Weight and size of your fish?

tithra

And some more:

Ribbontail, 2.5" body, 6.25" total, 20g

long bodied Oranda 3.25" body, 6.5" total, 44g

deep bodied Oranda 2.5" body, 6.75"total, 38g

Telescope 3" body, 5.5" total, 40g

Telescope 2.5" body, 6" total, 21g

I like this post because with the orandas and teles it shows the significant difference in body type as well. Especially the telescopes, with Chibi being so darn petite compared to Wakka.

Shouldn't have named him/her Chibi :lol

Chibi and Vanille (ribbontail) both have very similar bodies and tails. Chibi is slimmer, but his/her big teles eyes add a good amount to the weight. I think without them he'd probably be a little lighter than Vanille, since he is less deep bodied than her.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sophie is 35 grams and 2 1/4 inches body length.

Felix is 30 grams and 2 1/4 inches body length.

(both are butterfly telescopes)

:rofl I was right!! Your "little guys" are at least 50% bigger than my BIG guy!! :rofl

I started with Lisa (fantail) who came in at 365 grams, but that's as far as we got cause she made a MESS with one flick of her massive fins; back to the tank she went lol

wow a fantail named lisa , wow ff1 is becoming popular :lol and holey progold that's a massive fish

:rofl I'd be flattered if she actually named her fish after me, but I think she had her fantail named Lisa waaay before I was fantailfan!! :rofl And that is one massive fish!! :heart

Fantailfan, you commented about your fish being small. Are they very young?

We've had the oldest for over a year and the youngest for just over 6 months. The youngest is the biggest . . . I guess I've just got a few pipsqueaks. :heart

I have some data if you want it!

Peanut the telescope is 35 grams and 3.25 inches long.

Filbert the ryukin/fantail is 11 grams and 2 inches long.

Macadamia the baby oranda is 8 grams and 1.5 inches long.

Here are some pictures if you want them!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your continued participation in this! :D

I will happily continue piling all data I receive! It is quite interesting.

For those of you with single tails, that data is really helpful since we don't have a lot on the site. I would also love more data for our little ones (2inches and under) and our bigger ones (3.5 inches and larger) ---------- yes, I am eyeing you specifically Helen :P

Also, in order for me to be able to use your weight data I do need length (from head to base of tail - excluding finnage) measurements, some of you have given me weights, but no lengths so I cannot use this data in the spreadsheet.

Here are some preliminary 'results'

1.5 inches:

average: 15.6g

range: 8-27g

majority of weights fell in the 10-20 range

not a ton of data to work with here

2 inches:

average: 25.6g

range: 11-36g

majority of weight fell in the 20-35 range

2.5 inches:

average: 42.8g with outlier, 38g minus outlier

range: 21-125g (125 = outlier), 21-54g (without outlier)

majority of weights fell in the 35-50 range

Most data here

3 inches:

average: 52g

range: 34-75

majority of weights fell in the 40-60 range

3.5 inches:

average: 93g, minus outlier 104.75

range: 46-136g (46 = outlier), 80 - 136g minus outlier

Not a lot of data to work with here

4 inches:

average: 156.5g

range: 110 - 203g

Again, very little data in this category

I have left single tails out of this initial analysis because they really need to have their own category as there are pretty stark differences between them and fancies as one would expect ;) and I don't have enough data on these guys yet (but a special thank you to Fang for most of what I do have!)

• Helper

Ok, I finally got some (rough) measurements of my fish. (I held the tape measure next to them in the tub) I haven't weighed them again because my dad thinks I'm nuts, but here are their lengths (without tails) with their weights I got last time

Google - 64 grams - 4inches

Cali - 82 grams - 4.5inches

Tiger - 71 grams - 6 inches

Honey - 38 grams - 3 inches

Bamboo - 20grams - 2.5inches (Maybe closer to 2)

Abraham - 80 grams - 4.5 inches

4 inches:

I have left single tails out of this initial analysis because they really need to have their own category as there are pretty stark differences between them and fancies as one would expect ;) and I don't have enough data on these guys yet (but a special thank you to Fang for most of what I do have!)

No problem! :D

I love this though, and especially the data I quoted I find so interesting because this is a wonderful example for the misconception that single tails are dirtier than fancies.

With the average weights of the 3", 3.5" and 4" fish; a 5" fancy probably weighs around 250g on average. That means my 5" single tail weighs only roughly a third of that (79g)

That is definitely something that needs to be considered when stocking a tank :)

Can't wait for more on here, and thank you for taking the time to do all this! :heart

Ok, I finally got some (rough) measurements of my fish. (I held the tape measure next to them in the tub) I haven't weighed them again because my dad thinks I'm nuts, but here are their lengths (without tails) with their weights I got last time

Are those single tails?

• Helper

4 inches:

No problem! :D

I love this though, and especially the data I quoted I find so interesting because this is a wonderful example for the misconception that single tails are dirtier than fancies.

With the average weights of the 3", 3.5" and 4" fish; a 5" fancy probably weighs around 250g on average. That means my 5" single tail weighs only roughly a third of that (79g)

That is definitely something that needs to be considered when stocking a tank :)

Can't wait for more on here, and thank you for taking the time to do all this! :heart

Are those single tails?

Tiger is a single tail, the rest are fancies

Mandy would you mind listing what type of fish they are too (the fancies), I am keeping track of type as well... Some differences particularly with chus compared to fancies with more tail as one would expect ;)

You have a fish named Google?? :clapping: I didn't know! Hooray for the Googles! :P

This is great Jess, really interesting. I'll add my little chu Pickles once I've measured and weighed him today. He's under 2 inches

Googles has lost 3g this month :o I am wondering if that is because he lost a little of his tail since I last weighed him. I wouldn't have thought it weighed 3g though

• Helper

Mandy would you mind listing what type of fish they are too (the fancies), I am keeping track of type as well... Some differences particularly with chus compared to fancies with more tail as one would expect ;)

Oh sure!

Google - 64 grams - 4inches - Telescope Eye

Cali - 82 grams - 4.5inches - Fantail

Tiger - 71 grams - 6 inches - Comet

Honey - 38 grams - 3 inches - Telescope Eye

Bamboo - 20grams - 2.5inches (Maybe closer to 2) - Telescope Eye

Abraham - 80 grams - 4.5 inches - Black Moor

I have some data if you want it!

Peanut the telescope is 35 grams and 3.25 inches long.

Peanut looks so much like Phyllis! How cute is

Filbert the ryukin/fantail is 11 grams and 2 inches long.

Macadamia the baby oranda is 8 grams and 1.5 inches long.

Here are some pictures if you want them!

Peanut looks so much like Phyllis! How cute is that? Too bad you couldn't freeze his contribution and mail it to me, their babies would be epic!!! I wonder how much of their weight is tail? I can't wait to get well and go buy a scale. Though the thought of handling her scares the poop outta me.

Edited by smegypsiren

Peanut looks so much like Phyllis! How cute is that?

I definitely had this thought when I saw Phyllis. I will admit, I got a little jealous that you have another Peanut. :D

No need to be jealous. She is the most temperamental thing I've had the misfortune to meet. It's always the beautiful ones that are evil :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here are my ranchu all length is without tail:

Black baby chu #1 10g 1"

black baby chu #2 9g 1"

Google calico chu 25g 1 1/2"

Nugget red ranchu 51g 2 1/2"

Light calico ranchu 36g 2"

Kirin ranchu 58g 2 3/4"

Here are my ranchu all length is without tail:

Black baby chu #1 10g 1"

black baby chu #2 9g 1"