Oranda flashin? Please help ><

Meetso

I've been caring for my goldfish for almost a year now so i'm still fairly noobish at this hobby. I'm still very hesitant in trying to diagnose my own fish as I tend to think the worse. I would love any help on the diagnosis. I've read on how flashing and yawning may be signs of possible parasites, but I'm not even sure where to begin on knowing what type of parasite or how to treat it. Also; would I have to quarantine just my Oranda or should I treat my moors as well?

Here's a video of them I took just a few hours ago: (Poor Atlas and Peabody are just being mowed down by Andromeda's sporadic swimming. :c)

http://youtu.be/lQhsz6DWHRY

Test Results for the Following:

• * Ammonia Level (tank): 0ppm
  • * Nitrite Level (tank): 0ppm
  • * Nitrate level (Tank): 0ppm
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 7.6

​----------------------------------------------------

• * Ammonia Level (Tap): 0ppm
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap): 1.0ppm
  • * Nitrate level (Tap):5ppm
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 7.6

Other Required Info:

• * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?: API Freshwater Master test kit (Drops)
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?: AquaClear 70
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * Water temperature?: I'm sorry I really am not sure. I haven't gotten a thermometer yet, I'm estimating around 70 degrees.
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? At least 70% every one to two weeks or when I see that my Amonia level is no longer at 0ppm (I test at least once a week)

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 4 days ago
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55g Since the beginning of June
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3fish, Oranda 4in, Black moor 1.5in
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often Wardley Crumbles sinking pellets pre-soaked once or twice daily.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.): There was an Ich breakout about a month ago Completely covered the Oranda and a small bit on my two moors
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Nothing besides the ich about a month ago.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? The Oranda is a fatty and has no problem eating. I have noticed all three of them sit at the bottom but its usually for a short amount of time and then they're back to being active again. When I first got my Oranda he played in the current of my filter which also led me to believe was Flashing and stopped that for awhile. But periodically he just darts along side the tank.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.: The only problem I have had is when I discovered my Oranda was completely covered in what i thought was ich and my two moors only with a few bit of spots. I treated the water quickly with the Ich remedy treating the water as instructed removing the carbon from the filter and then doing a very large water change once I saw that the spots had disappeared which was not even two days later.

Edited by Meetso

Hi there :) Your oranda is absolutely adorable.

I would go ahead and treat the whole tank for flukes since you haven't already. It's a pretty common parasite, and your goldie does appear to have something irritating him.

You'll need to get prazi pro. Most LFS do not carry this but you can check. If you can't find it locally you can order from amazon. http://www.amazon.com/PraziPro-oz-treats-480-Gallon/dp/B0006JLPC2

Until you get the prazi lets go ahead and salt the tank to .3%:

- You can use either aquarium salt or any salt from the grocery store that contains no additives or anti-caking agents. The morton's canning and pickling salt is a good one that is readily available (and it will be cheaper than aquarium salt).

- Salt the tank to .1% tonight (or whenever you get salt), .1% = 1 tsp per gallon. Dissolve the salt completely in a separate container before adding it to the tank. All tanks hold less water than they claim, so we'll assume your 55 gallon holds 50 gallons, so you will add 50 tsp of salt.

- In 12 hours add another 50 tsp of salt (to get to .2%) and 12 hours after that add another 50 tsp (.3%)

- In the end you will have 150 tsp of salt or 50 tbsp. Each time you change your water you will need to replace the amount of salt you took out (for example if you do a 50% water change, add back in 25 tbsp)

Once you get the prazi let us know and we can outline how to treat :)

One last thing just regarding your general setup/maintenance. You do not want to wait for ammonia to rise before you do a water change. Water changes should be a minimum of 50-80% on a weekly basis. This is because we are not only worried about ammonia/nitrite/nitrate building up in the tank, but also the build up of other things we can't test for. Weekly water changes help to keep the organic load in your tank low, reducing bacteria that can cause issues for your fish if left to build up over time.

You are also underfiltered for this tank size. The AC70 only runs 300 gph. For goldfish, 10x the tank volume in gph is recommended since they are such heavy waste producers, so 550 gph for your 55 gallon. I would recommend adding a second AC70 :) Plus two filters is always better than one in case one ever fails.

