Foods to promote growth

Gcourtney

Pro gold is great for growth ;) Repashy meat pie is full of protein and if you have small younger goldies repashy spawn and grow would be another option ;)

blood worms are helpful

Pro gold is great for growth ;) Repashy meat pie is full of protein and if you have small younger goldies repashy spawn and grow would be another option ;)

[te name=Pearlscaleperfect' timestamp='1349154240' post='1300481]

For young fish I recommend Pro-gold and high protein foods like salmon and blood worms. I wrote an article on goldfish nutrition and diet that you might want to read if you haven't! You can read it here.(quote) thanks guys I'll have to thy them i have a lot of freeze dried bloodworms

Edited by Gcourtney

Let's talk about protein....

All foods have protein, even vegetable foods. When you read a label and look at the % of protein, a spirulina or other 'green' food can have just as high a protein level as a meaty food. Different proteins are digested differently, and animals have digestive systems designed for the types of proteins they specialize in. Plant proteins are hard to access, because they are locked up inside hard to digest cellulose... HOWEVER, processed fish foods (including Repashy) have isolated the plant protein to make it easier to digest. Herbivore fishes have long digestive tracts to accommodate the longet time needed to digest plant foods.

Animal proteins take less time to digest, so carnivore fishes have shorter digestive tracts. Feeding a carnivore a plant protein is usually ineffective, because the food passes through the gut too quickly for the fish to get the nutrition from it.

Omnivores take the middle road. Goldfish fall into this category. They are not really obligate herbivores, though they can thrive on vegetable diets. However, a fish-meat protein diet may not be the best choice, since the wild progeners of goldfish are more inclined to eat invertebrates as animal food sources than other fish. Crustaceans, worms, insects, molluscs and their eggs are more important sources of animal protein than fish meal. For that reason, if you are looking to add animal protein to your goldfish's diet to induce faster growth (not always the best goal... optimal growth may be slow and steady), I suggest stikingto Soilent Green (which has a decent compliment of invertebrate protein included), community plus or spawn & grow. S&G is a good supplemental diet that provides a high level of fatty acids that are not available in other commercial foods.