poorly shubunkin

lexii

Your fish are very pretty, and most definitely should go into a pond, provided that the pond is adequately equipped in terms of filtration and size to handle them. Some definitely should stay inside with you.

The other thing is that your stand as it is now cannot hold that tank. The stand has to be at least the same width and length of the tank, or you will be putting undue stress on the tank, which could cause cracking at some point.

I'll look forward to the parameters tomorrow, and continuing this conversation.

Holy cow, I can't believe you have your tank on that stand!!! That is asking for trouble!!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its been like that for over a year

Lexii, as with goldfish getting sick because of stress and overcrowding, breaks and cracks do not necessarily happen right away. It takes some time before these things happen. I promise you this. It will happen when you are least prepared for it, just like the sick fish you are experiencing.

I just want you to know that we aren't criticizing you and judging you to have a bad tank/stand etc. When there are some possibilities for improvements or prevention of disaster, we point it out. So, don't take it personally. It seems like you've gotten some pretty bad advice from people for some time. :(

People have terrible tanks, but that doesn't mean that those tanks are suitable. And clear water doesn't mean it is safe. Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates aren't visible. And the longterm effects of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate poisoning are serious and deadly, which may be what is starting in your tank. Goldfish can be very hardy in cold weather. How cold do you think it will start getting? Is your pond below the frostline for your area? You may want to put your larger single tailed goldfish into the pond and keep the smaller ones in tanks/ storage bins. It will keep your other fish from getting sick the same way, and it will be easier to single out fish who are already ill. Also, when you get your water tested, make sure they give you the actual numbers in ppm rather than giving you just a 'good' or 'ok'. I recommend sticking to one thread and one forum for this to avoid getting conflicting answers. I recommend this forum, we have very experienced fish keepers who focus on goldfish specifically and we can help you with anything ranging from illness, to tank set up and equipment, to plants (:

Edited by LovelyChaos

Also, I don't want you to feel like you are being picked apart here. There are obviously multiple issues going on with your setup right now, but the fact you are here trying to fix it is what's important. Let's try to take everything one step at a time and correct as much as possible to give your fish the adequate care they need.

Starting with moving the tank is great, and a really easy thing to fix. :)

Getting your water tested and recording the data for PH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate is the next step. Once you report the results back here, we will do everything possible to help you and your sick fish.

I would definitely look into purchasing a water test kit, as they are a very necessary tool in keeping your fish healthy. The API Freshwater Master Test Kit is a great choice, and includes tests for everything listed above. This will give you a nice start to improving their health, as well as give you a better understanding of their environmental needs.

We all started somewhere, and most of us also started off overstocked and underfiltered. Coming here to help your fish was a great choice and proves you do care about them, and we'll help educate you so you can provide everything they need to live and thrive to their full potential from here on out. :)

i have a test kit but ran out of most of the stuff, only have the ones to do PH, i love my fish and would do anything to get them bettter, but with everyone telling me so many different things i dont even know where to start on what to do or what to treat my fish for

Right now, treatment has to wait until we can be sure the water quality is adequate for treatment. Many treatments only work with very specific water parameters, so we have to correct any issues here first. The issue could very well be the water quality itself. Once we get the results, we can begin to direct you in the right way to help your fish improve and keep others from getting sick as well.

i have a test kit but ran out of most of the stuff, only have the ones to do PH, i love my fish and would do anything to get them bettter, but with everyone telling me so many different things i dont even know where to start on what to do or what to treat my fish for

I know it's hard when there are people telling you different things. But honestly, I will tell you that the members here are very knowledgeable and (as I'm sure you can tell :P) very serious about goldfishkeeping. I absolutely guarantee you that you will not get better advice anywhere else on the internet. Even other goldfish sites are not as thorough as we are here :) We have nothing more in mind than the best interest of your fish. Whenever my fish are sick, I trust the members here to help me figure things out and come up with a treatment plan. We all need a little help sometimes :) I really do appreciate you sticking it out with us, I know we are asking a lot and pointing out things that others have said were okay. I know you have the best interest of your fish in mind as well :heart

we'll wait for the water params tomorrow :)

I hope that your fish get better and that we can help keep them healthy with you. (: Just hang in there with us and the people here will help you as best as we can. I am sure someone will be able to outline a good plan for you to help your fish after you get the parameters (:

right guys got it all tested everything was bang on except my nitrite, its a little off so i have been told to give them a another water change tomorrow then go up again monday and do another sample and i will speak to the guy who is good with fish as he knows a lot as for my poorly fish hes started to move around a bit now

• Supporter

right guys got it all tested everything was bang on except my nitrite, its a little off so i have been told to give them a another water change tomorrow then go up again monday and do another sample and i will speak to the guy who is good with fish as he knows a lot as for my poorly fish hes started to move around a bit now

hun, can you put in figures what "bang on" is? we need their actual values. bang on does not help us to help you with your fish. we need the numbers please.

• Supporter

they didnt give me the numbers i asked but they didnt give me them they just said its was bang on and fine

well, when you next have them tested, please insist they tell you so that you can write them down, we cannot move forward with any suggestions unless we know what they are. yes, knowing them is that detrimental.. for the sake of your fish. in the meantime, keep doing water changes as frequently as possible.