Allergic Reaction to API Testing Chemicals

Since using my testing kit about a week now I have been noticing some reactions I have been having physically. I have not used gloves but have been very careful. I wear my glasses in case of splatters. I may be doing something wrong with handling but after testing I go to an empty sink pour the contents of tube down the drain then rinse my tube and lid with tap water. I have been noticing a burning feeling on my face and today looked in the mirror and have red puffy areas around my eyes and cheeks. I don't feel any solution is splattering on my face but wonder if any gases are rising somehow because even my throat feels funny. Could this stuff be getting in the pores of my skin on hands and getting in my system?

I feel so foolish and upset because testing is such a vital part to keeping and maintaining my fish.

Salicylate in the ammonia

HCL in the nitrate

HCL in the nitrate

That's the only things I could see. If you are allergic to Aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) then you can get sensitivities to slicylate anywhere, they are also in some face washes.

I would go see your dr, list your allergy situations.

For now you can get disposable masks and gloves at most pharmacies (espeically pharmacies attached to medical facilities) I wear them at work occasionally cause of the chemicals we use to clean

Thank you so much bodoba! I will get gloves and masks today! I know the gases are bothering because I can tell through my breathing so the mask will be helpful.

I would still go to your dodctor to get this checked out :) I hope you feel better soon :heart

• Supporter

hun, i used to get reactions to the test kits also.

there are two that are corrosive. ie, the ammonia and nitrates kits. if you drop some onto a piece of varnished wood, you will notice that the liquid will burn through the varnish to expose the raw wood underneath. i since use ziplock bags. i enclose the test tube (with lid affixed), ziplock the bag, hold the test tube as i normally would and shake it like that.

most of the flask's lids allow a little bit of fluid to seep through during a shake. this can coat the flask whilst you're shaking it and come onto your skin. i noticed this when i was shaking the nitrates flask, when i looked at my white(ish) marble floors, there were spots of pink on them from where i stood shaking the nitrates test.

Thank you MissColonel and stakos. The Ziplock bag is a good idea. I tested around 7:45 to 8:00 this morning and it is 10:45 and still feeling irritation on my face. My doctor is off on Fridays but may have to go to urgent care. Yesterday it did this and eventually wore off.

• Supporter

i would just keep rinsing with water and use very well balanced, non fragrant moisturisers until you can see a doctor. i would also present to the doctor with your test kits :)

(ok, that made me laugh.. haha)

most of the flask's lids allow a little bit of fluid to seep through during a shake. this can coat the flask whilst you're shaking it and come onto your skin. i noticed this when i was shaking the nitrates flask, when i looked at my white(ish) marble floors, there were spots of pink on them from where i stood shaking the nitrates test.

They definitely leak a little. I wrap my nitrates one in a paper towel while i shake it now too. Even though I am holding the lid on they leak a bit onto the paper towel.

I can't say I shake that violently. I also know that hives, urticaria and other skin reactions are accelerated if you are dehydrated. I don't know whether the skin is more sensitive at that time or not, but I know that upping my water and moisturizing everyday lowers my amount of hives I get at work. Even if it doesn't work there's little harm in drinking more water and keeping your skin moisturized :)

• Admin

WOW Im so sorry hun, I never had a problem with the test kits, but I can say Im highly allergic to dust, so I feel your pain... Please be careful and go to the docs :hug

I agree with everyone else, go see your doctor. I would also remember to thoroughly wash your hands before and after doing anything with the fish tank so you don't spread anything to your person or fish.

I went to the doctor and he looked at my eyes and put me on a steroid pack, antihisemine, and cortisone cream. I asked if I could use my API kit if I use gloves he said no. I am hypersensitive to these chemicals. So my aquarium is at a crucial period in the cycle and unless my husband will do these test , I will have to use test strips and hope for the best.

I am so sick about this. Thank you everyone for your information and encouraging words.

Sounds like your dr did everything right. Just because you are hypersensitive now doesn't mean you will be for life, there is a chance that these symptomes will subside. I hope you aren't in too much pain and that you get well soon.

• Admin

I went to the doctor and he looked at my eyes and put me on a steroid pack, antihisemine, and cortisone cream. I asked if I could use my API kit if I use gloves he said no. I am hypersensitive to these chemicals. So my aquarium is at a crucial period in the cycle and unless my husband will do these test , I will have to use test strips and hope for the best.

I am so sick about this. Thank you everyone for your information and encouraging words.

Oh wow hun... :hug

image_zps6325ac53.jpg

I had my husband do this test today. I put on gloves, mask, and safety glasses and instructed him from a distance. My face is starting to feel like have a sunburn again and feeling funny so this lets me know this can't be done in the house or anywhere around me. I cannot believe this.

We are going to do a 20 to 30 % water change today.