Quality fish

I-Goldfish

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a look at the fish in AD aquatics today http://www.ad-aquatics.com/index.php?cid=MQ== they had some nice 7" plus fancies

I find AD usually has healthy tanks but the choice of fish they have is really hit and miss, but that could just be my unlucky timing.

• 3 weeks later...

They look pretty mediocre to be honest, especially the red and white "Oranda" a fish of that size should have a much larger wen.

it depends fang has a nice oranda that has no wen at all just a semi smooth head - so it really depends on the genetics and diet of the fish . Those are the key points of a good wen just my :twocents Edited by Gcourtney

Not an oranda if it doesn't have a good wen and hood. My little oranda is only 2.5 inch in body and I would estimate about 40% of his head is wen.

I imagine the ones above were quite cheap. Im not saying they are not good fish who wouldn't make good pets, but it just illustrates the point I made earlier that it is hard in the UK to find well bred fancy goldfish in most LFS.

This guy was £60 for example.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Mr Grump

I'd like to add that we recently spent hundreds of pounds with Star Fisheries buying "high quality" fish which are full of parasites & infections. I would never use them again. (Our tank & all equipment was brand new).

I'd like to add that we recently spent hundreds of pounds with Star Fisheries buying "high quality" fish which are full of parasites & infections. I would never use them again. (Our tank & all equipment was brand new).

Did the fish arrive ill? As you know your tank is massively overstocked, coupled with travel stress could be the cause of your problems. I think it's unfair to write star off, the fish I have seen in your other posts looks like good specimens in terms of colour and body shape. Did you speak with star?

We have just lost another fish.

The fish have parasites. Where did they come from?

I emailed Star & they threatened legal action.

They threatened legal action!? on what basis??

Parasites don't come from nowhere!

Did the fish arrive ill? As you know your tank is massively overstocked, coupled with travel stress could be the cause of your problems. I think it's unfair to write star off, the fish I have seen in your other posts looks like good specimens in terms of colour and body shape. Did you speak with star?

Without saying much more, this is not the first time that fish have come from them with multiple, serious issues resulting in losses. There are certainly lots of people who have good experiences with them, but I think a dose of caution when buying from them is well deserved.

sorry to hear that , but is not first time andy green has had problems with sending unfit fish. It is well documented.

parasites came from China , where the fish come from.

What do you mean? What did they say?

If that is the case, I wonder if you should ever get fish from them again. :/

OFF TOPIC -- i cant believe my thread has had so many responces :saywhat , thanks guys its reallly interesting to know everyones experiences! :panana

Hi......I've only just spotted this thread (been away from the site for a few months and only just re-acquainting myself).

I see you are based in the UK...from personal experience, I have always received good quality of service from Maidenhead Aquatics UK. See...http://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/ ;)

Whether it was a fish or an equipment purchase, I am completely satisfied with my experience with them as a company...they also treat the fish good!! :clapping:

Guest GrahamW

i have pondered using star fisheries for my next fish however i don't think parasites are a reason to write off a stockist. as i understand it Andy does not breed all of the fish himself but imports a lot from asia, its is common that imports are stressed and full of parasites, it is the same with most fish shop stock that is why we qt and treat fish first assume all fish have parasites and illness treat with 0.3% salt solution qt and look for other issues that may need addressing. however to me show quality is not a major concern, a fish that looks good to me and is healthy is.

OFF TOPIC -- i cant believe my thread has had so many responces :saywhat , thanks guys its reallly interesting to know everyones experiences! :panana

Hi......I've only just spotted this thread (been away from the site for a few months and only just re-acquainting myself).

I see you are based in the UK...from personal experience, I have always received good quality of service from Maidenhead Aquatics UK. See...http://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/ ;)

Whether it was a fish or an equipment purchase, I am completely satisfied with my experience with them as a company...they also treat the fish good!! :clapping:

I have only been there twice ! i liked it but it is not very close to where I live :)

• 2 weeks later...