New, lighter, and somewhat translucent color growth on Oranda Wen, is this normal?

apecentral

Ok, long story short:

Water: perfect

Food: varried and proper

Fish: healthy.

Here's my question, my Male Oranda (2 years old) has a nice deep orange Wen. I've just noticed that a patch the size of a penny is growing in a lighter shade of orange? The Wen texture itself looks completely normal, no dischage or redness or anything like that, its just that its a "clear", lighter orange than the surrounding Wen. It's got a bit of translucent quality to it.

Is this normal growth? I dont' have a pic, but trust me when I say the actual Wen tissue itself looks normal, its just a different color that the rest of his wen. Can red Oranda Wens change color or be multicolored?

Is this how Wens grow?

Does new growth start out clear and lighter in color, then darken as the tissue matures?

Im thinking this is the case, but I haven't paid much attention to it before, so you can see my alarm....

Thoughts?

thanks in advance, I know people here have been so helpful in the past!

Edited by apecentral

As with any part of a goldfish,wen colour is not consistent. Any goldfish can lose or change colour for natural reasons. There are also environmental reasons why a goldfish can lose colour and some goldfish can lose colour in response to a illness or treatment. Without a picture it is hard to determine what aspect it is. :( sorry I'm not much help.

I know the lack of a picture is hard, i'll try and get one, but picture this:

A normal wen in texture, just with an area of lighter orange which is kind of, sort of almost translucent. No tufty white stuff or red etc...

Water: perfect

I beg to differ. No one has perfect water. Please indicate the values for your readings. Also, there are other parameters we are asking for.

i'm at work so no picture, and i don't have time to fill info right now. Busy with meetings.

Can anyone guess at an answer?

We can guess at an answer, but we will not.

When you are less busy, please fill out the form I've attached. Until then, best of luck to you.

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level (tank):
  • * Nitrite Level (tank)
  • * Nitrate level (Tank)
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap):
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap)
  • * Nitrate level (Tap)
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * Water temperature?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.)
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

You guys are strict around here! scarry strict! I feel like i've been told "no soup for you!"

:rofl

No, not strict, but we are serious about our goldfish, serious about enjoying them, and serious about helping others in this hobby when we can be helpful. That means that while guesses are always possible, they are not going to be as helpful as actually getting all the information and then making the conclusions based on that. :)

Welcome! :) We're really not scary here :P we just need all the information in order to give you the best help possible. We are thorough :) wouldn't you rather have a definitive answer than a bunch of random guesses? :)

Tithra can vouch for me, i'm one of her loyal subscribers. :) Overfiltering is my game ;) She knows me. :)

And to be totally honset, and to risk shocking the masses, I don't test. I gave that up 20+ years ago.

I was just looking for a "yeah, wen growth can go that way..." just to make me feel better. :)

Hello there!

As said earlier, it is best to know all the facts. Although from your description the "problem" sounds to me like it is a normal thing, it still is a good idea to make sure it's not something bad. You know, better making sure now than possibly regretting the negligence later. :)

I do not constantly test my water either, but it is important to be able to test any time some questions come up. A sudden spike in one or another toxin, an unexpected pH drop or rise; as you know, all this can cause all sorts of issues. Even a tank that is established for years can suddenly have a hickup.

Since it does not appear to be an emergency situation, it will be fine if you post any info you can provide already when you are back at home. Some clear photos will be extremely helpful as well :)

• Admin

Hey I dont like to test either, but I do.. Its a pain, but I found its the best thing... think of it like going to a Docs office and saying your sick but with no other information.. :o

Just saying and :welcome:)