Adding Prime...

Black

I apologise if this question has been asked before but I couldn't find it.

When you add prime (or any water conditioner) do you add it gradually?

Because when I do water changes, I figure out how much prime I need and then add this amount gradually with each bucket of tap water I add to the tank.

I just wondered if it was neccessary to do it like this, and whether some people just add it all after the WC

Edited by Black

Because of the high concentration, one capful treats 50 gallons of water, I don't really think there is a gradual way to add it. I do 80-90% water changes weekly and I just add the amount before I add the new water.

If you're already doing buckets, the best way is to treat each individual bucket.

But if you have a python or similar, and you want to add your prime all at once, you add enough for the whole tank at the beginning before you start adding the water back in.

When it's very hot out, I have been known to add enough for a quarter of a tank, wail till it's a quarter full, then add enough for another quarter, wait till it's half full, etc. this is because prime can bind up the oxygen in a tank, and there is not too much oxygen in warm water to begin with. But I think this process is not particularly necessary, just something I do because I'm like that.

Edit to add: if you get the tiny bottle of prime, you can add drops of prime at a rate of two drops per gallon. This is how I do buckets, when I do it that way. I just refill this bottle from one of the big bottles of prime when it runs out.

Edited by Courtney

I normally need 2ml of prime or just over. I use a pipette to put 0.5ml into every other bucket. i do this because I worry that if I put all the prime in first before I add all the new water then the concentration will be too high for the fish. I don't know whether that's true?

I don't need to worry about hot weather here!

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Prime.html

The directions for prime on the website state this

quote - " For smaller doses, please note each cap thread is approx. 1 mL. May be added to aquarium directly, but better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume. Sulfur odor is normal. "

Don't know if that helps, in my mind, I always have a bucket of water to go in right after I add the full amount of prime, I can't imagine those few seconds would cause anything.