poorly shubunkin

lexii

i've just got home and as i was tanking water out and putting new in i noticed that my shabunkin was just floating on its back, best way to subscribe it is like it looked like his back had snapped and had no way of controlling itself and was swimming upside down :(

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've just got home and as i was tanking water out and putting new in i noticed that my shabunkin was just floating on its back, best way to subscribe it is like it looked like his back had snapped and had no way of controlling itself and was swimming upside down :(

From your description, it looks like he is bent in a C-shape, which is usually very bad news? :(

Since you were having issues with your fish before and you didn't change anything, I suspect you are still having issues with your fish. I think you need to rethink some of your fishkeeping choices so the remainder of your fish will be heathly. There is lots of links to read here and on the main site that can help you make those decisions.

Please let us know what you decide, we are glad to help but there is nothing I can personally do to help your fish until you make some changes with your routines and set up. Good luck :)

what do u mean change anything? yes had my water checked things were ok except my nitrite they said it was off and it was a light orange colour they didnt tell me the numbers, so ive been told to do 25 percent water changes every other day and not to feed them for three days so not much waste is in the tank so the nitrite can get back to normal

We need exact numbers for your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and PH before advising anything. You are extremely overstocked and there is no way you will be able to stabilize your cycle and process the amount of waste being produced by your fish until they are moved into a containers that have adequate space and filtration. If this is not done soon, they will likely suffer permanent damage and/or die. This is why you are seeing red streaks and having extremely sick fish.

Get a test kit, the API Master Freshwater test kit is the best, and get the exact readings from your tank and post them here. I would also start trying to figure out different options of housing the fish as they need to be in lager containers ASAP.

You know all of this as we have said it multiple times, and I can tell you that your fish are suffering in the conditions they are in. Just because they have been able to survive in a overcrowded tank for this long does not mean they are happy and healthy being housed there. They just unfortunately have no other choice.

How much bigger? With 20 single tailed goldfish, unless you are getting a 200+ gallon aquarium they will still be extremely overstocked. This is why some of us were recommending food safe storage bins, since they are affordable and you can get a few of them to give your fish something close to adequate space.

We keep recommending the same things and requesting the same information, multiple days have gone by and you are yet to provide us with any actual test results or change anything with your setup. At least to me, this makes it seem as if you are not taking the situation or the health and safety of your fish seriously.

Ok great :) you will need to have 20 gallons for the first fish and 10 gallons more for each additional fish, this is the minimum gallonage for fancy tails. They will love having the bigger space to grow and play.

*sniped by Ms. Jenny LOL

Edited by ahardeay

My local target has 45 gallon storage bins, you could get food safe storage bins, and attach filters to them so that they have enough tank space until the pond is built. Target over here sells 45 gallon bins for $11.

Lexii,

I think there are two things that are on the immediate must buy list:

1. A good test kit for measuring pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. This will be a drop test, not a strip test.

2. A large food safe container, to put your fish in.

Did you change the stand?

the pet shop told me its a bacterial infection, i asked for the readings they didnt tell me, yes i changed the stand and im on the look out for a bigger tank

Any pet shop that doesn't tell you right away that you have a fatally severe issue with overcrowding is an extremely bad shop and should be avoided at all costs. At best, they don't know anything about goldfish. At worst, they are willfully misinforming you.

the pond is ready for them to go in, but was worried about putting them outside as theyve been in the house for nearly 2 years and didnt want to shock them

they agreed with me that i had too many fish

I think what is shocking them, is being in an overstocked tank. I say, their fate is worse staying in the house. I don't really know what to do for you at this point, because you now risk losing all of your fish, or making your pond water diseased. I'm not sure why suddenly you are worried about the fish switching to the pond when you have been ignoring our advice to treat your fish and haven't been doing anything for them. At this point, you will be lucky if your fish will survive long enough to make it into the pond properly. I would acclimate your biggest and healthiest fish to the pond right away, and start treating the rest with prazi. But from the sound of it, none of your fish are healthy enough to go into the pond, so I am stuck. I can't offer anything more.

Good Luck.

im treating them for bacterial infection then as soon as there all better most of them will be going in the pond, as its ready and waiting with other fish in, the fan tails and little fish will be staying in the tank and that tank will be upgraded to a bigger one

Any petstore recommending this to you is outrageously irresponsible. Firstly, any sort of treatment when you do not know the exact water parameters is extremely dangerous. Secondly, their health issues are most likely due to the overcrowding and extremely poor water quality, so treating them with harsh medications in a tank full of toxic water will not end well. Good luck.

Treating with random medications for something that you don't even know the problem is very bad. And as others have already said...... most fish store employees do not know as much as they seem to act like they do. Especially about goldfish. You need to follow everyones advice and before adding random things to the tank, get the exact numbers for the water parameters and buy yourself a test kit because you need to check this on a regular basis. Your issues are most likley caused by poor water which everyone is telling you but you are not listening. It is frusrating everyone on here because you asked for help but then will not listen. I am not trying to make you feel attacked, but I am just telling you the situation here. If you would like to help your fish you need to do these simple steps instead of just randomly taking guesses. I really don't know what else to say!

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely Chaos is right. Go into triage mode and take the largest fish and put them out in the pond. Make sure that the pond water has dechlorinated and hope for the best. The rest go in large plastic containers. You don't even need to buy filters (at this point). Get a bottle of Prime, large plastic containers and start doing massive water changes. I am absolutely no expert but without masses of fresh water their condition will not resolve.