Soilent green question

MexiMike83

I feed my 5 fish 2 ice cubes of repashy (I make them in an ice cube tray) BUT my fish are in 62F water and have a lowered metabolism.

I've read that they feed fish on farms, 1-4% of their body weight, I'd say that would be the most accurate amount to aim for. :)

Lol I have no clue. What would you recommend? Oh and I should add that my goldies are approx 6 and 7 inches. So not baby fish.

I just don't want to buy a big bag and not use it all like what happened with the pro gold. But I want enough to stretch my dollar.

Edited by MexiMike83

Well, 1oz of dry powder makes about 6oz of gel. For adult fish, I would feed about 2% of their body weight daily in gel. Now if you knew the weight of your fish, you could easily calculate it out:

Lets say as example that the weight of your two fish combined is 200 grams (random number), then you will feed 4 grams of gel daily.

4 grams are 0.14oz, that means 1oz of gel lasts for about one week.

According to this, an 8oz bag of dry powder lasts for roughly 6 months when you feed 200 grams worth of fish 2% of their body weight daily.

How often do you guys feed your fish? And (again I've never used gel food before) do you just take some out of the freezer, put it into the fridge to thaw and then serve? Or do you just "pop it out of the ice tray" and then melt in some water and then serve or...?

I ordered the 5.3 oz jar. I don't have a scale so this will be interesting.

How often do you guys feed your fish? And (again I've never used gel food before) do you just take some out of the freezer, put it into the fridge to thaw and then serve? Or do you just "pop it out of the ice tray" and then melt in some water and then serve or...?

I ordered the 5.3 oz jar. I don't have a scale so this will be interesting.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/103500-how-many-times-a-day-do-you-feed-your-fish/page__fromsearch__1

I always do my gel food (now using Mazuri AND Rapashy). I mix up my gel food then spread it over a cookie sheet & place in the freezer til solid. Then I cut them into small pieces (maybe 1 inch each). I have each brand in separate freezer bags. And I keep a little "tupperware" container in the frig so thawed food is always ready.

The most econimical way to buy Repashy, with a reasonable expectation of using it all prior to expiration, is a 16 oz bag. THe 5.3 ounce jar is very expensive per ounce compared to foil bags. On my website, a 16 oz bag of Soilent Green costs $27 (+ $6 shiping in USA). I do not sell the 5.3 oz jars because they do not fit in envelopes well, but if they did the cost is almost as high as an 8oz bag.

Repashy will last for 18 - 24 months in its foil bag, opened and resealed, at standard room temperatures. You can keep it cooler and extend that shelf life. If you mix up one ounce of dry powder each week (about 6-8 ounces of finished gel, depending upon the ratio of food to water you use), a 16oz bag would last 16 weeks... probably longer, because for two fish 6 oz of food is a week seems like a lot to me. A 64 oz bag woudl last a year or more, but still within the shelf life of the food.