Sign in to follow this  
Neil D

Preventative Treatment for Parasites

Neil, as long as you weigh out the correct amount of salt and dissolve it, the size of the bucket does not matter.

Yes, you have the correct idea. Dissolve salt, and add 1/4th to the tank every 12 hours

^ :exactly

I can't see the pic, but yes, it is a lot of salt :) around 38 tablespoons if you were not weighing it out.

Okay so I'm adding the salt to the 2g bucket now. I'll remove the carbon from the filter before adding the prazi and salt.

It may 'seem' like alot of salt but if you compare the salinity your creating in your tank (.3%) vs ocean water (3.5%), its a small amount! :)

I just added 4tsp of prazi to the tank, which is 2x the recommended dose. I'll add 1/4 of the solution into the tank too.

Just did. Finally getting started on something that should have been done months ago. I'll still need your help and I'll keep updating for sure.

Edited by Neil D

Hey Guys,

Ryu is doing fine. I should test the params soon. I haven't had much time because of tests, etc going on at school. Now it's the weekend, and I know I have to do the "bath" thing that Jessica wrote about on the last page. Can someone reiterate this? Is this also really necessary (seems like a lot of stress for the fish)?

Thanks guys!

Neil, if you cannot go back 1 page to read the explanations, including my own explaining why you need salt, then I am not sure that we can be helpful to you.

As with any other endeavor, the person seeking help will also need to exert some amount of cooperation for things to work out.

...3% salt in 8 qts. of water for the salt dip (that's tmrw., today I'm going to do the 50+% WC.)

How many grams of salt for the dip? (Sorry if it makes it seem like I'm asking you guys to do all the calculating, but I really don't trust myself with this.)

...3% salt in 8 qts. of water for the salt dip (that's tmrw., today I'm going to do the 50+% WC.)

How many grams of salt for the dip? (Sorry if it makes it seem like I'm asking you guys to do all the calculating, but I really don't trust myself with this.)

Let's make this an exercise in math. I promise I'll double check it for you. :)

0.1% salt = 3.79 grams per gallon.

wait...I was talking about the dip (bath) thing....isn't that at 3%?

wait...I was talking about the dip (bath) thing....isn't that at 3%?

Yes, it is :)

I'll give you one more clue, although I don't think you need it. 3% is 30 times more than 0.1% :)

I got 227g of salt for 2 gallons.

That's correct! :)

...are you my math teacher?

lol anyway, I'll start the bath thing tomorrow. Out of curiosity, will this hurt him?

...are you my math teacher?

lol anyway, I'll start the bath thing tomorrow. Out of curiosity, will this hurt him?

I'm not your math teacher, but I believe that all young people growing up should know their math! :)

As I explained previously, this well help him. That's the idea after all. Just follow the directions as explained...no more than 5 minutes, and remove if there are signs of distress.

Hey guys.

Something came up last Sunday, and there wasn't enough time for me to do the salt dip. So now I do have time, so how should I change the medication plan to account for the extra 5 days?

I don't know if anyone is following this thread, but I decided to do the salt dip today.

Sorry about the triple post, but as soon as I put him in there, he started floating, so he was only in there for ~15 secs. He's now back in the regular tank and is normal.

My Myng did the same thing. The very first dips for goldfish will normally shock them. Next time it should be longer :)

Okay thanks Koko. This weekend I'l resume Jessica's "procedure".