tithra

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When that does happen, it will be completely heartbreaking :(

She was my only survivor out of the 5 I had back on 2005 when my ex decided to put dish soap in my fish tank as a way to get back at me for refusing to forgive his infedelity and having him move out; so she's quite important to me.

OMG! You must have been devastated. That is so sad...

Finally measured my fish! Found it pretty tricky, so not sure how accurate the lengths are!

Nightshade - Telescope - 7cms (2.8 inches) - 42 grams

Panda - Fantail - 6 cms (2.4 inches) - 26 grams

Mao - Telescope - 4 cms (1.5 inches) - 13 grams

Gumshoe - Comet - 5.5 cms (2.2 inches) - 12 grams

Goldie - 7 Years old - Common - 10 inches - 427 g

Speckles - 2-3 years old - Shubunkin - 8 inches - 223 g

Marebella - 2-3 years old - Common - 6 iiches- 177g

Goldie - 7 Years old - Common - 10 inches - 427 g

Speckles - 2-3 years old - Shubunkin - 8 inches - 223 g

Marebella - 2-3 years old - Common - 6 iiches- 177g

yay! I really needed more single tail data!

those are some chunky fish!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd really like to know the weights of my fish, but I need to buy a scale for that first. :P Hopefully I can get one this weekend!

I'm especially curious about what my big pearlscale will weigh. It seems like he's not especially large compared to some of the other fish here, (4.5 inches total, with tail), but his round tummy seems massive to me, anyway :D Then maybe I will finally be able to figure out if he is still growing or not. I might have missed them, but I didn't really see any other size/ weights for pearlscales. I would imagine there would be a noticeable difference between them and a fantail of the same length.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems this site has more fancy goldfish owners than comet/commons.. :( Guess I'm out of luck. I don't have a scale to weigh my little 1.5 inch comet and I really want an idea of how much he weighs so I know how much pellets to feed.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's some more data for you.

Chub shubunkin 3" 19g

Shrub shubunkin 2.5" 10g

Hampton willow 2.75" 21g

Panda oranda 5.5" 205g

Maxfli pearlscale 4" 230g

? ryukin 4.5" 197g

? oranda 3.5" 148g

Smudge fantail 2" 26g

Norman moor 3" 58g

Punkin pearlscale 2.75" 75g

Hubble telescope 2" 9g

Opie moor 2.5" 30g

• 2 weeks later...

Small Goldie- 5 in (not including tail) 160g

Big Goldie- 5.5 in ( not including tail) 211g

Reweighed and measured today!!

Small Goldie- 5in (not including tail) 202g

Big Goldie- 6.25in (not including tail) 252g

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

GoldieWeighs52g.jpg
She weighs 52g and is 4" or 10cm long. Goldie Hawn is a Comet. For a video of her swimming so you can see her side view click here.

For more about her click here

Edited by mysterygirl

A problem with tabulating the data is incomplete information. Tithra has indicated that she wants standard length (without the tail), and most people are using that, but some people do not indicate how they are measuring. Just simply saying "standard length, sl, or body length" will make it clear. An estimated body length is useful, but total length is useless unless you give the fraction of the total length that is tail.

The other important piece of information is the variety of goldfish. There is published data on the length/weight/age of feral common goldfish, but not much at all on fancies. It makes a difference what kind of fancy you have. Pearlscales and ryukins will have a different length/mass ratio than the longer-bodied fancies.

Do include age when possible.

People could clarify already posted information by posting something like: "In post #__, I measured standard length. Lulu is an oranda, and Butch is a moor."

A problem with tabulating the data is incomplete information. Tithra has indicated that she wants standard length (without the tail), and most people are using that, but some people do not indicate how they are measuring. Just simply saying "standard length, sl, or body length" will make it clear. An estimated body length is useful, but total length is useless unless you give the fraction of the total length that is tail.

The other important piece of information is the variety of goldfish. There is published data on the length/weight/age of feral common goldfish, but not much at all on fancies. It makes a difference what kind of fancy you have. Pearlscales and ryukins will have a different length/mass ratio than the longer-bodied fancies.

Do include age when possible.

People could clarify already posted information by posting something like: "In post #__, I measured standard length. Lulu is an oranda, and Butch is a moor."

I've been dividing data by type of fish (oranda, tele, single tail etc) ;)

Age would be another interesting point, but I figure most only know how long they've owned their fish and not their actual age, this probably wouldn't make much of a difference for locally bought fish, but fish from RG/DO etc are certainly a bit older when you buy them

You have done that when the information is given, but a few people have just given their fish's names. I suspect you have been looking up the variety from other posts, but you shouldn't have to do that. That's why I'm asking people to put the information in their posts.

Age would be another interesting point, but I figure most only know how long they've owned their fish and not their actual age, this probably wouldn't make much of a difference for locally bought fish, but fish from RG/DO etc are certainly a bit older when you buy them

That's why I said "if possible." Most people can give the age within a year, and that is the best that researchers looking at feral goldfish can do.

The data you are collecting is something that really can't be found in the literature or even on line. You are doing something very useful.

You have done that when the information is given, but a few people have just given their fish's names. I suspect you have been looking up the variety from other posts, but you shouldn't have to do that. That's why I'm asking people to put the information in their posts.

That's why I said "if possible." Most people can give the age within a year, and that is the best that researchers looking at feral goldfish can do.

The data you are collecting is something that really can't be found in the literature or even on line. You are doing something very useful.

Thanks Sharon ;) I know it is incredibly incomplete data and there is a lot variables at play even beyond age and type (feeding schedules, tank size, stocking, water changes etc etc), but I figure it's better than nothing ;)

Jess, Steve has informed me that the fish I have bought from him have all been 1 year of age when I received them. :)

That's what I guessed with my fish from him as well

GoldieWeighs52g.jpg

She weighs 52g and is 4" or 10cm long. Goldie Hawn is a Comet. For a video of her swimming so you can see her side view click here.

For more about her click here

She is 4 inches long not including the tail. She is estimated to be 3 years old.

Edited by mysterygirl

• 2 months later...

All mine are in cm's and grams, excluding and including tail listed. Sex listed where certain.

Carrot - Sarasas Comet - 8.9cm - 15.5cm - 27grams - Male

Pirate - Golden Common - 8.3 - 10.0 - 24 - male

Bubbles - Matte/Pinkie Comet - 7.0 - 11.0 - 24 - female

Lucy - Comet - 10.2 - 14.3 - 48 - female

Vader - Butterfly Black Moor - 4.4 - 7.3 - 17

Chub Chub - Red Cap Oranda - 3.8 - 6.5 - 9

Po - Panda Telescope - 4.0 - 4.6 - 5

Chessie - Fantail - 3.9 - 4.7 - 5

Cosmo - Calico Ryukin - 3.0 - 5.3 - 4

Randy - Ranchu - 3.9 - 4.9 -7