new 55!

goldylove

have got my new 55 gal up & running & the little ones are loving it! have got java ferns, anubias & java moss, hopefully all the hard to kill plants so they have a chance to get started. new lighting to come, maybe some different air stones. tried a flexible bubble wall but found it frustrating. air line in general is very annoying!

30092012384.jpg

30092012385.jpg

th_30092012026.jpg

thankyou for all your comments! the fishies seem to be enjoying having 4 times the space they used to have! i like the fine sandy gravel because it doesn't seem to show algae! it made the water a bit cloudy for a couple of days even after being rinsed for 10 minutes under running water. once its vacuumed a few times i should get most of the fine particles out. i added some pebbles to it in my other tank & they ended up looking really mucky with algae but this type of gravel always looked nice. a couple of the new driftwood pieces were giving me grief & not sinking after 3 days soaking so i siliconed one to a small piece of slate to weigh it down & the other is being held down with the rocks! things may get rearranged when i clean in a week. i like having the plants portable on wood or rock... i'd like some crypts but not sure about rooting into the substrate (i like to rearrange things!) & although i like the little terracotta pots i'm not sure if it will suit my natural look tank. i like watching the fish fossicking around in the sand looking for food, they always swim off spitting out sand as they go & i have no fear it will get stuck in their mouths!

Btw, crypts are my favorite plants, but mine have not done well in my all-sand tank. I don't know if it's the substrate or a coincidence. :( The ones in my tanks with planting substrate do fine.

Edited by ShawneeRiver