah, i will just have to wait and see if she survives while waiting for the others to see this post.

Toothless, No disrespect taken. Like I said correct me if i'm wrong. I just read somewhere when the fish starts floating around with the current of the water they go no where but downhill. SBD is different though, the fish doesn't just let the current take them anywhere. They actually try to swim to where they want to go. So please forgive me if I'm wrong and Please try to help glimmer

Big C, sorry to hear about your Glimmer. When your fishy friend

was floating at the top, was it belly up or dorsal fin up? After the

fasting period, did you feed any peas, just in case?

How's the rest of the gang look? You mentioned drifting around

the tank, if she wanted could she swim towards something, like

food?

I know, lots of questions, it just helps eliminate obvious things. :)

lets see here....shes floating on her left side (there is a def. crook almost like an "L" i think its broken)...no no peas (we usually dont even have any...we all are pea-haters here lol)...everyone else is fine....i think she was floating all over before b/c of the filter so i turned the filter off so now shes just floating at the top, still but breathing...i tried to feed her, i held her in my hand and let the food float infront of her face but she didnt eat anything.

I'm inclined to say constipation. I can't remember, but doesn't

a severe case cause the "bent" look. So, that would call for

peas. I know how ya feel with peas. I dislike too, but have

bags just for the goldies. If the peas don't do anything in

a day or two, try hiding an epsom salt crystal in a pea. Or,

just the salt crystal.

Keep us informed on what happens. :)

paul (pm94),

wow! i didnt know that sbd could be so severe as to cause a "bent" look! very interesting. what do you think about the possibility of fancy goldies being able to spasm or convulse hard enough to break there own backs? without electrocution, that is.

sorry chelsea, im not trying to cause you any further stress or anything. im just very, probably overly, curious. :unsure:

Big C, fast your fish for a couple days, then do the pea route. If

you can raise the temp up a couple degrees, or to 78ish. Then,

if that doesn't work add the salt crystal.

toothy, feel free to call me Paul

As for your question :idont They'd have to get spooked pretty good

for that to happen. I found an article which explains some things

that happen with SBD and the bent look. The main gist of the bent

look is theorized to be GAS. Just like us when we get bloaty/gasey,

fish will bend to achieve a comfy feel. Here's the link, the article is

about 1/2 down:

http://puregold.aquaria.net/pg/disease/sym...tom/symptom.htm

Egg impaction can have the same effects as constipation, yet can cause extreme bloating in one side of the fish. If one side sticks out more that the other the fish will appear to be "bent". The bloated side will float to the surface, kind of sideways belly up. (Edit: the vet at Shed has said that this bloating is due to the infection and the gasses that build up, either from the bacterial wastes or the constipation that the bloating causes as it blocks the fish's natural eliminations. Combinations of problems all seem to come hand in hand. The eggs being partially reabsorbed or imcompletly reabsorbed can also cause excess "gas" and affect the fish with bloating and constipation)

I have dealt with numbers of fish like this. I have had the most success in treating this with a combination of things.

1. Iso tank if possible. (probably not contagious, though - just easier to deal with)

2. raise the temp. to 78- 80 degrees F.

3. Prevent the fish's side or belly from breaking the surface of the water. This will prevent air ulcers from forming. I suspend a plastic grid just under the surface of the water with ties and air line suction cups.

4. Feed peas ( or spirilina flakes or spinach or something green. Peas are really best.)

5. Feed MediGold. It is really the deciding thing in the fish I have treated. It really works. It seems that much of the single sided bloating comes from a internal bacteria infection. I have had a fish right itself and bottom out within 2 days of Medigold treatment. If Glimmer cannot make it to the bottom to eat the pellets, take her gently in your hand, turn her upright, and drive her down to the bottom and drive her around letting her eat as you go. She will learn very quickly. I also like to "walk" such fish as much as possible, holding them gently so they can paddle their fins and get exersise. Movement has to help with any constipation that is there.

Unfortunately every fish that has gone as far as the ones I have had, have ended up cured, but "sitters" - meaning they sit on the bottom most of the rest of their lives. They can swim, and will swim. They are happy and alert, but cannot float effortlessly in the water as before.

Perhaps Glimmer will be the one that proves this hypothisis incorrect. I certainly hope so.

Good luck, Chelsea. Let me know if I can help in any way.

ok, upon further inspection, the side that is always on top has a lump and usually both sides have a bump there but the underside does not have one right now. so im thinking its what you, daryl and paul, have said. i will fast and then use peas and epsom salts. i do not have medigold and also do not have a hospital tank, or even anything i could use as one except for a bucket (but dont you think she'd wanna be by her friends? and not lonely in a stark white bucket?) i dont know what i could use to keep the side from getting air now and then cause i dont have plastic gridding and its a big tank...i tapped (not too hard) her down into the water and she straightened out mostly but then returned to the top bent so i dont think her spinal cord is broken. thanks for the fast help guys, i've never had a sick fish before (!) and i hadnt a clue what todo for glimmer.

today she's up and flopping around! not the best thing, b/c she is still at the top but today she must be feeling better because she flopped over to greet me. i really think its either constipation or egg impaction b/c she has a large bump on the side thats at the top. i just wanted to see if she would eat so i 'drove' her to a few teeny peices of food and in they went..but now i will fast her. i think she's already feeling better.

thats good news, chelsea! i hope she makes further progress. im going to be ordering some med-gold this weekend. would you like me to pack some up and mail it to you? i will, if you like! :D

That is good news! And I hope that you get some peas--if you buy one small bag of frozen peas it will be a lifetime supply in your household!

I have some medigold and could mail it--but I know how your parents feel about you giving out your address. PM me if it would be ok for me to mail you some. I could send it ASAP.

:hi

thanks you guys! i just got home and shes swimmin and floppin. my mom said she'll think about letting you guys send me some medigold. soo protective!

there is often a bacterial problem present when this happens also, i would strongly recoment either some medigold or... another bacterial treatment, but if she is having problems eating, NO fish can resist medigold :D

hope your fishy better soon :)

Chelsea - Glad to hear Glimmer is doing better. As for the plastic grid - go to nooppee in the craft section, they have it for under $1. It is meant for sewing, but works great in the tank for a divider or to hold a fish underwater. These are great to have on hand.

Chelsea, that is exactly the sort of plastic grid - and a good place to get it cheaply.

AS far as protective.....there is protective and there is perhaps too protective. I am proud of your parents that they take such care of you and have such concern for your well being. But sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith...... there is absolutely no harm in looking at where you are leaping and judging about where you could end up before you leap, but you eventually have to take that leap.....life will pass you by if you do not. They cannot keep you wrapped up in bubble wrap all of your life.

I will be more than happy to spit my MediGold with you, also, for I bought way too much. This is offered as a friend... nothing else. Your parents have friends and they should know that one of the way friendships are developed is by allowing someone else to do for you occasionally, just as you like to do for them. There are no strings, no expectations....merely pleasure.

Perhaps if your father were to have all packages addressed to HIM, so he can open them first and check them out. Or what if they were sent to his place of business, that way he would have even more control.....?

I am sure that those here who have offered would be pleased to be allowed to share with you, just as you have shared your wit and enthusiam and joy for life with all of us. Perhaps, if you asked, your parents will allow this leap of faith.

:)

Archived