Snail questions

MexiMike83

as far as keeping snails with gold fish............I have a LARGE apple snail..........anything that can go in the gold fish mouth probably will become a snack.....I feed mine algae which can be a challenge because gold fish like it too........zuc. and cucumber etc............all the gold fish like this too................they will eat rotten food and such, I have mostly FAKE plants.......but the snails in Draco's tank (which has SOME live plants) have not bothered the plants............QT IS necessary due to the fact that water can harbor No-Nos in the shell........................hope this helps.

nerites and apple snails are certainly the most popular with folks here. Nerites are good for algae, while apples are just for fun really.

I have never had a snail snack on my plants. The type of apple snail sold commercially in the states is one that generally does not eat plants (but may snack on decaying plant matter)

For feeding you can set some cucumber/spinach/algae wafer in the tank for them, but if your goldfish are greedy you may need to separate them in a breeder basket or separate container with food a couple times a week to make sure they get their fair share.

I always QT my snails for 2 weeks with daily water changes. The main concern is if they are holding water in their shells with parasites etc., so the daily water changes help to flush them out.

You should check out http://www.applesnail.net/ if you end up going with apple snails. There is a lot of great info on care on the site.

Why do you want them? Because they are interesting or because you want algae control?

Both :P I've got enough room for 1 more fancy (still waiting on trying to find the right one) and a snail. But like almost everything I do, I do the research first to see if it's something I can commit to. (Feeding, etc).

as far as keeping snails with gold fish............I have a LARGE apple snail..........anything that can go in the gold fish mouth probably will become a snack.....I feed mine algae which can be a challenge because gold fish like it too........zuc. and cucumber etc............all the gold fish like this too................they will eat rotten food and such, I have mostly FAKE plants.......but the snails in Draco's tank (which has SOME live plants) have not bothered the plants............QT IS necessary due to the fact that water can harbor No-Nos in the shell........................hope this helps.

How much room do you leave at the top? I fill up my tank to just the start of the black rim on my aquarium, I haven't measured it but I don't think that's two inches. Is this enough or if it's lower does the water sound from your HOB annoy you?

My nerites do WONDERFUL on brown algea (diatoms) but I have the horned ones (defense ) against being eaten???.....so far so good, I have 1 horned zebra nerite in with the goldies too...

I ended up putting all my horned nerites in the betta tank bc I have been too scared to try them out with Edie's big mouth in the goldfish tank. They are so teeny. I am hoping they will grow a little then I can maybe try transferring them

nerites and apple snails are certainly the most popular with folks here. Nerites are good for algae, while apples are just for fun really.

This is exactly what I would say. :)

My nerites do WONDERFUL on brown algea (diatoms) but I have the horned ones (defense ) against being eaten???.....so far so good, I have 1 horned zebra nerite in with the goldies too...

I ended up putting all my horned nerites in the betta tank bc I have been too scared to try them out with Edie's big mouth in the goldfish tank. They are so teeny. I am hoping they will grow a little then I can maybe try transferring them

I was concerned at first too. One of mine was very small. But I saw Eggbert check one out, get poked by a horn and swim away, and I haven't worried since.

Please keep an eye on them. They will run out of food quickly in the small tank, and I can't get mine to eat anything besides algae. I move them around from tank to tank if one gets too clean.

This is exactly what I would say. :)

I was concerned at first too. One of mine was very small. But I saw Eggbert check one out, get poked by a horn and swim away, and I haven't worried since.

Please keep an eye on them. They will run out of food quickly in the small tank, and I can't get mine to eat anything besides algae. I move them around from tank to tank if one gets too clean.

Thanks :) My other concern besides Edie actually eating them is her checking it out with her mouth and then getting the thing stuck in her mouth. Right now they are pea sized, which is the perfect size to either get munched or stuck lol. I will wait it out a couple months and see if they get any bigger, then transfer them over.

Luckily, the back wall of my tank is pretty much all algae, which should keep them busy for a little while. I have also been throwing in algae wafers occasionally, not sure if they are eating those or not though so I will keep an eye on them :)

You will be surprised one day to see that the algae is gone. They are serious munchers. I have one in the bookcase tank, and it needs to come out. I see no visible algae, and I am very good at growing algae. :)

I hope that happens! :) My betta tank needs some cleaning up. But I hope they will eat algae wafers once the algae has run out!

EDIT: come to think of it, when I had them in QT I fed algae wafers and they did eat them, so that's good!

Why do you want them? Because they are interesting or because you want algae control?

Both :P I've got enough room for 1 more fancy (still waiting on trying to find the right one) and a snail. But like almost everything I do, I do the research first to see if it's something I can commit to. (Feeding, etc).

Lol I was scared at first too if I could handle the commintment but Nerites seem to love all my brown alge and repashy bits spit out by the goldies during the noming :)

You will be surprised one day to see that the algae is gone. They are serious munchers. I have one in the bookcase tank, and it needs to come out. I see no visible algae, and I am very good at growing algae. :)

I hope that happens! :) My betta tank needs some cleaning up. But I hope they will eat algae wafers once the algae has run out!

EDIT: come to think of it, when I had them in QT I fed algae wafers and they did eat them, so that's good!

Hmm. Maybe mine have never been hungry enough. I haven't seen any sign that they ate the wafers I gave them in the tanks.

Edited by ShawneeRiver

Hmm. Maybe mine have never been hungry enough. I haven't seen any sign that they ate the wafers I gave them in the tanks.

well, they were in a little critter carrier with nothing else, so they had no other options for 2 weeks :rofl they must have been desparate :P

sorry to have stolen your thread a bit mike!

Mike, I love my nerites. They are so darned helpful, their shells are pretty and they leave interesting zigzag paths through the algae. They don't require any extra feeding or care.

But if you want a snail that's more typical snail, you will want an apple/mystery snail. They stick their bodies out of their shells a lot more, so you see more snail. That can make them more vulnerable to harm from fish, but you can see their foot, antennas and bodies.

Nerites are like little moving shells. I see tiny antennas and tiny mouths against the glass, but their bodies aren't as revealed.

well, they were in a little critter carrier with nothing else, so they had no other options for 2 weeks :rofl they must have been desparate :P

sorry to have stolen your thread a bit mike!

It happens :P

How much room do you guys leave at the top for the snails? Is your water level below the beginning of the black rim of your aquarium so they can breathe?

For apple snails I leave about an inch at the top. For nerites you don't have to do this

Side story about snails. When I first got into goldfish, I was looking at snails for a companion. An employee at my LFS said that snails and goldfish are a bad combo. You see, goldfish have teeth that they can protrude out of their mouths and wear a hole in a snail's shell, and get some escargot. At the time, I kind of just took his word for it. lol.

So, I have 2 fancies and a cory cat in a 56g column aquarium. Ya the cory is a tropical but he seems to be doing fine and he was the last fish I had from my old tropical tank, so he's in with the goldies. Anyway, I plan at a later date to get another fancy and am wondering how many snails would be appropriate. :)

I don't want to be overstocked. I thought I read somewhere that apple snails can get quite big, and the bigger the animal the bigger the poops, but I like the algae control idea. Presently I do WC's twice per week.

Edit: So you guys are saying the apple snails don't eat algae?

Edited by MexiMike83

I was just reading about apple snails last night because I was thinking of getting some. It was late, but I read that some types of apple snails can get very big. VERY big. It's illegal to ship that type. Most snails in stores are mystery snails, which is a type of apple snail, and they won't get very big. The recommendations I saw was 2.5 gallons per medium-sized apple snail.