Fantail Problem... Plz Help!

Guest silverwing

Guest silverwing

Hie everyone!

I have two gorgeus fantails, Mischa and SilverWing living in a 2 gal tank. I clean the tank every week according to everything I've read. the tank appears clean and isn't cloudy or anything.

When I got them (which was about three and a 1/2 weeks ago) they both had little black markings at the egde of their tailfins. I supposed that was just the way they were. Silverwing also had some black markings on his body. But Mischa only had them at the edge of her fins. Two days back Mischa suddenly started sporting more black marks all over her body. I am inclined to think that she is just growing up but have begun to worry thinking it might not be a disease.

I saw pictures of the diseases in the disease page and none of them match what they have. If anyone has had this problem before please setlle my doubts!!

Thankyou soooo much!

:thanks

hello and welcome to the board!

first off let me tell you this: your goldies are actually living in VERY cramped conditions. it may not seem so at first glance but, goldies need at least 10 gallons each. tehy are VERY messy and poop and pee a lot more than you think. in a small tank such as yours the water can get toxic very fast (high ammonia and nitrites).

secondly, black markings on young goldies are rather common. goldfish can go through drastic color changes and are commonly due to genetics and diet. but, black marking can also be a sign of ammonia burns, wich is quite possible in your case. the black marks from ammonia burns are actually the healing process after the burns are inflicted (kind of like a scab).

do you know your water params? ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/ph are the important ones at this point. if you dont have any test kits, you can take a glass of tank water to your local fish store and get it tested (most of the time, for free). make sure to get them to write the numbers down so that you can post back here with the results. once we have those numbers we will be better able to come up with a diagnosis.

your goldies sound very nice! any chance of some pics?

post back soon! :hi

• 2 weeks later...
Guest silverwing

Hi...

Sorry I didn't reply but I'm a university student so things come up! Anyways, You were right about the nitrate and pH levels. I had a highly basic tank which means ammonia (I'm a physical sciences undergrad) And it was about a month since I first got them so I cleaned out the tank and got a pH testing kit and one of those pH equalizer things you get at the pet store. Now I maintain my pH at around 7.0 but I don't put too much of the equalizer thing in, coz I know they might hurt the fishies.

Fortunately, now they're both healthy :happydance , Mischa's spots have vanished from her body and tail and she's looking healthier by the minute. Silverwing is looking better than he has ever looked, even when I got him from the store. (I dun noe if they're actually he and she, coz the guy at the petstore didn't know, but I like to call them like that!) Silver's actually grown! But mischa's the same size. I don't know why that is, but well.

Another thing that I found when cleaning is that like it says on the main page I got a nice container washed it and everything then took some water out of the tank mixed it with some new (dechlorinated) water and let it rest got the right temperature and everything, and I put them in there while I cleaned out the tank. I have no doubt that it's the cleaning that helped more than anything to get them better, but after I'd cleaned and put them back (about half an hour to 45 mins later). Silver was ok... he darted about and all. But Mischa was terrified. She just went and hid behind the air pump and refused to come out. I was actually afraid she was dead coz she wasn't moving at all. I put in some food to tempt her out but she didn't even take that. Silver would actually go and bump into her to make her move, but she'd just shift slightly and just sit there. It took her about 2 hours to get normal. Now she's fine, but I'm afraid to take them out again looking at how scared she was. Is that normal? Coz Silver sure wasn't. He might've been a little stressed but food cured that fine! Any help will be appreciated.

As far as the cramped conditions are concerned, I got the tank from nnnnnn (hey i'm a university student!!) and the guy there told me that two fish will be fine in it. I know I should've researched more, but oh well, guess I'll just have to clean often enough. And the pictures, well, my camera doesn't do too well with non-flash photography (or maybe it's me :idont ) and I dun want to take a flash pic of them, but if I ever get a legible pic I'll definitely put it up!

thankyou sooo much for your help! really appreciate it! :hi

I did the same thing 2 gallon with 3 baby goldfish. This is way too unhealthy and crowded. Goldfish are the dirtiest fish, the cutest, but the dirtiest. They may look okay but you should consider getting them at least a twenty gallon as goldies need at least 10 gallons of water per fish. If you can't afford it, I feel your pain as I am a student too, then maybe you could put them in a rubbermaid container with aeration. If you can't get that right now I would suggest a 50% water change everyday because they're basically eating and breathing in their waste.

Guest Hutchtaz

I started out the same way. A 2 gallon Explorer tank with bio-wheel for my daughter. Now, 2- 10 g., 1- 20 g. and 2- Explorer tanks (for bettas, of course) later, we are going to get a 55 g. tonight. It is addicting!

But, you are going to have to be extremely careful with a tank that small. I know from first hand experience! The black mark were most probably healing from ammonia burns. The rubbermaid container might be the way to go. It is really difficult to keep goldies in the 2 g. tank. --I know, I thought that 10 g. per fish was silly at first, too, but it is true.

Archived