Sign in to follow this  
wteoh1

What the longest time you've gone without a WC?

I'm pretty bad at water changes.....1 and a half months when I upgraded my tank in June cuz my tank was cycling -_-

My parents are still arguing with me about conversing water in the house...they said once a month. It was later when I told them about there horrible experience with fishkeeping and a good reason why I've changed water so I ended up winning the argument and doing water changes every one or two weeks.

I seriously worried at the fact that I'm going to Asia this summer for a month and whos gonna take care of my fish since I can't trust vacation feeders??

Edited by wteoh1

All summer long? :rofl I had 5 fish in a 270 gal pond, I normally don't change the water in my pond, just add to it if the rain's late. :)

One week is all I have done... since my PH will go down if I dont :(

A little over a week. Water looked and tested good, but there must be something I cant see. After about ten days my red cap gets tiny red spots on her fins. She is super finiky so I do once a week whether the test are good or not. If I get any nitrate reading she acts pouty and gets red spots. I use large bamboo to keep them down. Still need do weekly to keep her happy. Wonder what it could be in there that bothers her, any ideas.

When my daughter had her 5 1/2 gallon tank with her 2 goldfish she did a wc once a month. We've since upgraded her tank to a 55 gallon and together (or just myself) we do a 60% wc. I had learned on this forum to do it weekly.

I once went 9 days without a water change due to being on vacation. I was really nervous though and did a lot to prepare. I fasted my two fish for a couple days before we left, did two 90% back-to-back water changes right before we left that morning, turned the flow on both my filters all the way up, added two air pumps, and left the water level slightly low for extra surface movement. I also had my cousin stop by a few times to check on them and left pre-portioned food out for her to feed them three times, basically every other day. Everything turned out totally fine and their water barely even had 10ppm nitrate when I got back. I could NEVER do that now though with my stocking level.

How many fish do you have, how big is your tank, how much filtration? A month is way too long to go, at least in my opinion. At the very least they will need a massive water change once or twice while you are gone and very minimal feeding.

A month is pushing it for a goldfish tank...I have gone more than that with a 55 gallon community tank which is not heavily stocked and the fish and nitrates were okay, but I have gone about 2 weeks tops for my goldfish, pleco, snail tank.

I haven't gone more than 36 hours. *sigh* I'm jealous of all of you! :lol

The longest I went was 10 days. I have a huge tank and need 3 hours to commit to a water change. So when I worked 9 days in a row, I had to wait but fed them less. Nitrates still never went over 10ppm though.

one week is the longest I've ever gone or would go

a week is the longest I think I had ever gone with out a w/c and that was because I was in the hospital and or on vacation ;) i like to do mine every third day :) thankfully we are not charged for water in our apartment complex ;)

7 days is the longest, and I would never do that again. My poor fishies hated me!

Man you guys are strict about water changes.

I go without water changes after 1 week my oranda will "rest" on the surface on the water and if provoked he would go back to normal.

My mom is the one who feeds my goldfish with green peas 3-4x a week.

The longest I've been is .... Is... I guess.... Um... Well I've never missed . I've never been away longer than a week . I always do a water change before and after I go away for a couple days.

My Nitrates used to be sky high at 180ppm if I didn't change the water in two weeks which is when I had my Goldfish in my 10 Gallon.

Now it only goes up to 40 ppm after 3 weeks.