Snail questions

MexiMike83

Side story about snails. When I first got into goldfish, I was looking at snails for a companion. An employee at my LFS said that snails and goldfish are a bad combo. You see, goldfish have teeth that they can protrude out of their mouths and wear a hole in a snail's shell, and get some escargot. At the time, I kind of just took his word for it. lol.

So, I have 2 fancies and a cory cat in a 56g column aquarium. Ya the cory is a tropical but he seems to be doing fine and he was the last fish I had from my old tropical tank, so he's in with the goldies. Anyway, I plan at a later date to get another fancy and am wondering how many snails would be appropriate. :)

I don't want to be overstocked. I thought I read somewhere that apple snails can get quite big, and the bigger the animal the bigger the poops, but I like the algae control idea. Presently I do WC's twice per week.

Edit: So you guys are saying the apple snails don't eat algae?

lol... that sounds scary! Protruding teeth :P

My apple snails have never done anything for my algae. They appear to 'eat' on the tank walls, but I have never seen a real decrease in algae from whatever it is that they do which is why I got some nerites. But they are really fun to watch.

I know you probably already know this but I just quickly have to say it. The cory cat is a really bad idea with the goldies. Goldfish can get the barbells of the cory cat stuck in their mouth, and have to be manually removed resulting in injury to the goldie and injury or death to the cory. They are on the list of incompatible tank mates.

I don't have anywhere else to put him :( He's been in there for months and no issue so far. It's not ideal - and I realize this but it's the best I can do for right now.

I understand, just have to lay out the risks on the off chance that you don't know them :)

I love love love nerites. I've never had problems with my goldfish taking a go at them, they tend to suction themselves to the wall pretty good and Roos went at one a few times when they were new, discovered the little guy was stuck on good, and gave up. Honestly my female betta pester them more than the goldies do! They're serious diatom munchers which is why they're so great, and mine climb on and clean all my plants. Plus their little radula scraping the glass clean is so cute!

Side story about snails. When I first got into goldfish, I was looking at snails for a companion. An employee at my LFS said that snails and goldfish are a bad combo. You see, goldfish have teeth that they can protrude out of their mouths and wear a hole in a snail's shell, and get some escargot. At the time, I kind of just took his word for it. lol.

:rofl Now that would be a sight to see!

Edited by Sakura

Apple snails that are available for purchase generally will not get any bigger than golf ball size, usually smaller. Just be sure to QT any snail you get for at least 3 weeks since you might get a fertile female. I did and now I have 84 baby golden apple snails to raise :P

I keep and breed apple "mystery" snails (the briggs variety), and they do a great job of cleaning up my tanks. I never have algae, and they never eat the plants. I keep a bunch of them, though. You might not see much algae reduction from just 1. They do, however, like to eat goldie poop, if you feed your goldfish a high quality diet. Lots of nutrients left over form the inefficient digestion of the goldies. They can get to the size of a golf ball, but, I have rarely ever seen that happen. they usually stay smaller than that and are a lot of fun to watch. They live for up to 18 mos, when kept in the right conditions- pet shop snails usually don't make it this long, due to being kept at higher temps (they like the same temps and conditions as goldies), and non-ideal conditions while they are there. If you don't want them breeding, keep the tank filled to the black rim, & make sure they can't get out to lay their eggs. They lay them above the water line, and the clutches are easy to spot and remove for population control. They usually won't lay eggs unless they have access to a spot above water- check the glass tops/ hoods on the tank, though. They can be crafty and lay them on the bottoms there. They can breathe both out of the water, by a special little snorkel, or they do also have gills. I have only seen any of mine leave the water once- and it was when she wanted to lay eggs. She went right back in when she was finished.

QT is a good idea, and I would also treat with prazi at a single dose during the QT...you can also use salt, they can tolerate it at lower dose, but, don't bring it up past 1 tsp/gallon (ideally only at 1 TBSP/ 10 gallons- 1 tsp/gal is their absolute top end for comfort), or they will get uncomfortable and possibly die. They do not, however, need the salt treatment to treat for parasites. The QT isn't so much for the eggs as it is to make sure they aren't carrying any parasites in to your tank in the water inside of their shells. Apple snails can store sperm from 1 mating encounter for up to 12 months, and lay eggs at any time after a successful mating during that time frame. The eggs are super easy to remove, though... they shouldn't over run your tank, unless you let them.

I absolutely LOVE mine, and enjoy keeping them. I have some purple and some white babies that just hatched, and are in the nursery tank now- very pretty! I'll get some pics in a few weeks when they're big enough to take good pics. I don't keep nerites, but, I have heard a lot of ppl love them, too. :D

Edited by JamieMonster

Are you going to sell them on Koko's?

I can list some on here, sure! They wont be ready & big enough for a goldie tank for about 2 mos, though. How many would you be interested in, and what colors? I also have other color varieties other than the purples and whites. Right now, only dark wilds (black)- but, I have clutches galore going on in my tank with a bunch of different color variations- I will probably end up with a nice mix when they hatch & grow.

• 4 weeks later...

nerites and apple snails are certainly the most popular with folks here. Nerites are good for algae, while apples are just for fun really.

I have never had a snail snack on my plants. The type of apple snail sold commercially in the states is one that generally does not eat plants (but may snack on decaying plant matter)

For feeding you can set some cucumber/spinach/algae wafer in the tank for them, but if your goldfish are greedy you may need to separate them in a breeder basket or separate container with food a couple times a week to make sure they get their fair share.

I always QT my snails for 2 weeks with daily water changes. The main concern is if they are holding water in their shells with parasites etc., so the daily water changes help to flush them out.

You should check out http://www.applesnail.net/ if you end up going with apple snails. There is a lot of great info on care on the site.

. OK........ slightly confused, Petco's website says nerite snails live in a marine environment....

nerites and apple snails are certainly the most popular with folks here. Nerites are good for algae, while apples are just for fun really.

I have never had a snail snack on my plants. The type of apple snail sold commercially in the states is one that generally does not eat plants (but may snack on decaying plant matter)

For feeding you can set some cucumber/spinach/algae wafer in the tank for them, but if your goldfish are greedy you may need to separate them in a breeder basket or separate container with food a couple times a week to make sure they get their fair share.

I always QT my snails for 2 weeks with daily water changes. The main concern is if they are holding water in their shells with parasites etc., so the daily water changes help to flush them out.

You should check out http://www.applesnail.net/ if you end up going with apple snails. There is a lot of great info on care on the site.

. OK........ slightly confused, Petco's website says nerite snails live in a marine environment....

Nerites are found is saltwater, brackish, and freshwater. There are several different species of nerite and it is my understanding that some do better in saltwater while others do better in brackish/freshwater, but they are highly adaptable. I know the zebra and horned nerites do well in freshwater, I don't know much about the other species though.