Hi there :) Your oranda is absolutely adorable.

I would go ahead and treat the whole tank for flukes since you haven't already. It's a pretty common parasite, and your goldie does appear to have something irritating him.

You'll need to get prazi pro. Most LFS do not carry this but you can check. If you can't find it locally you can order from amazon. http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B0006JLPC2

Until you get the prazi lets go ahead and salt the tank to .3%:

- You can use either aquarium salt or any salt from the grocery store that contains no additives or anti-caking agents. The morton's canning and pickling salt is a good one that is readily available (and it will be cheaper than aquarium salt).

- Salt the tank to .1% tonight (or whenever you get salt), .1% = 1 tsp per gallon. Dissolve the salt completely in a separate container before adding it to the tank. All tanks hold less water than they claim, so we'll assume your 55 gallon holds 50 gallons, so you will add 50 tsp of salt.

- In 12 hours add another 50 tsp of salt (to get to .2%) and 12 hours after that add another 50 tsp (.3%)

- In the end you will have 150 tsp of salt or 50 tbsp. Each time you change your water you will need to replace the amount of salt you took out (for example if you do a 50% water change, add back in 25 tbsp)

Once you get the prazi let us know and we can outline how to treat :)

One last thing just regarding your general setup/maintenance. You do not want to wait for ammonia to rise before you do a water change. Water changes should be a minimum of 50-80% on a weekly basis. This is because we are not only worried about ammonia/nitrite/nitrate building up in the tank, but also the build up of other things we can't test for. Weekly water changes help to keep the organic load in your tank low, reducing bacteria that can cause issues for your fish if left to build up over time.

You are also underfiltered for this tank size. The AC70 only runs 300 gph. For goldfish, 10x the tank volume in gph is recommended since they are such heavy waste producers, so 550 gph for your 55 gallon. I would recommend adding a second AC70 :) Plus two filters is always better than one in case one ever fails.

Thank you so much ^^. I'll start adding in some salt tonight as well as getting the Prazi. I know I shouldn't wait two weeks for a water change and I'm normally pretty good on keeping up on them, If for some reason I'm really busy that week I at least try to test the water. I will break that habit. >_< Also; I have read about keeping another filter as well. I'll get on doing that too. Again, thank you a lot! c:

Edited by Meetso

you're welcome :) Check in when you get the prazi (or if anything changes before then) and we can go from there

It might not come in until next week sadly since I'm ordering it online. I was just wondering how long I should keep this much salt in my tank?

you're welcome :) Check in when you get the prazi (or if anything changes before then) and we can go from there

It might not come in until next week sadly since I'm ordering it online. I was just wondering how long I should keep this much salt in my tank?

that's not a problem. .3% salt for the next week will not be an issue :) then we'll drop it down to .1% once you get the prazi

• 2 weeks later...

that's not a problem. .3% salt for the next week will not be an issue :) then we'll drop it down to .1% once you get the prazi

; o; My prazi finally made it here today. That took way longer than I hoped it would. I've done a water change on the 7th so I removed a lot of the salt, Should I put more in when treating the water with the prazi?

; o; My prazi finally made it here today. That took way longer than I hoped it would. I've done a water change on the 7th so I removed a lot of the salt, Should I put more in when treating the water with the prazi?

You want to keep the salt at .1% when treating with prazi (1 tsp per gallon if you're using coarse grain aquarium salt, 3/4 tsp per gallon if you are using fine grained salt). If you are not sure how much salt is in your tank now, I would do a couple back to back water changes to get all the salt out, so you can start fresh. Prazi is not as effective at higher salt concentrations.

Here is the prazi schedule. You want to do 4-6 rounds of prazi, keeping salt at .1% for the entire duration (when you do a water change add back in the amount of salt you took out with the water change).

Day 1: add prazi

Day 4: big water change (50-80%)

Day 5: big water change, add prazi

Day 9: big water change

Day 10: big water change, add prazi

etc. until you have added prazi 4-6 times.