here is my plan on what to get

I will need

Live sand

Live rock

Salinity meter thing

Powerhead

Lighting

Questions are

Should I be safe if I just buy premix water from the same place all the time? I know it would probably be better to mix my own but I'm just doign a 5 gallon and don't think its worth the time unless I was goign for a bigger tank

I have the basic canopy lighting for the tank, would I be fine with jsut gettign a proper bulb, if so what kind?

What else do I need to know really?

It sounds cool. What will live in the tank? I wish I could help, but I know nothing.

sounds very cool! I also know nothing about saltwater setups and am pretty useless here :P I look forward to seeing it though!

I read your topic title in the Professor's voice from Futurama :P

I think you should be fine getting premixed water from a LFS, provided they are a reputable store. What are you wanting to keep? That will determine the light that you need. Is this a 5 gallon AGA rectangle tank? What kind of hood do you have? What are you going to use for filtration?

I think you should be fine getting premixed water from a LFS, provided they are a reputable store. What are you wanting to keep? That will determine the light that you need. Is this a 5 gallon AGA rectangle tank? What kind of hood do you have? What are you going to use for filtration?

That was the point :P

The LFS always took care of me when I needed RO water etc, their equipment cost is a bit higher than normal but hey, they answer my questions. I'm thinking of doing a reef for sure and maybe one of those tiny clown fish (not exactly the orange one).

I have two spare filters, a Aquaclear 20 or a Zoo Med Nano 501, I'm leaning towards the aquaclear cause it will give the top of the water more flow so algae/slime won't build up as quick

For a powerhead, I want a Hydor Koralia Nano 240

http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-Koralia-Nano-Aquarium-Circulation/dp/B0036S4YZ0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1348897223&sr=8-2&keywords=Hydor+Koralia+Nano

Live sand, Caribsea live sand whatever white they have

Live rock, I will get at the same place as I will be getting the RO water

This is the picture of the tank I am goign to use and MAYBE with the hood, I will get something proper depending on waht is suggested etc

photo-1.jpg

After some searching I found this jewel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIk4bvffRPQ

LOL ME TOOO! :)

Edited by ahardeay

I wouldn't keep a clown in anything under 10 gallons. You could do a cute little clown goby though. :) Or a pistol shrimp/goby pair, I always thought that would be really neat. For lighting you should go with something like what they had in the video you posted. I don't think the stock hood will work. Or you could look into LEDs. And I swear by AquaClears, they are so versatile and easy to maintain. You can make a DIY refugium out of them too. :)

Have you been to http://www.nano-reef.com/? If not you should really sign up over there, it's a great forum. It's like the Koko's of nano tanks, lol.

Edited by fishtankbabe

Lol I knew it was a clown something!

I was wondering if I can replace the hood with a certain bulb by I was looking into that light they ha in the video.

I was looking around that site but considering people hate me here, I might as well try asking here before anything.

A friend of mine had a pico tank and she told me I don't need a powerhead, any thoughts?

I was looking around that site but considering people hate me here, I might as well try asking here before anything.

People hate you here?! If so, it is because they are jealous of your medal of awesome.

Lol never take anything I say literally, I meant that everyone knew me better here

I'm too jealous to respond to more of your posts. ;)

Not sure on the powerhead, I guess it would depend on your tank and whether or not you needed additional water flow in a specific area or direction :idont You weren't planning to put media in the AquaClear though, were you?

Also, please take everything I say with the caveat that I have never actually kept a reef tank. I just did about a year of research on nano-reef.com when I was planning to start one a few years ago. :P

From what I read, use the sponge, ceramic and some live rock

I had a 10 gallon Nano tank years and years ago... there is a thread in here some where.

A 5 gallon tank you will only need one power head in there. The filter you only want in there is sponge filters or floss. nothing else.

The water for that size, I would go with the pre mixed from the store.

If you want the live coral in there you will need the compact lights on the top, this will help the coral grow.

Fish for this size your going to be limited, you could have crabs, shrimps and such. but no Clown fish.

You will want to set the sand and rocks in the tank and let it sit for up to a month before you add anything live to the tank. You will need a SW testing kit and make sure you keep the nitrates to 0. SW tanks cant tolerate much nitrates at all.

Now you're just bragging! :rofl

(I don't think I can even find anything of mine from a year ago! :rofl)

Now you're just bragging! :rofl

(I don't think I can even find anything of mine from a year ago! :rofl)

Well I am Queen Koko :lol3

Well I am Queen Koko :lol3

Don't forget Super Agent Super Dragon!!! :lol2

Do I need any calcium additives or anything to jump start it? Or just set up everything and let it cycle?

I got a wave point "micro sun led clamp light" so hopefully it will be fine

Do I need any calcium additives or anything to jump start it? Or just set up everything and let it cycle?

I got a wave point "micro sun led clamp light" so hopefully it will be fine

At the beginning you wont need it but later on when you start to get coral and such it will take away the calcum and such. But for now you want "live Sand" and "Live rock" to get it started. :)