I'm giving it a shot! *determined face*

Akari_32

Yep, a Common Pleco with my single tails in the 150 gallon pond. I got a little 4 incher. There's tons of algea (and green water) that the goldfish don't seem to care about, and it's driving me nuts!

My goldfish mean business and don't take much crap (feeding time is a sight to see lol) but I always make it a point to catch a few of the fish at least once a week to be sure that everyone is healthy and such, so I'll easily be able to keep an eye on them all to make sure the pleco is playing nice. My biggest two are about 8 inches long, the second biggest is 5 inches, and the other three are 3 and 4 inches, and mostly tail.

Just need to get a piece of driftwood now... Wish me luck! He's super cute =3

Here are pics of the goldies, and I'll post pics of the pleco soon :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/103317-the-commons-and-comets/page__fromsearch__1

Edited by Akari_32

This is a bad idea, and no matter how many reasons and justifications you bring up, I won't be able to say go for it and good luck!

I hope for your fish's sake that nothing tragic will happen. :(

I have to agree that it's a bad idea, common plecos are notorious for killing goldfish. If you want something that will eat the algae, why not get a few nerite snails? Or return your common pleco in exchange for a bristlenose pleco. BNs are less likely to attack the goldfish.

Eh, I've seen it work, and I've seen it not work. You never know how something's going to turn out till you try! I've got a friend with a huge tank that houses several dinner plate sized Bloody Parrots and a 12+ inch pleco with no issues. The BPs are slow and dopey, but the pleco just eats his Zuchinni and algea wafers and keeps to him self. But I've also seen people with faster fish, like goldfish, and they've had issues and had to rehome the pleco. So who knows. I choose to be optimistic about it.

I have to agree that it's a bad idea, common plecos are notorious for killing goldfish. If you want something that will eat the algae, why not get a few nerite snails? Or return your common pleco in exchange for a bristlenose pleco. BNs are less likely to attack the goldfish.

:goodpost

These are all excellent suggestions.

I think this has bad idea written all over this :( I don't understand why do you have ponds if you don't like algea isn't algea and ponds go hand and hand :idont . I actually wish I could get some green algea in my tanks :please Actually return the pleco and send me the algea :D lol

I just think it isn't fair to risks a pets life for athsetics.

Yes, there are always exceptions. You yourself said that you've seen it not work. Why choose to do something that puts your goldfish in danger when you don't have to? This is extremely reckless and irresponsible, I'm sorry to say.

It's one thing to inadvertently derive at the result, it's another to willfully chose to experiment something that could have such a disastrous ending.

Yes, there are always exceptions. You yourself said that you've seen it not work. Why choose to do something that puts your goldfish in danger when you don't have to? This is extremely reckless and irresponsible, I'm sorry to say.

It's one thing to inadvertently derive at the result, it's another to willfully chose to experiment something that could have such a disastrous ending.

Because, either fortunately or unfortunately, I like to try and prove people wrong, or have the experience myself to add to what other say. I've kept a dozen bettas in community tanks, I find ADFs to thrive in the conditions the interactions of other fish provide, I've seen other plecos commonly labeled as "peaceful" go crazy and attack other community fish, and fish that are unlikely to get long become best buds. It's all in the environments provided, and the ability to be flexible in care, and to know when to fush over the fish and when to step back and let the fish sort things out for them selves.

Because, either fortunately or unfortunately, I like to try and prove people wrong, or have the experience myself to add to what other say. I've kept a dozen bettas in community tanks, I find ADFs to thrive in the conditions the interactions of other fish provide, I've seen other plecos commonly labeled as "peaceful" go crazy and attack other community fish, and fish that are unlikely to get long become best buds. It's all in the environments provided, and the ability to be flexible in care, and to know when to fush over the fish and when to step back and let the fish sort things out for them selves.

I'm sorry to say, but this kind of thinking is just plain silly at best, and extremely destructive at worst.

It's already been acknowledged that sometimes it can work, but many others it does not. The only thing I can conclude is that you care more about being right, than the lives of your goldfish.

I understand what your saying here, but I don't think risking your pets health to experiment like this is responsible. Your fish cannot choose who they live with or how they are taken care of, it is up to you to provide a safe and healthy environment for them.

I have to agree with everyone else. This is like saying I'm going to smoke cigarettes to prove that they don't give you cancer. Some people get cancer, some people don't but why would you knowingly put yourself at risk when the odds are stacked against you? ( I hope I don't offend any smokers out there with this analogy, I understand how difficult it is to stop once you start)

I have to agree with everyone else. This is like saying I'm going to smoke cigarettes to prove that they don't give you cancer. Some people get cancer, some people don't but why would you knowingly put yourself at risk when the odds are stacked against you? ( I hope I don't offend any smokers out there with this analogy, I understand how difficult it is to stop once you start)

Ugh, I want a cigarette now. lol j/k. 2 years this November! :)

Have you thought about increasing the number of plants?

Ugh, I want a cigarette now. lol j/k. 2 years this November! :)

Have you thought about increasing the number of plants?

lol. sorry! congrats on your sobriety though!

Plants help HUGELY with algae. I currently can't even grow any algae in my pond since the plants suck up all the nutrients. Even with weekly fertilizing, my Wakin's algae consumption is almost completely dependent on daily Repashy feedings.. which they definitely don't mind. :feedme

If your pond has too much algae you need more plants, better filtration, more gallons, or less fish. What's your setup like? I have basically no algae in my pond. A pleco just eats and poops so you'll be no further ahead. Also, I had a pleco in a 150 gallon pond w some commend before I knew better and I never saw it after I put it in.