Happiness is....a fish who isn't stuck at the top!

cmclien

My poor oranda, Bilbo (my daughter named her) by the end of the day, almost everyday is stuck at the top of the tank unable to stay down for very long. Reminds me of bobbing for apples, she goes down and the second she stops moving those fins she bobbs right back up to the top. She looks miserable if I could put an emotion on it when she is like that.

I finally tried seaweed today. I couldn't find it at petsmart so I ordered it online. I put a 3 inch strip in their tank this afternoon with a clip which they seemed not to notice for a couple of hours and then all of a sudden it was gone. I substituted that for her dinner tonight and this evening as I go to bed she is happily swimming at the bottom of the tank all leisurely and everything.

I have tried to find something simple, this fits the bill plus they seem to like to nibble on it. I am hoping this is my "cure"

awesome :) I tried feeding seaweed once and it ended up all over the tank, uneaten. Thankfully I love sea weed salads so that's what I used the rest for :P I got mine at a health food store so you could check that out next time so you don't have to order more online :)

The seaweed worked but then my piggy ryukin ate a whole sheet (luckily I had torn it smaller) like he does to everything else I seem to put in the clip so that didn't work out for long as he did not feel good after that, I have had to give up on any leafy sheet feeding because he gets a hold of it, rips it out of the clip and then somehow eats the whole thing lol.

But I'm still having success by feeding veggies with every meal. Anytime I do a pinch of pellets I also throw in some veggies. Today was peas and carrots but I also have bought squash and green beans.