poorly shubunkin

lexii

Honestly, I don't think the fish will LAST until next year...............with that being said.......do them a favor get them a bigger home asap or atleast better water quality until you can put them in the pond.................. :D

and I do hope the fish is NOT sick and I hope too the fish is NOT pregnant ..............good luck................ :bye2:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

someone on a fish page said treat him for dropsy

I don't think the fish is dropsying and we would need a above picture to see if there is pinconing. If it is dropsy he will need his own 10gallon tank and 100% water changes daily and metro. Please get the water tested tomorrow and bring your tap water to get tested aswell as the tank water make sure to get numbers. The reason we push for this to be so indepth because water quality is usually a main cause for many problems ;)

This does not look like dropsy, but if you can get us a pic of the fish from the top we can confirm this. Do you see raised scales?

Also goldfish cant really be pregnant in the traditional sense as the are not live bearers. The females drop eggs into the tank and the male then fertilizes them.

We will be able to provide a more specific diagnosis of the issue once we have the water readings :) for now you are doing the best thing by keeping her/him in a separate tank and doing water changes :)

i dont think i will be able to get a pic from above as the fish is always at the bottom of the tank and never comes up

an easy way to get a good top view pic is to scoop the fish into a tupperware container of tank water and take the picture from there so that they are still and you can get a good shot :) But I don't see anything from the pics you posted that suggest dropsy. If it were dropsy you would usually see bloating, and then also scales sticking out like a pinecone.

Regarding the overstocking issue, you really need to get some kind of food safe bins or storage containers for them as soon as possible. I would get at least two 50+ gallon containers, with an aquaclear 110 or something similar on each one for filtration. And this is just the VERY minimum you can do to give them some sort of quality of life. This will at least give them a chance to not suffer any permanent and irreversible health issues, if they have not already.

Normally, just for temporary housing, I would not put more than 1 fish per 10 gallons of water and even this would be really pushing it. Even with adequate filtration, the waste they produce builds up rapidly and becomes hugely toxic to them. There is no way your fish are enjoying life in the container they are in, they are basically just scraping by. I don't mean this to sound harsh, I just want you to understand the severity of this situation. These fish will suffer if left where they are, and ever day that goes by will reduce their chances at a healthy future.

I would also consider the size of pond they are going in, as single tails need at least 20 gallons per fish in a pond environment. This means they will need at least a 400 gallon pond, which would require a filter which holds at least 40 gallons of water. Once a week, the filter will need to be drained and 40 gallons of fresh water will need to be replaced.

The general guidelines for goldfish ponds are:

20-30 gallons per fish

filter that holds 10% of ponds total volume

weekly water changes of 10% of ponds total volume

does any one know whats actually wrong with my fish? like what its got like bloat carrying eggs etc

Here, I will be blunt. Your fish (and others to come soon) are getting sick because of extreme overcrowding. The fact that it is now sitting at the bottom of the tank for over a week means that it is very sick, and needs immediate attention. The possibilities range from flukes infection to various types of internal infection, or both.

From the pictures, your water does not look clear at all, and your water cannot be in "perfect" condition. Also, without knowing what the actual values are, we cannot even begin to guess what is going on.

Your fish does not look pregnant, or bloated. It looks sick, and the sooner you provide the necessary info, the sooner we can begin to start eliminating the various different possibilities as to what it could be.

I look forward to your water parameters soon.

I'm glad you are trying to help your fish, and we are more than happy to be of assistance.

il take a pic of my tank to prove my water is clear, im going to the pet shop tomorrow to get water tested and will speak to them about it too, many people are telling me different things

Your fish are very pretty, and most definitely should go into a pond, provided that the pond is adequately equipped in terms of filtration and size to handle them. Some definitely should stay inside with you.

The other thing is that your stand as it is now cannot hold that tank. The stand has to be at least the same width and length of the tank, or you will be putting undue stress on the tank, which could cause cracking at some point.

I'll look forward to the parameters tomorrow, and continuing this conversation.

thankyou, and the pond is all set up with koi card and a few gold fish, in there im just too worried putting them in now as the weather as theyve beein in the house at room temp so dont want to shock them

mean koi carp*