Sign in to follow this  
melindapaolino

Starting a new tank! help :(

Hello again everyone!

as some of you may know, I am starting up a new tank, and I am very much a newb... lol. Anyway, I am going to do a fishless cycle, and I'm looking for ammonia to use. I saw some stuff on amazon that comes in a little squeezie bottle, but its 8 bucks!

(http://www.amazon.com/DrTims-Aquatics-Ammonium-chloride-Aquarium/dp/B006MP4QG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348721740&sr=8-1&keywords=pure+ammonia)

Would this be ok?

(http://www.lowes.com/pd_214486-59800-19707555031_0__?productId=3246710&Ntt=ammonia&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dammonia&facetInfo=)

Where did you guys get this ammonia! all of the ones I have seen are all sudsy and ugh. :)

I have another small question as well, but I dont know if it really belongs here!

If I am only going to get one fish, should I still have a QT? I dont really have the space! Thanks again, you guys are so helpful!

as far as ammonia goes.............Dr Tim's is a good, safe for fish brand...............others have additives ( why they suds)............

and if only ONE fish you can QT in the main tank..............but others will be on to help you..............Good luck with the new tank and the cycle ... :clapping:

Even with just one fish, you really need to have a QT because when a fish is sick from an infection, you have to assume that some of these infection can linger in your tank. So, if you leave the fish in the main tank and treat for the symptoms only, you may inadvertently be keeping the pathogens to plague you for years to come. This has happened to people, and in the end, they've had to strip down and sterilize the entire setup, which is not fun.

You can try to get the 10% janitorial strength ammonia at Ace Hardware :)

I see your from Ct. Google Ace Hardware store locator and see if theres one anywhere in your area (I suspect there is). They sell Ace Hardware 10% Janitorial Strength ammonia. $2 for a bottle that will last you years. Do not use the stuff from Lowes- it contains additives you dont want. If you absolutely can not find an Ace Hardware, Dollar Tree and some Do It Best Hardware stores sell usuable ammonia such as the Blue Ribbon brand. Alternately, Amazon sells the Ace Hardware stuff but its quite pricey. You want the ammonia to list only ammonium hydroxide and water- no surfectants, dyes, fragances, etc. It also should not bubble/foam when you shake the bottle.