Ribbontail

The other day I removed the guys from the big tank in order to suck some TMS out with the unprotected hose. I used this to take a few pics of Vanille.

For those newer that do not know her "story", I bought her as a mostly red and some white ryukin a couple years ago. It turned out though that she is not a ryuking, but what Steve Hopkins from Raingarden Goldfish refers to as "true ribbontail goldfish".

She has a body similar to a ryukin, but minus the hump. Egg shaped, pointy nose, with a tail that is deeply forked and 1.5x (or longer) the body length.

A few months after I got her she started to lose her red, and now only has a few orange blotches left, which I am sure will eventually fully disappear. She is the prettiest pearl white, but has now gotten some very obvious yellow coloring from the Soilent Green (which I do not mind).

This is her during QT when I first got her. She was only 1.25" body length, but you can see the potential for her tail right there, being almost as long as her body (this is how I pick my goldfish LOL). In this photo she is in a standard 1 gallon drum shaped fish bowl - just to let you know how small she was when I got her. :)

rfd08_zps601347be.jpg

Now these photos are from two days ago, she is now about 7" total length.

Here a somewhat side view. As you can tell, her tail is actually hanging down into the water, making it look shorter in the photo than it really is. It probably is about 1.75x her body length now.

It's also an awkward angle of her, she is much rounder and has a deeper body than this

VanilleSG04_zpscb33cedc.jpg

The SG caused color change at the base of her tail

VanilleSG03_zps445579d7.jpg

And a couple top view pictures

LOOKATTHATTAIL

VanilleSG02_zps239d3a52.jpg

VanilleSG01_zps41e02dee.jpg

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

You really see the girth in the second pic showing off the tail. Very beautiful! How old is she?

I'd say roughly 2 years. She is not as big (body size) as some of the other fish that I have had for a shorter period of time than her though. It seems like most of the growth still goes into the tail.

You and I are complete opposites haha I always pick a fish for the shortest tail and you pick the longest haha. You're fish are always so beautiful and finny :wub:

Edited by bodoba

You and I are complete opposites haha I always pick a fish for the shortest tail and you pick the longest haha. You're fish are always so beautiful and finny :wub:

What a beautiful fish!

ou seriously must have the magic touch for tails lol. Or you just luck out when picking goldies...... she is so beautiful :)

She is simply STUNNING! Love her. :heart

Thanks everyone! I love love love long tailed goldfish. Unless it's a breed that naturally has a short tail, I always end up picking one with a really nice long tail :D

Wow she is gorgeous!!!!! I love the color change she went through and that discription you made about here I could totally see that from the pics :rofl

Stunning Fang. I love the flowing fins and light colors.