Planning for 1st goldfish

Trimom

I am wondering if I need another tank ... I am cycling a 55 gallon now. Since there is no one in it do I need to start in a QT tank? I have a feeling I do to get the nasties off and give meds. Should I be cycling another tank? I have an empty new 10 gallon I was going to put my froggies in (they are living in a 5). Would that be ok to QT 2 goldfish? Can I QT both at the same time, same purchase?

I am wondering if I need another tank ... I am cycling a 55 gallon now. Since there is no one in it do I need to start in a QT tank? I have a feeling I do to get the nasties off and give meds. Should I be cycling another tank? I have an empty new 10 gallon I was going to put my froggies in (they are living in a 5). Would that be ok to QT 2 goldfish? Can I QT both at the same time, same purchase?

You will need to have a second tank available at all times in case you ever do need to QT a sick fish. You can use a tank (10-20 gallons) or you can use a cheap large sterilite storage bin.

In terms of your first fish, you have a couple options. You can either QT in the 55 gallon, or you can QT in your smaller spare tank. I would probably go ahead and QT them in the smaller tank because this will make the frequent water changes you need to do with new fish easier, and will also mean adding less salt/prazi to the tank.

You can certainly QT two fish together assuming they came from the same source. If they are small fish (under 3 inches) I think you would be fine to QT them together in a 10 gallon as long as you keep up on water changes. However, for two medium-large sized fish I would recommend a 20 gallon QT.

You will need a filter for your QT tank. You have a couple options with the filter. You can either run the QT uncycled and do daily 100% water changes, or you can seed your QT filter with cycled media from the main tank to cycle it. Several here do not use a cycled filter during QT http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/101834-does-a-qt-tank-for-new-fish-need-to-be-cycled/

I personally like the safety net of a cycled filter, just in case I miss a water change, and it makes it easier to treat with prazi if you do not have to do a daily water change during treatment.

In terms of medications for QT, the only things we recommend are salt http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/94546-on-the-use-of-salt/ and prazi http://www.amazon.com/PraziPro-oz-treats-480-Gallon/dp/B0006JLPC2

I typically salt to .3% for the first week with daily water changes (assuming the fish is not showing any obvious symptoms of flukes that need to be treated asap), then drop the salt to .1% and treat with prazipro for a few weeks (4-6 rounds)

Prazi schedule is as follows:

Day 1: add prazi (and .1% salt, keep salt at this concentration for duration)

Day 4: big water change

Day 5: big water change, add prazi

Day 9: big water change

Day 10: big water change, add prazi

(and repeat until you've added prazi 4-6 times)

QT tanks do not need to be cycled as even if you do cycle them, without fish in there a cycle won't be able to be maintained. I personally wouldn't house anything besides what needs to be quarantined in a quarantine tank as then you will be exposing the frogs or anything else to medications they won't necessarily need, putting them under stress.

Goldfish generally should go under a QT process of salt and prazi, which just acts as a barrier to attempt at removing any possible external parasites. It also allows time for anything that they fish may have to show up, such as bacterial infections.

In a 10 gallon QT tank, that should be fine to do a qt period on two small goldfish, but it may mean daily water changes. Instead of cycling the QT tank, why don't you just stick a smaller filter on the main tank that you want to use for QT and let it build up some beneficial bacteria? That way you aren't having to remove cycled media from your main filter when you want to QT. Alternatively you can also do your QT in the main tank.

Edited by Narny105

Oops, I posted twice. Thank you for the advice. I'm printing everything out making sure I am ready. I cycled a small tank for a future Betta before. Once cycled, I had to keep feeding the tank ammonia until I found my fish. Now I'm thinking I'm going to have to do that with the big tank once it's cycled and the fish are in QT. now I'm thinking maybe they can go in an uncycled tank while the big tank is cycling. I can change all the water on a 10 gallon easily

If I did a small 10 gallon uncycled and changed all the water everyday, wouldn't that remove the Prazi Pro as well?

I could be wrong, but as long as there is a filter and you add prime or something to it inbetween water changes, then you wouldn't need to do daily changes, but don't take my word for it.

If I did a small 10 gallon uncycled and changed all the water everyday, wouldn't that remove the Prazi Pro as well?

If you chose to have it uncycled, then you would just need to add prazi back in every time you did a water change when the prazi should be active...

Day 1: add prazi

Day 2: 100% wc, add prazi

Day 3: 100% wc, add prazi

Day 4: 100% wc

Day 5: 100% wc, add prazi

Etc

Prazi is active for 3 days so you would want to add back in prazi those 3 days, the. Give the fish a day off the next day be not adding it.